Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Help with dedicated trainer bike

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 07-06-22, 12:48 PM
Gryffin123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all:

I’m looking at options for a dedicated bike for my Kickr Core. Here is what I have come up with so far:

New:
BikesDirect Gravity Avenue A $329.99
Decathalon Triban Abyss RC100 $378.99

Used:
2000s Specialized Dolce $250
2010 Specialized Dolce $400
2014 low-end Cannondale Synapse $500

Old Bikes:
2015 Trek FX7.2 Hybrid (can’t modify it too much because we use it on the road a few times a year).
1992 Trek 850 Mountain Bike Frame, work required to refurbish with new components- I have some parts leftover from my outdoor bike that I can try to fit: crank, front chain rings, cassette, stem, seatpost, but I will need a front wheel, handle bars, shifters, chain, cabling, derailleur, and anything else required to make it fit together.

Alternatively, just keep moving my outdoor bike back and forth (2018 CAADX SE105) my concern, other than inconvenience, is that the cassette is a little different, and that could affect chain wear? I was using a Shimano 11-32 but I switched my outdoor bike to an 11-36. My goal is to get a lot of training in the next couple of months in preparation for a week long biking trip. I can’t count on being able to ride outdoors.

Thoughts appreciated…
Old 07-06-22, 06:23 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
If it were me, I'd be choosing the bike that best matches the bike you ride outdoors the most (or the one you plan on using for your week-long trip).

There's no need for fancy components. You just need to ensure the sizing is right for you and that the drivetrain / gearing is in good condition. From that list, the Cannondale Synapse is probably a good shout.
Old 07-07-22, 07:00 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I faced the same issue last year. My road bike was/is a 2020 Cannondale Synapse that I had upgraded with an Ultegra Di2 groupset. After searching for a while, I found an 2016 Orbea Avant with a mechanical Ultegra groupset. While wanting to upgrade it to Di2, it simply was not practical to spend that amount of money on doing it.

After purchasing the Orbea (FB Marketplace), I did what I thought was the best option to have this trainer-only bike replicate my Synapse….I took it to the shop where I had a fitting done with my Synapse and had a fitting done with the Orbea. Other than the shifting not being as smooth on the Orbea, which I can easily live with, the two bikes feel virtually identical. By the way, each bike has the same saddle on it.

Bottom line….get a bike whose dimensions are as identical as possible to your current bike and get the 2nd, or both, bikes fitted to you by a competent shop.
Old 07-08-22, 10:15 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
regardless of goal i would not fixate on getting a dedicated bike as close to what you have already. plenty of people have more than one bike and they are not all the same.

i still have only one bike and switch it out all the time but if i were i to go this route i'd go used. it only needs a frame of the proper size with decent enough shifters and derailleurs. just make sure that what you get will be compatible (cassette) with the Core.
Old 07-08-22, 11:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I bought a vintage bike that I could set up with the same position as my road bike. It seems like some of the bikes on the OP's list would make that difficult.
The only problem with my vintage bike is that it has chromed horizontal dropouts. I didn't realize how much of a problem that would cause. You definitely want vertical dropouts or through axle. Otherwise any big effort could cause it to slip, and you can't crank down on the QR or it will mess up the trainer bearings.

I have a downtube shifter for the FD and brifter for the RD. At first I had both on DT shifters, but zwift or any other road simulator really makes that impractical. Eventually getting rid of the DT shifter on the FD
Likes For unterhausen: