Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TDF 2010 stage 17 - Pau - Col du Tourmalet 174 km, Thu. Jul 22

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TDF 2010 stage 17 - Pau - Col du Tourmalet 174 km, Thu. Jul 22

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 03:46 PM
rogwilco
snob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Voyageur_guy
i hate to say "what if" but if there was no chain drop and Frank was still there i think it would at least be a little more exciting.

AC pretty much sucked AS wheel for the whole tour kinda lame
I am almost certain Contador would have managed to catch up with Schleck eventually if his chain hadn't dropped. The speed Contador was flying up the mountain with was just incredible.
Old 07-22-10, 03:52 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by graphix
After the AS AC post finish hug, AC kinda slapped AS on the chin a few times, AS looked pretty annoyed, I can just imagine how much that would annoy me.
I think some words were spoken on the climb, and I think AS did most of the speaking. I think that AC was just letting Andy know afterwards that he heard all that trash, and he thought it was kinda cute.
Old 07-22-10, 03:54 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, this year's Tour has made me see the light.
I shall never look at racing the same from here on out...

This gifting system is great!

Gift a stage here, wait for that person there. The world is changing and this is now self evident. Those 'commies where right all along. Socialized Racing.com. Im going to make new rubber bands that racers wear on their wrists to advertise their support for this new gifting system, and slowly we shall win peletons the world over, and why stop at cycling? Formula 1 racing could take a page out of this book; waiting for a fellow racer who had a little speed wobble off the track.
Perhaps to bring it closer to home, NASCAR racers should wait when they bump and barge in the heat of the moment and knock a guy a few places down, or if a plug miss-fires and loses a car length.

I mean, if you think I speak absurdity, one should look and listen no further than the boos Contador received on the jersey presentation podium for not waiting for Scleck. And now, the cheers he gets once again for gifting a stage and righting a wrong.

I love this new racing system.

Last edited by Howzit; 07-22-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 04:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
What does "marking" another rider mean? Thank you.
Deciding to keep up with them and not let them get away from you.
Old 07-22-10, 04:38 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget there is only one real TT this year. If there had been 2 TTs like normal Contador might be up 2 minutes already. If the organizers want Schleck to win they should stick with one TT and bring back time bonuses. Also, depending on how the whole LUX team shapes up, bring back the TTT.
Old 07-22-10, 04:39 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voyageur_guy
I agree AC has ridden a very good "TACTICAL" race. Thats why he has 0 stage wins this year. i think in all sports the great seperate themselves by being able to "put the dagger" in thier opponents. i guess he can do that in the TT but we already knew that he would beat Andy there.
They "put the dagger" in when necessary. Was it necessary today? Or are you unhappy for not being entertained in a manner that you would have liked. He may still win the TT. He did last year. Clearly, today he wasn't going to challenge Schleck for the stage win. For all of the talk about sportsmanship and honor, now people are on him for not winning a stage. You've got to let the angst go. At least come up with a quantifiable reason for not liking Contador. Its quite pathetic.
Old 07-22-10, 04:50 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Anyone care to comment on the last time a contender made a try to win Yellow on the final stage? Excluding Time Trials of course.
Still working my way through a history of Le Tour. So all I know is, it didn't start out as a celebratory stage, and was still a serious stage (though not always decisive) in the 30s.
Old 07-22-10, 04:55 PM
PurpleFender

Bikes: Giant Defy2, Soul Faith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howzit
Wow, this year's Tour has made me see the light.
I shall never look at racing the same from here on out...

This gifting system is great!

Those 'commies where right all along. Socialized Racing.com.

