Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you read the road?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you read the road?

Old 03-05-23, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,425 Times in 2,826 Posts
Do you read the road?

I acquired the idea by watching time trialists on the grand tour events. Am fortunate to live in the country-side without a ton of traffic except on the 55 MPH state highways which I try to avoid. But on the lesser traveled roads, with climbs and curving roads, I try to read the road to lessen my effort and/or to increase my speed. I’m not talking about going over the center line or taking unnecessary risks, but taking the more gradual incline on the outside, or inside, of a curve or maximizing a downhill before a short steep climb. There are countless examples of reading a road to my/our advantage. Of course having a Varia, makes it so much easier. I find the mental aspect of analyzing the road a nice compliment to the riding itself.

Who else?

Maybe a better question is how you read the road?

Last edited by rsbob; 03-06-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-05-23, 11:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Read the road? You must be kidding... Absolutely! And anyone will tell ya, I don't ride fast.

It's just a matter of survival. After my last accident I got read my rights. Next bike accident and no more ridding for me so I have more than enough incentive to read the road for sure. I often drive a route tying to determine how I am going to make it on my bike. And there are many routes around my AO that although beautiful I know I am not able to climb. Further more after my last accident I lost allot of my proprioception. So now am I not only reading the road I am kinda like keeping an eye out for potential spots I can ditch if things get out of hand... Ha

In the old days I could blast down a mountain road caring minimally about what was around the next blind bend. Now days I just can't imagine how I could do that...
Old 03-06-23, 05:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I read "On the Road," but I wasn't on the road when I read it.

I read traffic messages painted on the road.

I am waiting for the audiobook.

I'll be here all week ... please tip your servers.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-06-23, 07:55 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I guess I read the road. More specifically…or more broadly maybe…I just pay attention to all my surroundings using all my senses. (And is why I don’t wear ear buds while riding.) What’s ahead on the road, what’s behind on the road…vehicles, debris, incline, etc, what’s down this side street, why is the driver still in that parked car just ahead, will his door open, what’s that smell/noise, road is smoother/less resistant, etc. I find that it makes for not only a more efficient ride, but a safer one too.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 03-06-23 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-06-23, 08:43 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I ride roads with no shoulders so I keep to the far right. I do like having my bike computer display the percent grade, since Colorado offers lots of climbing. With a 46/30 crank and 10-36 cassette I can stay in the big ring on grades up to 8%. I have done 10% in a 46/32. I know my routes so well that I know exactly where to use the little ring. There are numerous sections that can be done standing in the big ring or seated in the little ring as an option.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-06-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-06-23, 09:46 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
My roads are like the encyclopedia of potholes. I read all day.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-06-23, 10:03 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I don't read roads, the road reads me.

Joking aside, yes I do, especially when I am not riding flats. It is important to do this in order to preserve energy, spend it where it matters, etc., especially during longer rides. For an advanced cyclist, it's a must.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-06-23, 10:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by eduskator
.... It is important to do this in order to preserve energy, spend it where it matters, etc., especially during longer rides. For an advanced cyclist, it's a must.
By advanced I assume you mean, "advanced in age."

There is me, the bike, the road, whatever other scenery, and hopefully nothing big and metal and vaguely threatening .... the scenery is to look at, the bike is to operate, and the road provides both the medium and the challenge. Sometimes I want to hard route, sometimes I want anything but ... I never want the debris, ripples, beds of gravel and construction scrap, bits of broken grille and headlight ... nor the sandbars, grass or pine-needle piles .... but I pick my line as carefully as the conditions demand.

Definitely good to really carve a turn coming into a short, steep uphill .... because by the top I am either tired or exhausted, and tired is better .....
Old 03-06-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Yeah, me too. I read the road and decide all things about speed, whether to move over for loose grit or bad pavement and leaves or straw and several pages of more stuff. As well I feel the road so I know how well my tires are gripping for the speed and what other things the vibrations through the frame tell me.

But I stay in my lane, unless I can see well down the road in front of me. And especially I stay in my lane on blind curves with the expectation that others coming the other way may not be in their lane.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-23, 10:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Another way to put it is finding the best line.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-06-23, 10:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Another way to put it is finding the best line.
Admittedly, when in places that have almost 180° switchbacks with a -5% slope, I'm not adept at picking my line. We just don't have those here. But when I go to Colorado and ride, I have to be more cautious around those.

Maybe one day I'll take them with more confidence.
Old 03-06-23, 10:26 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Read the road? You must be kidding... Absolutely! And anyone will tell ya, I don't ride fast.

It's just a matter of survival. After my last accident I got read my rights. Next bike accident and no more ridding for me so I have more than enough incentive to read the road for sure. I often drive a route tying to determine how I am going to make it on my bike. And there are many routes around my AO that although beautiful I know I am not able to climb. Further more after my last accident I lost allot of my proprioception. So now am I not only reading the road I am kinda like keeping an eye out for potential spots I can ditch if things get out of hand... Ha

In the old days I could blast down a mountain road caring minimally about what was around the next blind bend. Now days I just can't imagine how I could do that...
Last paragraph is spot on. I won’t allow myself to go faster than the next stretch will safely allow. Even on roads I know well I won’t make what could be fatal assumptions. Cars pulling out of driveways etc. I do a ride in Western MD that has lots of twisting descents. Nothing like the fear of overcooking a turn and realizing you are going to hit the deck because you failed to use common sense.
Likes For waters60:
Old 03-06-23, 10:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
I ride the road instead of reading it.

Fly fishing and riding are two activities that put me in my "nothing box" meaning I'm not going to analyze the road while riding it. Just ride.
Old 03-06-23, 10:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I acquired the idea by watching time trialists on the grand tour events. Am fortunate to live in the country-side without a ton of traffic except on the 55 MPH state highways which I try to avoid. But on the lesser traveled roads, with climbs and curving roads, I try to read the road to lessen my effort and/or to increase my speed. I’m not talking about going over the center line or taking unnecessary risks, but taking the more gradual incline on the outside, or inside, of a curve or maximizing a downhill before a short steep climb. There are countless examples of reading a road to my/our advantage. Of course having a Varia, makes it so much easier. I find the mental aspect of analyzing the road a nice compliment to the riding itself.

Who else?

Does this differ somehow from the way a person goes about their everyday life?
Old 03-06-23, 11:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by seypat
Does this differ somehow from the way a person goes about their everyday life?
Excellent observation. Its all about being prudent and thoughtful, analyzing the path of least resistance, deciding whether gambling is really the best thing to do in the long/short run and trying to maximize the return while not putting oneself at risk. Winner!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-06-23, 11:46 AM
Maelochs

I definitely ride my bike differently than how I, say, walk around my house, or walk around the block. When I am out taking pictures i do things even differently again, and differently again for roads/civilized locales versus woods and such.

I don't often see the need to consider braking points and apexes when going to the kitchen to get coffee, and there is a lot less chance of oncoming traffic.
Old 03-06-23, 12:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,823 Times in 3,706 Posts

Who else?

Yes, but what I'm reading varies with the situation. On roads with car traffic, most of my reading is just making sure my line is safe and clear (debris, pavement issues, parked cars, etc.), and if there's something that will force me further into path of car travel, I'm reading the traffic around me (Varia is helpful). On a twisty descent without traffic concerns, I'm looking to set up corners for the widest arc, do as much braking as possible while going in a straight line, and looking for pavement issues. If I can take advantage of a downhill leading into a short climb, I will (to varying degrees, depending on how hard I'm pushing that day).
Old 03-06-23, 12:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I definitely ride my bike differently than how I, say, walk around my house, or walk around the block. When I am out taking pictures i do things even differently again, and differently again for roads/civilized locales versus woods and such.

