Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Gandalf the White - SS build for my father

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Gandalf the White - SS build for my father

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 06:59 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
SA 3-speeds will fit 120mm. Their 5 speeds are 130mm, but you can certainly set the spacing easily enough and the gear range is a lot better.
Check it out!
8 speed 120 mm

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=24353

this takes me out of SS territory, but I think y'all have convinced me to get this thing geared. Thanks!
Old 10-24-10, 07:33 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Check it out!
8 speed 120 mm

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=24353

this takes me out of SS territory, but I think y'all have convinced me to get this thing geared. Thanks!
Don't do it; the SA 8 speed has direct drive in 1st gear, so unless you're riding a folder, it's a pain to set up. I you want to go 8 speed, go Nexus/Alfine. The range on the SA 5 speed is pretty good for most applications. If you're dead-set against respacing, the 3-speed is probably good enough for a townie.
Old 10-24-10, 07:48 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

cool thanks for the heads up... don't worry though, I'd run the numbers before buying anything.
Old 10-24-10, 11:18 PM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Open pro's please.

I re-converted my 80's paramount to a geared bike. Someone had a newer low-spoke count Shimano wheelset for DUMB CHEAP! I passed and went hunting for a set of open pro's. The bike looks very period correct and if you didn't know anything about bikes, you might think my bike is just some old road bike. Its a sleeper
Old 10-24-10, 11:34 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project to me! Perhaps the making of an spectacular father's day/ birthday?

The best argument I've heard against the blue V's is that they will attract thieves, so no V's.
Any "deep V" variant/ colored wheelset will attract thieves... sorry.... But thankfully a beefy accessory cable pared with a u lock does a good job at deterring thieves.
Old 10-25-10, 10:45 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That frame though. It's not 25" in a million years.
Old 10-26-10, 04:07 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
That frame though. It's not 25" in a million years.

whatever, dude.

Last edited by Standalone; 10-26-10 at 05:19 PM. Reason: emoticon addition
Old 10-26-10, 05:25 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by Germanicus
Or your bike?
To clarify for others who don't get the name, Gandalf Greyhame (the Grey) was drawn down into the pits of the Mines of Moria as he defeated the Balrog. Later in the trilogy, he reappears as Gandalf the White. Thus the planned name for the bike.

That would make me, the destroyer of the original bike, the Balrog, I guess.
Old 11-01-10, 10:24 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

whatever, dude.
You appear to be measuring the top tube? Normally when someone gives a frame measurement without specifying what measurement it is, it's the seat tube. A 25" bike is big. Not impossible big, but 6'3 riders and above big.
Old 11-01-10, 10:26 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
(the clue, but the way, is the head tube length. I tend to ride 24", and can ride 25", and the headtubes on both of those are longer. I'd guess this is 23")
Old 11-02-10, 07:34 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

(the clue, but the way, is the head tube length. I tend to ride 24", and can ride 25", and the headtubes on both of those are longer. I'd guess this is 23")
I'm posting a photo of the measurement-- why "guess..." ??? Do you think that I'm just sticking it on 25 to keep some kind of silly internet cred?

You're being thrown by the relaxed geometry of the frame. I love the geometry, it's what I grew up riding. Great for regular distance/pleasure/charity/commuter/century rides. It's not even a butted or chromoly frame, really only one step up from gaspipe, but it's pretty and shaped right. Who cares about an extra pound of steel in the frame when you're 60 like my dad and just toodling around or maybe riding to work on a spring Friday?

Anyway, c-t of the ST is the standard frame measurement that folks use, especially on an old frame. Like my 66cm Panasonic or my 62cm Jamis. The bike is hanging up from its rear wheel in my workshop. Too many bikes around to keep them all horizontal. c-t is what you see here.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what frame size fits whom, though TT length is most important to me. But it's still a 25". And I'm big. So's pops. Bike geometry's a complicated thing from what I gather.

Not sure whether I can still post about the frame in here, since I'm setting up a wheel build at the LBS with a SA 5 speed, with drops and a bar end. It should fit in the 120 MM rear spacing. (or should I post a pic to prove the spacing...?)
Old 11-08-10, 04:06 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, my bad. In the picture, it looks very much as though you're measure the TT, not the ST, because of the way the seatpost appears to be emerging at an angle to the tape. Looking again, I guess you've let go of the other end of the tape to hold the camera, and gravity has done the rest.
Old 11-22-10, 10:09 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Ok, my bad. In the picture, it looks very much as though you're measure the TT, not the ST, because of the way the seatpost appears to be emerging at an angle to the tape. Looking again, I guess you've let go of the other end of the tape to hold the camera, and gravity has done the rest.
yup. the bike was hanging down from the ceiling of my workshop/garage from its rear wheel.

in other news, the rear wheel is finished, with a 5 speed SA freewheeling IGH hub (120 mm OLD) laced up to a plain ol' sun rim. I'm throwing an Atala original campy hubbed front wheel on the front. The front will remain 27" until I come across a decent front wheel for cheap. Since the same tube will work for both, I'm not to worried about it.