I love this new racing system.
Those two aren't the same thing. 1/10 for trolling.
Old 07-22-10, 05:11 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
He won the Tour of Georgia that one year. Wasn't it 2005?
Right.
2003 was Chris Horner
2004 was Lance Armstrong
2005 was Tom Danielson
2006 was Floyd Landis
2007 was Janez Brajkovic
2008 was Kanstantin Siutsou
Old 07-22-10, 06:25 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PurpleFender
Those two aren't the same thing. 1/10 for trolling.
Is trolling a new key word you just picked up?
'Nway, moving on to actual discussion...

time bonuses are not in the spirit of the new gifting system now intact. Imagine what would have happened today for example? Contador might have been forced to race for the line if 30 or 40 seconds where on the line in the form of a time bonus. It would have spiced up the end, but who wants that? Even though this is a race, how could we force people to race for the line? More so, he would not have been able to gift the stage after all. Imagine the attacks by Menchov in an attempt to win a stage in the final kilometers to gain ever-so-vital, precious seconds. What kind of race would that be? Not waiting for Schleck after his devastating momentary mechanical failure (nothing due to the equipment by the way -may it please the court, Scleck wasnt even shifting he says, just happened for no reason at all (roll eyes at bike forum)) only proved to remind us all that the Tour De France is no place for those who want to abandon the sacred gift system.
Even Contador, snubbed by armchair commentators on internet forums, and reprimanded by the public, today stopped the peleton to wait for the guy who crashed early on.
Solidarity has always been a staple, cultural, cornerstone of the TdF peleton, and adoption of the gift system only means that any cyclist who dares break this pact shall severely feel the sharp end of ridicule and banishment -Contador sure mended fences today by not only waiting for the crashed rider, but for gifting a stage to Schleck.

Me, personally, I would be offended/insulted by being "gifted" a stage, it only serves the gifter greater popularity points than the person being gifted. This of course was Armstrong's strength above even racing- utilization of popularity points, and as Paul said, thats where this whole gift system started.

Of course the first response im waiting for is a troll comment, but humor me with an actual response/rebuttal please.

Last edited by Howzit; 07-22-10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 06:56 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for me the moment of the day...sheep crossing! baaaa!
that and the guy exposing his rear end...LOL

Last edited by wabbit; 07-22-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 07:02 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wabbit
for me the moment of the day...sheep crossing! baaaa!
Even better, did you noticed they had an "aqua" color mark on their top? Even the sheep were sponsored by Astana!!
Old 07-22-10, 07:15 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is trolling a new key word you just picked up?
'Nway, moving on to actual discussion...

time bonuses are not in the spirit of the new gifting system now intact. Imagine what would have happened today for example? Contador might have been forced to race for the line if 30 or 40 seconds where on the line in the form of a time bonus. It would have spiced up the end, but who wants that? Even though this is a race, how could we force people to race for the line? More so, he would not have been able to gift the stage after all. Imagine the attacks by Menchov in an attempt to win a stage in the final kilometers to gain ever-so-vital, precious seconds. What kind of race would that be? Not waiting for Schleck after his devastating momentary mechanical failure (nothing due to the equipment by the way -may it please the court, Scleck wasnt even shifting he says, just happened for no reason at all (roll eyes at bike forum)) only proved to remind us all that the Tour De France is no place for those who want to abandon the sacred gift system.
Even Contador, snubbed by armchair commentators on internet forums, and reprimanded by the public, today stopped the peleton to wait for the guy who crashed early on.
Solidarity has always been a staple, cultural, cornerstone of the TdF peleton, and adoption of the gift system only means that any cyclist who dares break this pact shall severely feel the sharp end of ridicule and banishment -Contador sure mended fences today by not only waiting for the crashed rider, but for gifting a stage to Schleck.

Me, personally, I would be offended/insulted by being "gifted" a stage, it only serves the gifter greater popularity points than the person being gifted. This of course was Armstrong's strength above even racing- utilization of popularity points, and as Paul said, thats where this whole gift system started.

