Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Crack? And if so, repairable within reason?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 07-10-22, 06:33 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

this is a ridiculously clean 1987 Schwinn Voyageur. Everything seemed original and with low miles. This surprised me.

Old 07-10-22, 09:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I had to check to see if this was an old thread because I swear there have been a couple of these posted here. I am not sure that it's repairable. Franklin frames used to do it for a very reasonable amount of money, if the seat tube isn't cracked. You might be able to tell if it's cracked if you took out the bb and looked from the inside. I suspect it's toast though.
Old 07-11-22, 06:46 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
It's definitely cracked. Its hard to tell if the tube failed and that caused the shell to crack at the front or if the joint failed and the tube slid out and caused the crack. Either way, it will be a labor intensive repair.
Old 07-11-22, 06:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
There was a thread in here about a bb shell replacement where the owner of Franklin Frames was quoted as saying "young guys can't do this" or something like that. I'm not young, but I took that as a challenge. I wasted quite a bit of gas and time taking a bb shell off. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I really wouldn't want to do it again. If I had to, I think I would want to set up some firebrick with a couple of torches going and then it might not be so bad.

The thing I think happened with OP's bike is the tube separated because of improper brazing and then the crack went into the bb shell. If it's possible for that to happen without cracking the tube, I'm not sure.

I went back and looked for previous threads and didn't find the most recent one I was thinking of. I don't think it's in C&V. Maybe.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-11-22 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-12-22, 08:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
I agree with @unterhausen; the BB shell can be replaced, but it's a big job and likely not cost-effective unless you can do the work yourself (which I've done). Think carefully about how sentimental value compares with practical cost in making your decision.