Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Completely new to owning a bike just wanted to ask a quick question about pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: Is this right?
Yes this is normal
50.00%
No it needs fixing
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Completely new to owning a bike just wanted to ask a quick question about pedals

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 07:16 AM
Tammynovice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Im completely new to bikes and just bought a used bike £10 to learn how to ride on ( im 22). everything seems to be in working order I pumped up the tyres, as that was the only fault specified, gears seem to work as they click into place, and it moves only had a quick question about pedals. if I push the pedal backwards with my hands it spins but I can't push the pedal forward with my hand. It moves when I'm sitting on the bike and I put some pressure on the pedal it does make the bike move forward but if I'm not sitting on the bike I can't make the pedal move forward with just my arm I just wanted to check if that's right? it still moves if I put pressure on the pedal with my foot just not with my hand.

Last edited by Tammynovice; 07-31-22 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 07:24 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The first thing I think of is that your legs are stronger than your arms are and there's some friction that your arms can't over come but your legs do. A common cause is a rubbing brake. There are other reasons this might be happening but a brake pad pressing on the rim's side wall happens often. Andy
Old 07-31-22, 07:49 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Try to isolate the problem. Can you spin the rear wheel freely forward and backward without peddaling, is it hard to pedal in all the different gears? The fact that it moves easily pedaling backwards can at least rule out, to some extent, a stiff chain, gunked up derailleur pulley wheels and a bad bottom bracket (the bearing that your crankset turns on). Also, I'm assuming you live in the UK and in the US we have co-op's where people there can offer you, assistance, advice and tools to use for usually a nominal fee to work on your bike. Not sure if they use the same name where you live but something to look into.
Old 07-31-22, 10:07 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Having some difficulty visualizing your issue . If your bike is standing with both wheels on a solid surface (driveway, road, street, etc.), pressing down on the forward pedal will make the bike roll forward. If the bike is kept from rolling forward, you won’t be able to move the crank arm by pushing on the pedal. If the rear wheel is lifted off of the solid surface and free to spin in both directions, you should be able to push the forward crank arm down with just your hand. If not there’s an issue.
Old 07-31-22, 10:21 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 340 Posts
You could always turn the bike upside down and stand it on a flat surface.
That's 'frowned' upon because it may damage cables etc long term,
But if you do that the back wheel should be free to rotate in both directions and you can check if the pedals rotate freely or if anything is sticking.
Old 07-31-22, 10:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Is the rear wheel on the ground when you try to move the pedal and crankarm with your hand? If so, then lift up the rear wheel so it can spin freely and then try moving the pedal and crankarm with your hand.

If this is multiple speed bike then depending on what gear ratio is selected, even with the wheel off the ground it might be difficult to turn the crank/pedals initially if in a high ratio gear selection.

Oh...

Putting air in your tires is a normal thing to do. Depending on a lot of stuff, this might be something you do weekly or every time you ride the bike. With my 700C 25mm tires and butyl rubber tubes I usually have to air up my tires every every other ride, or about every 4 days to keep them within the pressure I prefer to ride. The thin higher pressure tubes and tires we use for cycling aren't like the big low pressure tires we use on our cars.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-31-22 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-02-22, 06:48 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-02-22, 07:00 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Well, your supposed to pedal a bike with your feet anyway, so I think your good.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 08-03-22, 09:33 AM
Tammynovice

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why laughing?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Why laugh?
Old 08-03-22, 09:35 AM
Tammynovice

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted by Tammynovice
Im completely new to bikes and just bought a used bike £10 to learn how to ride on ( im 22). everything seems to be in working order I pumped up the tyres, as that was the only fault specified, gears seem to work as they click into place, and it moves only had a quick question about pedals. if I push the pedal backwards with my hands it spins but I can't push the pedal forward with my hand. It moves when I'm sitting on the bike and I put some pressure on the pedal it does make the bike move forward but if I'm not sitting on the bike I can't make the pedal move forward with just my arm I just wanted to check if that's right? it still moves if I put pressure on the pedal with my foot just not with my hand.