Of course the first response im waiting for is a troll comment, but humor me with an actual response/rebuttal please.
This is a well said commentary and a very strong argument for time bonuses at the finish. Unfortunately, Contador was doing PR damage control for things that the objective watchers of the tour did not think he needed to account for. He played his cards well. But this is the race as it is today.
Old 07-22-10, 07:46 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. I think that mark is their 'brand'...so I guess they aren't wild sheep but someone's flock. Once on a ride, my friend and I had to stop for a big flock of ducks walking across the path.
Old 07-22-10, 07:54 PM
nausjl

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say that I was super unimpressed by many of the Radio Shake guys, as I have been for much of the Tour. I don't know if Lance forgot to take his injections of EPO the last few weeks, but man he and Levi have sucked. They must spend about 500 times what other teams do, and they have nothing to show for it but super big egos. I for one am glad to see them lose and lose and lose and lose. Maybe Lance will finally be found out for the fraud he is (though you'd think he would have juiced just to win one stage)
Old 07-22-10, 08:00 PM
JTownCitycycle
CityCycle

Bikes: Brand new Cannondale Roadwarrior 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was cool when AS was looking around at AC to see what shape he was in. I always admire someone in that situation to do something outside the act of riding while in such pain. I noticed AC doing that some the other day,taking in the scenery possibly because he looked like he was looking past the crowd on one side on the mountain top,he seems to do it more then anyone else.
Old 07-22-10, 08:01 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
RadioShack is doing OK in the team competition.
Old 07-22-10, 08:15 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTownCitycycle
I thought it was cool when AS was looking around at AC to see what shape he was in. I always admire someone in that situation to do something outside the act of riding while in such pain. I noticed AC doing that some the other day,taking in the scenery possibly because he looked like he was looking past the crowd on one side on the mountain top,he seems to do it more then anyone else.
I noticed that too. It was like he was on a sunday ride. Just bouncing on the pedals looking around like he wasn't making much of an effort. The reality is that both of them were probably riding at near their limits. But it seemed like a paced ride and the smoked everyone else. Pretty impressive.
Old 07-22-10, 09:04 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
In 2008 Dave Millar fades and Vande Velde emerges. In 2009 Vande Velde crashes and Wiggins emerges. In 2010 Vande Velde crashes again and Hesjedal emerges. Where does Tom Danielson fit into this picture again?
lol

Vande Veldes next crash will be in August at the Vuelta.
Old 07-22-10, 09:33 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
... This of course was Armstrong's strength above even racing- utilization of popularity points, and as Paul said, thats where this whole gift system started...
Generally, I prefer not to see stages gifted either (there are some rare exceptions), but were I in Contador's position, I would have done the same thing - try an attack or two from a couple K's out, and if that didn't shake Andy, give it to him on the line. The reason I would have, is simply because of the uproar from stage 15 (which I happen to think is incorrect, but who wants to build even an undeserved reputation as a villain?) I'm not sure I'm understanding the part of your posting I snipped. Are you saying that gifting stage wins on the Tour started with Armstrong? If so, I won't have any trouble finding evidence to the contrary.
Old 07-22-10, 09:34 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by wabbit
LOL. I think that mark is their 'brand'...so I guess they aren't wild sheep but someone's flock. Once on a ride, my friend and I had to stop for a big flock of ducks walking across the path.
That mark looked more like from a tupping marker, from when the ewes are put to ram.
Old 07-22-10, 09:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
That mark looked more like from a tupping marker, from when the ewes are put to ram.
Nobody here's going to argue the finer points sheep raising with a New Zealander.
Old 07-22-10, 10:19 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memorex88
The only excitement was the sheep.
And even then, since no one got hurt, it turned out to be much ado about mutton.
Old 07-22-10, 10:25 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
told ya.
brilliant. bow. Although I really wanted Andy to win. But where the heck were his attacks? He had one....one measly attack.
Old 07-22-10, 11:43 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol...i guess a NZer would know their sheep!!! whatever it was, they were cute. I had a screensaver that was a photos taken during the Vuelta....some ONCE guy stuck behind a huge flock of sheep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.