Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 Gear Rations not reading on Garmin 1030+

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 04:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

On today's ride I bought up the screen on my 1030+ that is suppose to show the Di2 gear ratios. The ratios are supposed to be read wirelessly from the Di2 unit. Instead all I saw was 0.0 and 0 - 0.

I am fairly certain the 1030+ is getting the wireless signal from the Di2 unit since the 1030+ is showing me batter life. Just no gear ratio information. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Do I need to program the 1030+ somehow to properly understand the gear ratios?

Thank you.
Old 08-01-22, 06:11 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I just set mine up the other day but I don't remember if you put in the cassette and chainring size/count in the Shimano E-tube app or on the 1030. I'm only guessing but you may want to first ensure that the correct cassette/chainring sizes have been entered correctly. Sorry I can't be more specific since I don't have either in front of me right now.
Old 08-02-22, 02:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Did you put the field on your screen? There are a bunch of Di2 related fields you can add to most any screen. But you do have to add them.

If the chain rings and cogs aren't properly defined in e-Tube then the info on your Garmin will be wrong for many of the Di2 fields.
Old 08-03-22, 10:12 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks Iride01 I dove deeper into the Di2 setup on the 1030+ and saw that I needed to setup the chain rings/cogs. For some reason I thought the 1030+ would automatically know the information.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-08-22, 08:48 AM
roadie276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Which version of Di2? I have the combo front/rear display widget thing on my Garmin Edge 530, and I never installed E-tube on my phone, and never configured any gears anywhere (just paired the Di2 levers with the trip computer). This is on Ultegra 8200 Di2. I also notice that before the computer's found the shifters, it shows a placeholder thing that doesn't say how many gears it has. Pretty sure this means the info must be coming over on the fly? Dunno about vagaries of previous versions of things, firmware, etc, though.
Old 08-08-22, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by roadie276
Which version of Di2? I have the combo front/rear display widget thing on my Garmin Edge 530, and I never installed E-tube on my phone, and never configured any gears anywhere (just paired the Di2 levers with the trip computer). This is on Ultegra 8200 Di2. I also notice that before the computer's found the shifters, it shows a placeholder thing that doesn't say how many gears it has. Pretty sure this means the info must be coming over on the fly? Dunno about vagaries of previous versions of things, firmware, etc, though.
Doesn't matter what version of Di2 for the issue of the OP.

Yes the info about gears and such is reported to the Garmin or other device through the wireless connection of Di2. eTube isn't needed if the settings match. But I suppose if you built out your own Di2 bike and used the junction box to set all the required adjustments, then the defaults might not match at all.

On the Garmin device and others, it might just show placeholders for things until the Di2 on the bike is woke up each time. Don't know for certain. Might be something to check out just for ***** and grins.

Pretty much no vagaries of previous versions or things, firmware, etc. They all pretty much worked the same and provided that info through the wireless interface to devices capable of displaying it.
Old 08-09-22, 01:57 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Just to check the obvious - you did shift gears? Di2 only sends gear info when you shift.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-09-22, 02:07 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I think you need the wifi dohicky if you are running 11sp.. 12sp has it built in but not 11
Old 08-09-22, 02:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Thanks Iride01 I dove deeper into the Di2 setup on the 1030+ and saw that I needed to setup the chain rings/cogs. For some reason I thought the 1030+ would automatically know the information.
If memory serves, I was "cheating" the Di2 system, telling e-tube I was using a 34/50 crank (allowed) and a 11-28 11 spd. cassette (allowed) when in reality I was using an older 11-23 cassette (discontinued and not allowed in e-tube). I then told the 1030 that I was using an 11-23, wanting the gear indicator to be correct as to what was actually on the bike, but subsequently discovered that Di2, when connected via BT, would over-ride what I had told the 1030 I was using. I was dismayed to discover when first using E-Tube, that it only allowed you to configure the software to use whatever cranks/rings as well as cassette that Shimano sold at the time, is how I learned the 11-23 cassette had been discontinued and could not be used in E-Tube. Likewise, you could not tell E-Tube you were using some form of bastard crank like a 30/46, which at the time they did not make.
Old 08-19-22, 10:29 AM
NoWhammies

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was able to program both the Shimano E-tube and the Garmin 130+ to recognize the proper gear ratios. All good