Old 08-03-22, 09:37 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Why laugh?
Insane, nonsensical post.
Old 08-03-22, 09:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts

Does this post mean you have found what was going on? If so please share so we can stop wondering what you really were experiencing. Andy
Old 08-03-22, 10:42 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
no.
Not everyone is good at mechanical things. Standing next to the bike, trying to spin the crank forward with both wheels on the ground, the crank won't spin forward, but will go backward, just like the OP asked.
You and I know to have the rear wheel off the ground, or notice that the bike is trying to move forward. It's not obvious to every person.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 08-03-22, 10:45 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Have someone hold the seat to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Can you turn the pedal and crank arm to spin the rear wheel forward, or is it very hard to turn? It should turn easily with light hand pressure. If it's very hard to turn, the bearings at the crank axle probably need servicing. (I'm guessing it's easy to turn, though.)
Old 08-03-22, 11:33 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by rm -rf
You and I know to have the rear wheel off the ground, or notice that the bike is trying to move forward. It's not obvious to every person.
It's not??
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-03-22, 02:25 PM
Tammynovice

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Does this post mean you have found what was going on? If so please share so we can stop wondering what you really were experiencing. Andy
i think it was just me not understanding how bikes work i didnt know the pedals would not move forward without the back tyre up so i thought it was stiff, this is the first bike ive had so im just learning the basics. But thanks to the people here im getting there
Likes For Tammynovice:
Old 08-03-22, 02:28 PM
Tammynovice

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thats a bit rude i said ive never had a bike before. this is the first time ive even been around one i dont know thatkind of stuff i saw the pedal spin backwards and not forwards and thought it might be a problem now i know its not a problem this stuff isnt common knowledge to me
Old 08-03-22, 02:30 PM
Tammynovice

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Have someone hold the seat to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Can you turn the pedal and crank arm to spin the rear wheel forward, or is it very hard to turn? It should turn easily with light hand pressure. If it's very hard to turn, the bearings at the crank axle probably need servicing. (I'm guessing it's easy to turn, though.)
yep it spins freely when the back tyres up!
Likes For Tammynovice:
Old 08-03-22, 02:41 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
First: welcome to Bike Forums. I don't think anyone has welcomed you here yet.

Second: please don't be put off by a couple of the somewhat terse responses above. Some of the commenters here are literally professional bike mechanics with years or decades of experience, or are amateurs with similar levels of expertise who've worked on and around their own bikes most of their lives. It's easy to forget that newcomers really can be completely naive concerning a given subject - and they often have answered the same question literally hundreds of times before.

That can get tiresome, and sometimes it shows. Replies are sometimes terse or abrasive as a result.

Please stick around. This is a great place to learn the practical and technical end of biking. Whether or not that's your "thing", knowledge about how your equipment works is always good. It can help you get out of a jam - or avoid getting taken.

Again: welcome. I'm glad you got an answer to your question.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 08-03-22, 02:52 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
yea, this place can be kinda harsh. jus sayin
Old 08-03-22, 03:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

thats a bit rude i said ive never had a bike before. this is the first time ive even been around one i dont know thatkind of stuff i saw the pedal spin backwards and not forwards and thought it might be a problem now i know its not a problem this stuff isnt common knowledge to me
Sorry. It sounded so absurd, I just assumed you were trolling us. The next question I expected was, "is the seat for sitting? Where do my hands go?"
Old 08-03-22, 05:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Just one of the many people that have achieved my Ignore List.
Old 08-04-22, 05:47 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
yep it spins freely when the back tyres up!
Cool! Now you have to post a picture of the bike so everyone here can give you all sorts of unsolicited advice! This is a fun forum and you can learn a ton on how to care for your new ride. No matter how obscure a problem, someone here always has the answer.