I don't often see the need to consider braking points and apexes when going to the kitchen to get coffee, and there is a lot less chance of oncoming traffic.
I slam my shoulder into less doorways and my little toe into less furniture when I'm on my bike, compared to walking through my house. Oncoming traffic is 100+lbs of canines running to the living room window to bark at something...I mean everything...or nothing.
Old 03-06-23, 12:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
I ride the same roughly 40 miles of road constantly, and I put the segments together for routes of 15-70 miles , depending on how far I want to go, how fast I want to go, and what kind of riding I feel like. Experience has put road-reading beyond conscious thought now - I downshift at a particular point because a hill's coming up, or I get in the drops for this particular section where I want to be aero but have more control over a patch of rough pavement than aero hoods allows, then I'll switch to aero hoods after for the next little bit, or as I approach one intersection where the stop sign doesn't allow me to see far enough up one crossing road I make sure to count the approaching cars in one direction to see if I'll have to stop for them, then as I get closer focus on the other direction which I can't see till after I can no longer see up the first road, or where the pavement is cracked and raised near the edge of the road so I always move a bit closer to the center. Things like that, I find comforting. This also includes knowing where the best patches of poppies by the roadside are, or those several plants of clover with the big scarlet flowers, where I can go into full tuck and hit almost 40 mph for a few seconds before the next little rise where I need to be two gears lower to sprint over the top.

So, at this point it's more memory than reading.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-06-23, 12:42 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
There's been some research among endurance runners on associative vs. dissociative cognitive styles. Roughly, associative = tuning in and dissociative = tuning out. Those who tune in pay attention to the road surface, their breathing, their stride, monitoring their HR, environmental changes, etc. Dissociative runners do much less of this. I think there may be some research trying to correlate cognitive styles with performance, but I don't think the causality goes from cognitive style to performance so I never bothered to think that changing styles would improve my performance.
Old 03-06-23, 12:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I was impressed!

I was hanging out at a local rest stop on one of my extended routes. It's the Rocky Hill Ranch mountain bike trail about 12 miles from my house. Mountain Biking is one of those things I missed as getting old like skate boards, or Hack Sack. Anyway I go there on my long rides just to see whats been going on on the mountain bike flavor of things. There is always allot of intrest in my old rides. But WOW... I am always impressed with the mountain bike engineering and advancements in their construction and use. Some of those bikes are engineering dreams.

But I am also impressed with hearing the conversations of those ridding the more difficult trails. Like "...right before this point hang left for a skip then get ready for a climb..."

Ha... Its not just reading the trail but getting a summary of its plot... Bravo!

https://www.rockyhillranch.com/getting-here
Old 03-06-23, 12:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I ride roads with no shoulders so I keep to the far right. I do like having my bike computer display the percent grade, since Colorado offers lots of climbing. With a 46/10 crank and 10-36 cassette I can stay in the big ring on grades up to 8%. I have done 10% in a 46/32. I know my routes so well that I know exactly where to use the little ring. There are numerous sections that can be done standing in the big ring or seated in the little ring as an option.
"46/10 crank" has to be a typo.

Old 03-06-23, 12:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Well, yeah...but a 10x36 would be able to climb up a tree.
Old 03-06-23, 01:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
There's been some research among endurance runners on associative vs. dissociative cognitive styles. Roughly, associative = tuning in and dissociative = tuning out. Those who tune in pay attention to the road surface, their breathing, their stride, monitoring their HR, environmental changes, etc. Dissociative runners do much less of this. I think there may be some research trying to correlate cognitive styles with performance, but I don't think the causality goes from cognitive style to performance so I never bothered to think that changing styles would improve my performance.
My personal experiences runs the whole gamit of both styles and everything in between. I would think that would be the case for most. Whatever gets you to the next marker. That could be looking at the data on your watch/bike computer, or that song thats pumping through your mind at the same moment. Yesterday I had a 12 mile run. Since this is Bike Forums, it had 1080 ft of climbing.

I can assure you that I used both styles simultanously from the start to the finish.

Last edited by seypat; 03-06-23 at 10:20 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-06-23, 02:24 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Obvious typo. I use a 46/30 crank. My little ring doesn't see a lot of use, but I have several climbs up to 13-14% grade where I can use a 30/28 standing or a 30/36 seated. I use a 10-33 cassette too, but all I gain is a 14T sprocket that sees little use, since I go up a lot and down a lot. I actually get to use my 46/10 top gear on a modest descent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.