Part of the idea is to put together a sweet vintage ride with chromed lugs that isn't a super theft magnet.

Apologies to the ss/fixie purists. This thread has obviously left the realm of this sub forum
Old 11-22-10, 10:19 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. the bike was hanging down from the ceiling of my workshop/garage from its rear wheel.

in other news, the rear wheel is finished, with a 5 speed SA freewheeling IGH hub (120 mm OLD) laced up to a plain ol' sun rim. I'm throwing an Atala original campy hubbed front wheel on the front. The front will remain 27" until I come across a decent front wheel for cheap. Since the same tube will work for both, I'm not to worried about it.

Part of the idea is to put together a sweet vintage ride with chromed lugs that isn't a super theft magnet.

Apologies to the ss/fixie purists. This thread has obviously left the realm of this sub forum
Look brah,

This **** sounds hot.

Either post pictures or i'm going to stop viewing this thread because everytime I see you post, I come looking for pictures.
The Balrogs cute.
But I can't keep coming looking for pictures of the bike and feeling this crushing disappoint.
Thanks.
Old 12-25-10, 08:44 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Done. And Done.

Old 12-25-10, 08:57 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

It looks great!

Make sure you get a good lock to go with it for your dad as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who wants it.
Old 12-25-10, 09:01 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

chainline.

I did the fenders pedals and seat. Everything else I left up to the shop, Devil's Gear in New Haven. The only part of the build I didn't like is the black brake cable. They went with black b/c the shifter cable was black and I had a 20 year old black gel saddle on it when I took it in. I think I could have gotten away w/black on the shifter cable and white on the brakes, but I'm not really that much of a color matching wuss.

Saddle is a VO 5. (Wasn't that a shampoo in the '80s?) It was $20 off. My father, who was never all that tough when it came to saddles, thinks it's plenty comfortable, even brand new in 30deg F weather. I had been a bit worried about it.

VO half clips and the smooth VO fenders were on sale for $29. I left the fender stays long on th e back just to give some flexibility in removal and placement on some other bike, since they function fine w/o trimming. I think the bike looks pretty hawt without the fenders, but I really wanted to build up a dignified gentleman's road cruiser.

I have some more photos. There are a few with my father after he recieved it that are pretty cool, at lest to me.

Dad's already had it out twice after being off bikes for 18 or 19 years. He's been raving about it. My mother said that she's not seen him so excited and happy about anything like that for years and years. It's just as fun seeing him with it as watching my little guys enjoy their Christmas!
Old 12-25-10, 09:05 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Now that's heartwarming.

On another note is that quill stem by AVA? Because it looks just like the stems that sheldon brown warns about.
Not trying to cramp the occasion but safety is always first.
Old 12-25-10, 09:10 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

And in the bike mag my wife stuck in my stocking was a picture of this new Pashley 3-Speed FG:

and no chromed lugs...
Old 12-26-10, 02:25 AM
blickblocks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful build OP!
Old 12-26-10, 02:32 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Dad's already had it out twice after being off bikes for 18 or 19 years. He's been raving about it. My mother said that she's not seen him so excited and happy about anything like that for years and years. It's just as fun seeing him with it as watching my little guys enjoy their Christmas!

This is Christmas... well done.
Old 12-26-10, 04:32 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Edit: I didn't see that this thread had a page 2 and the bike was finished. (it's early here) Turned out nice.
Old 12-26-10, 09:16 AM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outstanding job and great post. Thx
Old 12-26-10, 09:21 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
This is Christmas... well done.
Thanks. Tonight's blizzard will be the first time I will EVER be disappointed to see snow. I definitely wanted to get a good 15 or 20 in with Dad before they head back to Maryland. There's a raw east wind already kicking up pretty fiercely off the sound...

Originally Posted by blickblocks
Beautiful build OP!
Thank you. The front wheel is actually from my mother's Orange '73 Atala, the bike I took on MS150's when I was 12 and 13. (so 27" front w/a 700C rear. Eventually the front might get a dyno 700C) The most beautiful part about it to me is its connection to my first years of riding.

Originally Posted by happypills
Now that's heartwarming.

On another note is that quill stem by AVA? Because it looks just like the stems that sheldon brown warns about.
Not trying to cramp the occasion but safety is always first.
The stem does look quite similar-- thanks for the heads up. But as I recall it says something cipielli or some thing. Definitely italian. The shop did the wrap for me. I'd hate to have to try and re-do it myself!

edit: stem is carinelli, botteccia's house brand/maker. Came off a dumpster dive botteccia. Liked it better than the one that was on my mother's Atala.

Last edited by Standalone; 12-26-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 12:05 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful build man. The only thing I could desire is mustache bars, but over all that thing is absolutely gorgeous. Very happy to finaly see pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.