Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from North Central Florida!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 07:48 PM
jbz255 

Bikes: 1986 Trek 760, 1990 Trek 420, 2020 REI ADV 1.1, 2017 REI ADV 3.1, 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack, 2003 LeMond Arrivee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts

After having not ridden a bike for over 20 years, since my teenage years, I bought a new hardtail in 2019. Unfortunately, nobody warned me just how addictive cycling could become. Although I have since sold the MTB, now I have a road bike, a all-road touring bike, a gravel bike, a hybrid, and constantly evolving project bikes. I have now ridden from Florida to Maine up the East Coast Greenway/ACA Atlantic Coast Route on a solo self-supported ride, the Natchez Trace Parkway northbound and southbound, and ridden more trails and paths than I ever knew existed around Florida and various parts of the US. I have been visiting Bike Forums since about the time that I started riding again, since almost every technical bike related question that I searched for ended up leading me here. I have now decided to formally join the ranks of this awesome site, and hopefully contribute back perhaps a tiny bit in exchange for all of the knowledge that I have gained from everyone else's contributions on here!
Old 02-28-23, 11:22 PM
texaspeteII

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, saw your post and extend greetings from the Bellville edge of the Texas Hill Country. Okay I am still a hundred miles to the East but kinda close. Joined the forum tonight but have not been back to this bastion of bike knowledge for about 20 years. Got a kick out of your post as I just got into gravel bikes with in the last 3 years. All road bikes before that since about '92. For what it's worth, began touring 18 months ago. Have done some rides in Texas, New York (Erie Canal, Finger Lakes, Empire State Trail System) but maybe only 1,900- 2,000 miles total, so just getting my feet wet. Not like you, I have a bunch to learn and lots to explore. I was reading your note then looked at the block where you list a REI ADV 3.1 as this is the bike I have been using to tour. Mine I think is an '18 & is an olive drab flat color that is kinda Army green w orange accents. Put a good set of wheels on it, a pretty good set of bags and let the fun begin. My bother lives in Hudson NY now but before he left, he had to have my old 96'ish Trek Single Track that I had outfitted w some Axiom Bags & Butterfly Handlebars. We had a blast in Sept. 2022 riding in New York...right uptil the rain hit in early Oct. Looks like we have (had) some of the same bikes. You have done some impressive riding great to see you are on this forum
Old 02-28-23, 11:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Welcome to bf, from clear over here on the other side of the continent.
Old 03-01-23, 11:46 AM
jbz255 

Bikes: 1986 Trek 760, 1990 Trek 420, 2020 REI ADV 1.1, 2017 REI ADV 3.1, 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack, 2003 LeMond Arrivee

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspeteII
Hi, saw your post and extend greetings from the Bellville edge of the Texas Hill Country. Okay I am still a hundred miles to the East but kinda close. Joined the forum tonight but have not been back to this bastion of bike knowledge for about 20 years. Got a kick out of your post as I just got into gravel bikes with in the last 3 years. All road bikes before that since about '92. For what it's worth, began touring 18 months ago. Have done some rides in Texas, New York (Erie Canal, Finger Lakes, Empire State Trail System) but maybe only 1,900- 2,000 miles total, so just getting my feet wet. Not like you, I have a bunch to learn and lots to explore. I was reading your note then looked at the block where you list a REI ADV 3.1 as this is the bike I have been using to tour. Mine I think is an '18 & is an olive drab flat color that is kinda Army green w orange accents. Put a good set of wheels on it, a pretty good set of bags and let the fun begin. My bother lives in Hudson NY now but before he left, he had to have my old 96'ish Trek Single Track that I had outfitted w some Axiom Bags & Butterfly Handlebars. We had a blast in Sept. 2022 riding in New York...right uptil the rain hit in early Oct. Looks like we have (had) some of the same bikes. You have done some impressive riding great to see you are on this forum
Got into riding gravel myself out of necessity, as those are the only safe roads to ride when I visit my parents in middle Tennessee. Currently have the ADV 3.1 set up as my gravel rig, and the 1.1 as my tourer; I lucked out and found the 3.1 for sale locally for a whole $150 from someone cleaning out a garage. When I got it, it looked like it had maybe been ridden 100 miles or so, everything was in such great shape. Pretty sure mine's a 2017, it has a similar color scheme as yours, but came with 700c wheels and only has a single lowrider rack mount on the fork, whereas the 2018 came with 650b and triple mounting bosses on the fork. Also had the chance to ride a section of the Empire State Trail system during my Atlantic coast ride, crossing the Hudson on that bridge was one of my highlights of that trip!
Old 03-02-23, 01:34 PM
rodymanners

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by rodymanners; 03-03-23 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 07:22 PM
texaspeteII

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all those involved for their welcome aboard. Fun to be here. Typed up a nice response to jbz255 and due to a little glitch it did not get sent or vanished into the ozone. Oh well, what I was saying was that I heard him about riding gravel as I have been doing more of that lately. Staying a little further away from the large whizzing metal objects. Anyway my note talked about fun we had in the Ocala National Wildlife Refuge and how my wife was born down the road in Leesburg, FL. She grew up in Claremont, FL etc.,etc.
Saw his post where he said the color of our REI ADV 3.1 bikes are a match. Got me thinking that mine may not have been a 2018 but was a 2017. Good bike for sure, maybe a little whippy in the frame when you have a touring bag set on and are out of the saddle to get up a steep hill. (I am 230-240 lbs depending on time of the year) Found out from somewhere that the REI ADV 3.1 bikes are really a Novara Mazama in disguise.I do like the 3x10 Deore drivetrain w the 11-34 cassette (10 speed) out back as you have about any gearing you might need. Again , thanks for the warm welcome to BF.