Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crashing techniques and styles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crashing techniques and styles

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 07:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
here is a simple question----why would only using the front brake stop one faster?

If one applied the front brake for maximum effect .... how would also applying the rear brake reduce the effect of the front brake?

How could using Both brakes possibly be less effective than just using the front? That would imply that using the rear brake Detracted from the stopping power of the front brake.

If any portion of the rear tire is touching pavement and rolling---or even skidding---it is adding friction to the equation. If you lock up the rear (which is obviously bad technique) you might have to ease up the front because the rear end--sliding---will be moving faster than the front end .... but if you are not an idiot and don't lock the rear break (I keep my rear brake looser---I think @79pmooney or whoever said that he leaves a little slack for the same reason) then having two rolling tires being braked increases the friction over having one tire rolling and being braked.

If someone can explain the physics whereby applying the rear break diminishes the effect of the front break I would like to hear it.

Also .... don't come here talking about "tests" without A.) links and B.) explanations. If the guys from GNC cannot manage their brakes, too bad for them .... but the weight transfer forward is going to be a function of the effectiveness of the front brake, and in no way diminished by the application of the rear brake. The friction coefficient of the front tire is not going to change when the rear brake is applied.

Anyone care to explain how Not using the rear brake makes the front brake more effective? And how using the rear brake makes the front brake Less effective?

Is the Earth really flat? Some guy online explained in detail how it had to be .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-13-22, 07:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
here is a simple question----why would only using the front brake stop one faster?
Now you've done it.
Old 07-13-22, 08:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
If one applied the front brake for maximum effect .... how would also applying the rear brake reduce the effect of the front brake?
Here is how applying the rear brake in a hard braking situation is problematic:

a) Applying the front brake hard unloads the rear wheel, so there is very little force between rear tire and road.
b) With almost no tire-to-road force, even a small amount of rear braking will cause the rear wheel to lock up.
c) With the rear wheel locked up, the wheel will skid, and it tends to "swap ends" with the still-tracking front wheel.
d) This is a bad situation to be in, rider control is close to zero, and a crash becomes very likely. Especially during a turn on a wet road [1].

Rear braking that causes you to lose control — I'd certainly consider that "ineffective".

--
1. Been there, done that. Escaped a worse fate with just a destroyed helmet and some road rash.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-13-22 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 10:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

a) Applying the front brake hard unloads the rear wheel, so there is very little force between rear tire and road.
b) With almost no tire-to-road force, even a small amount of rear braking will cause the rear wheel to lock up.
c) With the rear wheel locked up, the wheel will skid, and it tends to "swap ends" with the still-tracking front wheel.
d) This is a bad situation to be in, rider control is close to zero, and a crash becomes very likely. Especially during a turn on a wet road [1].
Yes, you can lock up a rear wheel and lose control, but that doesn't mean rear braking is not effective. Up until the point when the rear wheel is totally unweighted, it can contribute braking force -- you just have to be judicious in it's use.

Rear braking that causes you to lose control — I'd certainly consider that "ineffective".
The problem with this line of reasoning is that it can be applied to front brakes as well: "Excessive front braking can cause the rider to lose control and go over the handlebars -- I'd certainly consider that ineffective."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-13-22, 10:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts

--
1. Been there, done that. Escaped a worse fate with just a destroyed helmet and some road rash.
Yeah, I actually mentioned that if you lock the rear wheel you are doing it wrong.

Do it Right.

You cannot say, "This doesn't work because I cannot do it." That is like me saying "Pianos don't work" because I cannot play a piano.

I also mentioned how I leave my back brake a little looser so in a panic stop it doesn't lock. You should have read the post before responding.

As I mentioned you can put full braking force---right to the limit of adhesion---on the front brake and still apply the rear brake .... if you know how to brake. (I hope you learn.)

Maybe get some more time on the bike?

I have locked up the rear wheel notably a couple times in the past couple years Once I did a mad fishtail and actually avoided getting hit by a car because I jumped on the pedals and took off in the suddenly different direction, The other time I just feathered the back brake, regained control and did a small off-road excursion because I missed my turn but it was just a little ride on some grass and I didn't fall or anything---did flat-spot the tire though.

