Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Trash Throwing Trash

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Trash Throwing Trash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 08:38 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Pretty sure that couple were going to do the dick move even if they rode single file. Not sure why that roadway is in question. If that scares you, then you need to put away your bike.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-22-22, 08:42 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Ya, watch the video. 2 riders riding side-by-side on a hwy taking the full #2 lane.... while there is a bikepath right next to the hwy. That's asking for trouble.
There are a couple of newer parks, in my area, with stellar MUPs throughout. But it's commonplace for the walkers, joggers and many cyclists to instead opt to clog up the automobile roadways in those parks instead of using the MUPs that parallel all of those roads. As you say, on the wrong road (ie, particularly a "highway" with highway speeds), it can be a death wish.
Old 05-22-22, 08:55 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
There are a couple of newer parks, in my area, with stellar MUPs throughout. But it's commonplace for the walkers, joggers and many cyclists to instead opt to clog up the automobile roadways in those parks instead of using the MUPs that parallel all of those roads. As you say, on the wrong road (ie, particularly a "highway" with highway speeds), it can be a death wish.
So many things are wrong with this attitude. Obviously you're not a cyclist.
Old 05-22-22, 09:00 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by work4bike
So many things are wrong with this attitude. Obviously you're not a cyclist.
Definitely am.

But the meanderers on bikes clogging up the roadway when an exceptionally-wide and lightly-populated MUP that was expressly created for cycling and joggers is right next to the road ... well, there's not much to be said for them.

Cyclists who are hitting the 15mph speed limit of the car roadway, though ... it certainly makes sense for them to be where there's a safer ride. Absolutely, every time.

But walkers, joggers and slow putterers on two wheels simply don't belong on the faster roadway when the purpose-designed MUP is right there for them.

If that's seen by some as an "attitude," so be it. The park's methods of getting around were designed how they were designed, and they handle the purpose well.
Old 05-22-22, 09:01 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
yup aint going to win the battle against a car no matter how much in the right you are...Watching the video albeit not familiar with that stretch of road the riders taking all the lane to the left were nuts. In the day of texting a great way to get munched. I have actually seen dead people who were in the right..the worst was a guy taken out by a semi but even small cars do a number. Curious does anyone carry concealed (or in the open) while riding?
Old 05-22-22, 09:23 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Definitely am.

But the meanderers on bikes clogging up the roadway when an exceptionally-wide and lightly-populated MUP that was expressly created for cycling and joggers is right next to the road ... well, there's not much to be said for them.

Cyclists who are hitting the 15mph speed limit of the car roadway, though ... it certainly makes sense for them to be where there's a safer ride. Absolutely, every time.

But walkers, joggers and slow putterers on two wheels simply don't belong on the faster roadway when the purpose-designed MUP is right there for them.

If that's seen by some as an "attitude," so be it. The park's methods of getting around were designed how they were designed, and they handle the purpose well.
Fact is most places don't have paths for cyclists to go where they need to go. I've been using a bike as my primary form of transportation since the mid-80's and it was legal to ride on the roads then and is just as legal now and I will exercise that right, because if we all ride on MUPs, it will only strengthen the movement to get bikes off the roadways.

I do often ride on roads that parallel a MUP, but those parallels don't last for my entire trip. Furthermore, I'm very much slowed down on those MUPs, because bikes must yield at every freakin' intersection. And then you got the dog walkers and parents out with their kids on bikes. The way I see it, I'm doing more of a service by staying on the roads than getting in the way of the people that really need to use the MUPs.

Any slowing I cause a motorist is miniscule compared to the slowing caused by other motorists. I can't count how many times I've seen other motorists speeding along, then all of a sudden decelerate quickly and make a turn, either with no turn signal or turn on the signal as they are turning. And numerous other examples of motorist pulling out into traffic or suddenly changing lanes, nearly causing accidents.

