Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Durable 20+24 spoke hoops

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 04:10 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I plan on building a set of wheels using some 20+24 hole hubs I already own, and I'm looking for some durable hoops that are readily available.

Most likely I'll go with Kinlin XR-270 hoops, but I'm open to other ideas. 23mm wide hoops are not an option due to clearance issues.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-13, 04:18 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this for your fixie? I can't think of many road frames that wouldn't clear a 23mm rim.

If you want tough there's always the ridiculously heavy Velocity Deep V.
Old 08-30-13, 04:18 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I plan on building a set of wheels using some 20+24 hole hubs I already own, and I'm looking for some durable hoops that are readily available.

Most likely I'll go with Kinlin XR-270 hoops, but I'm open to other ideas. 23mm wide hoops are not an option due to clearance issues.

Any suggestions?
In alloy Kinlin is the best of the best. I have built at least five pair of them, and the rims were all as close to perfectly flat as I have ever seen. All built up completely trouble free. The 270s are a very special niche product that just does everything as well as possible. Not too deep, not too shallow, not too heavy, not too light, not too stiff, not too flexible. I can't say enough good things about them. No comparison with Velocity which has terrible quality control. And great prices at Bike Hub Store. IMO there is no other choice.
Old 08-30-13, 04:30 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MajorMantra
Is this for your fixie? I can't think of many road frames that wouldn't clear a 23mm rim.

If you want tough there's always the ridiculously heavy Velocity Deep V.
No, it's for my primary road bike(2007 Pedal Force RS). When I run Stan's Alpha 340 + 23mm Michelin Pro4 tires, there's not much room at the chainstays.
Old 08-30-13, 04:36 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using Kinlin 270 hoops for well over 70k miles, and they've been great. It's just time to replace them due to wear, and I don't want to overlook another option.
Old 08-30-13, 08:34 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If durability is your main concern, why not get the XR300s?
Old 08-31-13, 02:40 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qqy
If durability is your main concern, why not get the XR300s?
The XR-270 has worked well for my weight(165-170lbs), and the XR-300 would require all new spokes.
Old 08-31-13, 05:55 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

The XR-270 has worked well for my weight(165-170lbs), and the XR-300 would require all new spokes.
Actually, spokes are the one thing you likely ought to replace along with the rim. They are the most likely part of the wheel to break. They fatigue. I wouldn't rebuild a pair of hubs with old spokes after so many miles. Truthfully, if I had a pair of wheels that old, that had served me that well, I would just retire them and keep them around for emergency spares. I think you deserve all new.
Old 08-31-13, 05:57 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for something a little exotic -- Ambrosio FCS 28
Old 08-31-13, 06:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

No, it's for my primary road bike(2007 Pedal Force RS). When I run Stan's Alpha 340 + 23mm Michelin Pro4 tires, there's not much room at the chainstays.
I'm not sure what the problem is with "not much room". If the tire doesn't actually touch, then it doesn't matter. As they say, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
Old 08-31-13, 07:16 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Actually, spokes are the one thing you likely ought to replace along with the rim. They are the most likely part of the wheel to break. They fatigue. I wouldn't rebuild a pair of hubs with old spokes after so many miles. Truthfully, if I had a pair of wheels that old, that had served me that well, I would just retire them and keep them around for emergency spares. I think you deserve all new.
I would agree with you if I had ever broken a spoke on these wheels, but highly tensioned spokes fatigue very little.

If I start having issues, I'll replace them.
Old 08-31-13, 11:47 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Actually, spokes are the one thing you likely ought to replace along with the rim.
Spokes are one thing you don't want to replace.

Quality spokes built into wheels with sufficiently high tension that have been properly stress relieved last over 300,000 miles when not nicked by an over-shifted chain.

Given compatible ERDs the right move is to remove tension, tape the new rim next to the old, lubricate the sockets (I like to cut half the bristle length off an acid brush with anti-seize), and move spokes over one at a time taking the opportunity to re-lubricate the threads.

I still ride the first set of wheels I built 15-16 years ago with the second front rim, second or third rear, all original DT Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes in the rear drive side and DT 2.0/1.5 Revolutions elsewhere, and original alloy nipples apart from the several I made trapezoidal with an incompletely seated spoke wrench in a road side repair at night after bending a rim on an obstacle.

They are the most likely part of the wheel to break.
Quality spokes in a well built wheel are likely to outlive you and everything else in the wheel except perhaps the hub shells.

They fatigue although the cycles survived are a function of average stress and magnitude of the variation. When you take the entire elbow past its elastic limit through stress relieving the average stress is low and they go a very long time.
Old 08-31-13, 11:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
No. 1; I would not recycle spokes.

Edit: I have never recycled spokes but I just read Drew Eckhardt's post on this. I just figure they're relatively cheap and I prefer to replace them. But maybe he's right.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-31-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 02:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Spokes are one thing you don't want to replace.

Quality spokes built into wheels with sufficiently high tension that have been properly stress relieved last over 300,000 miles when not nicked by an over-shifted chain.

Given compatible ERDs the right move is to remove tension, tape the new rim next to the old, lubricate the sockets (I like to cut half the bristle length off an acid brush with anti-seize), and move spokes over one at a time taking the opportunity to re-lubricate the threads.

I still ride the first set of wheels I built 15-16 years ago with the second front rim, second or third rear, all original DT Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes in the rear drive side and DT 2.0/1.5 Revolutions elsewhere, and original alloy nipples apart from the several I made trapezoidal with an incompletely seated spoke wrench in a road side repair at night after bending a rim on an obstacle.

Quality spokes in a well built wheel are likely to outlive you and everything else in the wheel except perhaps the hub shells.

They fatigue although the cycles survived are a function of average stress and magnitude of the variation. When you take the entire elbow past its elastic limit through stress relieving the average stress is low and they go a very long time.
Despite everything you say, there is no way to predict just how long spokes will last. You only know after the fact. You know they haven't broken yet, but you don't know exactly how perfectly the wheel was built (even if you did it yourself). You are just assuming. Given that and the opportunity to replace the old spokes with new (starting the clock all over again) with extremely minimal extra labor, to use old spokes is, IMO, a foolish economy. To my knowledge no professional builder would ever reuse spokes on a wheel rebuild.

You have to tension the spokes well again on this second build. What you did the first time doesn't count any more. So why not start with fresh spokes having their full fatigue life ahead of them instead of an unknown quantity? I can see you might enjoy congratulating yourself from time to time about how long your spokes have lasted (Please take no offense. I do that all the time.), but what is that really worth against the higher risk of a broken spoke?

BTW, notice the word "Durable" in the title of this thread.