I am sorry if some folks cannot ride a bike. But those are not the people i want to talk to about bike-riding, unless they are asking for lessons or something.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-13-22, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts

--
Another way to look at it - in order to have enough weight on the rear wheel to be able to use it for braking, you have to refrain from decelerating fully with your front brake. (It's not hard to show that the maximum stopping power you can get happens just before you flip over the HBs, ie when there is zero weight on the rear tire. Sketch a bike and rider as viewed from the side, guess a location of the center of gravity of the rider, apply the gravity and deceleration vectors and do the math.)

That said, decelerating a little less and having some weight on the rear tire generally works out better. Then a touch of rear brake can be good. But if you have to stop as fast as possible, it's the front that will save your butt.
Old 07-13-22, 11:29 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

I am sorry if some folks cannot ride a bike. But those are not the people i want to talk to about bike-riding, unless they are asking for lessons or something.

Any amount of rear braking will hinder your ability to use the front brake to it full potential. This talk of using the back brake judiciously in an emergency stop is missing the elephant in the room which is the front brake will do almost all the work and the best thing to do is let it do its job. However my current bike has a poor front brake which cannot offer enough stopping power, so I can apply some of the back brake as well. Its totally not ideal and I would much rather just have a nice front brake.

Also i was the only one who suggested taking off the back brake, and it was only a temporary suggestion to people who are worried about going OTB and feel that they need the back brake to help them emergency stop. A lot of people over rely on the back brake and have no idea how to emergency stop because its not how we were taught to use the brakes. People in this thread are 100% right that using the back brake proactively is a good idea for a number of reasons, and that you should be able to avoid situations where you have to slam the front brake.
Old 07-13-22, 11:40 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Any amount of rear braking will hinder your ability to use the front brake to it full potential.
Let me guess ... using the rear brake unweights the front wheel and renders the front brake less effective?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-13-22, 11:51 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Let me guess ... using the rear brake unweights the front wheel and renders the front brake less effective?
No, using the rear means when you slam the front brake your rear tire skids. If it isn't skidding you arent slamming the front brake hard enough or your brake is trash tier. Skidding is probably fine but is less safe. Remember we are talking about emergencies here
Old 07-13-22, 11:56 AM
tomato coupe

No, using the rear means when you slam the front brake your rear tire skids. If it isn't skidding you arent slamming the front brake hard enough or your brake is trash tier. Skidding is probably fine but is less safe. Remember we are talking about emergencies here
Your cluelessness knows no bounds.
Old 07-13-22, 12:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yes, you can lock up a rear wheel and lose control, but that doesn't mean rear braking is not effective.
That depends on what your definition of "effective" is. Of course, rear braking works (is "effective") in many situations. Any experienced cyclist knows that.

But at the upper limit of braking, the rear brake is entirely non-effective, and using it in that situation is problematic.

Knowing how much rear brake to apply becomes natural after some practice with hard braking in many situations, with dray and wet roads. There's an instant feedback from braking the rear too hard, a skid, which a rider learns to avoid. The problem often occurs in a sudden "watch out!" moment, when the rider reactively grabs a big handful of both brakes. This reaction can also be unlearned by practicing emergency braking.

Old 07-13-22, 12:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yeah, I actually mentioned that if you lock the rear wheel you are doing it wrong.
In a hard braking maneuver, where you are at the limit, using any amount of rear brake is "doing it wrong", because that will lock the rear wheel.

If braking the rear doesn't lock the rear wheel, you weren't at the braking limit.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-13-22, 01:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If someone can’t control the rear brake enough not to skid, than what makes you think they can control the front enough not to go OTB?

A momentary skid is really not that big of a deal. You just let off a tad. Unless you are turning while braking, the rear end is not going to instantly and suddenly come around.
Old 07-13-22, 02:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If someone can’t control the rear brake enough not to skid, than what makes you think they can control the front enough not to go OTB?
It is really hard to brake hard enough to send the rider over the bars.

Old 07-13-22, 02:29 PM
LarrySellerz

Its ok Terry they just don't know how to use the front brake well enough to the point that using the back messes them up. Its a common problem but if they are defensive riders it shouldn't ever negatively impact them. This is a thread about crashing though so they might want to learn how to use the front brake.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-13-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-13-22, 02:31 PM
LarrySellerz

thats only true if youre used to moving your body weight to compensate
Old 07-13-22, 02:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Kapusta

A momentary skid is really not that big of a deal.
True but its not ideal and can be avoided by just not using the back brake during an emergency stop.
Old 07-13-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

55 years of bicycling, and I've never managed to skid the rear wheel except with coaster brakes (we did that for fun when I was a kid)
It is extremely difficult to lock the rear wheel sufficiently to produce a skid with rim brakes. Somebody actually managing to do it with discs?
Old 07-13-22, 02:52 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
I suspect that for most of us posting here, we've been riding long enough for our techniques of brake use to have become nearly reflexive.

On my ride today, I decided to pay attention to what I do when I'm braking. I discovered that I apparently nearly always initiate braking with the rear brake and bring the front brake in gradually. Given that that habit has developed over the course of over six decades of riding, I imagine it's proven to be the safest approach.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-13-22, 03:22 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I suspect that for most of us posting here, we've been riding long enough for our techniques of brake use to have become nearly reflexive.

On my ride today, I decided to pay attention to what I do when I'm braking. I discovered that I apparently nearly always initiate braking with the rear brake and bring the front brake in gradually. Given that that habit has developed over the course of over six decades of riding, I imagine it's proven to be the safest approach.
I do it this way as well, started it in the mid 80s when I got my Schwinn Enduro with rim brakes. I had coaster brakes before that. My first time riding it my dad said, probably as a joke, something about squeezing the front too hard and flipping over.

I don't see any reason to change now.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-13-22, 04:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It is extremely difficult to lock the rear wheel sufficiently to produce a skid with rim brakes. Somebody actually managing to do it with discs?
Huh? It's trivially easy to lock up the rear wheel with the rear brake. Any type of rear brake.

Did you mean it is extremely difficult to lock the front wheel? Now that is true, it's virtually impossible on hard pavement.

Old 07-13-22, 04:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

thats only true if youre used to moving your body weight to compensate
Nah, it's always pretty darn hard to accomplish an over-the-bars accident when braking. Even when you stay planted in the saddle, rather than push your butt off the back (the standard emergency braking position).

Old 07-13-22, 04:41 PM
tomato coupe

That depends on what your definition of "effective" is. Of course, rear braking works (is "effective") in many situations. Any experienced cyclist knows that.
Effective means the brake assists in stopping the bike.

But at the upper limit of braking, the rear brake is entirely non-effective, and using it in that situation is problematic.
Just because the rear brake becomes ineffective during a specific phase of an emergency stop, doesn't mean it's not at all effective. Even in an emergency stop, you don't instantaneously transition from full weighting on the rear wheel to zero weighting on the rear wheel. The rear brake can certainly be used effectively during that transition time.

Knowing how much rear brake to apply becomes natural after some practice with hard braking in many situations, with dray and wet roads. There's an instant feedback from braking the rear too hard, a skid, which a rider learns to avoid. The problem often occurs in a sudden "watch out!" moment, when the rider reactively grabs a big handful of both brakes. This reaction can also be unlearned by practicing emergency braking.
You're arguing that the rear brake is ineffective in an emergency situation where "the rider reactively grabs a big handful of both brakes." That's just a statement that the rear brake is ineffective when used improperly.
Zero weight on the rear wheel is the immediate precursor to going over the bars. So, if it's really hard to send the rider over the bars, then it's also pretty hard to totally unweight the rear wheel.
Old 07-13-22, 04:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

You're arguing that the rear brake is ineffective in an emergency situation where "the rider reactively grabs a big handful of both brakes." That's just a statement that the rear brake is ineffective when used improperly.
My description of when a rider applies too much rear braking in an emergency situation is not "just a statement that the rear brake is ineffective when used improperly".

Using a rear brake in that way is common, and also hazardous.

Old 07-13-22, 05:17 PM
tomato coupe

My description of when a rider applies too much rear braking in an emergency situation is not "just a statement that the rear brake is ineffective when used improperly".

Using a rear brake in that way is common, and also hazardous.
You stated that a rear brake can be used effectively with practice. What's preventing people from learning to use the rear brake effectively during an emergency stop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.