People that want to harass cyclists, from the protection of a speeding vehicle, are cowards and I will NOT be driven off the roads by cowards.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-22-22, 09:30 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Dox the lowlifes and let nature take its course.
That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. I haven't heard from the detective since Friday morning, but I was able to figure out the driver's name on my own. One of my friend's daughters attends that high school, and she happened to recognize that red Oldsmobile. She knew the driver's first name and that he's on the wrestling team. Well, I looked up the roster, and there is only one kid with that first name. Somehow I don't think blasting the personal details of a teenager will earn any brownie points.
Old 05-22-22, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The newer bike and pedestrian paths around my city cut across numerous driveways and lesser status intersecting roads. So when I ride that route, I am on the main road so that the question of my right-of-way isn't in question. It's not quite apparent to most motorist that a bicycle on the path paralleling the main road and going straight across a driveway or intersecting road might have the right-of-way in some jurisdictions over traffic using those driveways and intersecting roads, or for turning traffic from the main road.
Old 05-22-22, 09:33 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
No need for personal attacks here. I'm just stating it's poor choice to ride 2 abreast on that road with no shoulder even though it's legally correct. I wouldn't even ride single file on that road. You will rethink when a tractor-trailer comes upon you.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-22-22, 09:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Definitely am.

Show me on a map one of these places you are talking about.
Old 05-22-22, 09:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

No need for personal attacks here. I'm just stating it's poor choice to ride 2 abreast on that road with no shoulder even though it's legally correct. I wouldn't even ride single file on that road. You will rethink when a tractor-trailer comes upon you.
Why is it a poor choice to ride 2 abreast?
Old 05-22-22, 09:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by JW Fas
This happened yesterday evening during a group ride. According to another cyclist in a pack well behind mine, the same vehicle tossed an empty 5-quart oil container at them while proceeding down the previous road. My cameras happened to capture round two. The cops were able to locate the vehicle, and its plates expired in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3QfQMuqxac
Can you provide a map for that location? Also, any idea what the authorities are going to do?
Old 05-22-22, 09:47 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Regardless of how you feel about cyclists riding in groups or abreast, blaming the victim is not a defence for throwing objects at them, which is an assault and littering.
Old 05-22-22, 10:04 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Regardless of how you feel about cyclists riding in groups or abreast, blaming the victim is not a defence for throwing objects at them, which is an assault and littering.
absolutely true but being in the right does not lessen the pain of being taken out but some numbskull driver especially if they are uninsured and almost bet they will be under insured...
Old 05-22-22, 10:14 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Can you provide a map for that location? Also, any idea what the authorities are going to do?

The blue circle represents where the first incident occurred. This wasn't captured on camera, but it's reported the vehicle occupants threw a 5-quart oil jug at them. The red circle is where my pack was. If you look at the Google Street View, School Rd is a single lane each way plus a turning lane. As soon as you turn right onto Peculiar Way it splits into that 2x two-lane config, and it stays that way until it passes over I-49.

I'm pretty sure the teens will get cited for littering. I doubt an assault charge would stick.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 05-22-22, 10:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

I'm pretty sure the teens will get cited for littering. I doubt an assault charge would stick.
I think I read enough stories to guess that the only way a driver will get charged is for hit and run. If a pedestrian or cyclist is hit, no driver (except DUI) will get charged if he remains at the scene.

In this case, nobody was hit.
Old 05-22-22, 10:29 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I think I read enough stories to guess that the only way a driver will get charged is for hit and run. If a pedestrian or cyclist is hit, no driver (except DUI) will get charged if he remains at the scene.

In this case, nobody was hit.
In Missouri physical contact is battery. Assault just requires intent or criminal negligence.

https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSecti...ection=565.056
Old 05-22-22, 11:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

The blue circle represents where the first incident occurred. This wasn't captured on camera, but it's reported the vehicle occupants threw a 5-quart oil jug at them. The red circle is where my pack was. If you look at the Google Street View, School Rd is a single lane each way plus a turning lane. As soon as you turn right onto Peculiar Way it splits into that 2x two-lane config, and it stays that way until it passes over I-49.

An early morning ride in light traffic on a 35 MPH road. Kinda hard to find fault with your route the way the one troll did.
Old 05-22-22, 11:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

In Missouri physical contact is battery. Assault just requires intent or criminal negligence.

https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSecti...ection=565.056

No applicable anti-harassment laws? Kansas City has them.
Old 05-22-22, 11:43 AM
Clyde1820

Show me on a map one of these places you are talking about.
No need for maps.

Suffice to say it's a very large park with a series of narrower roadways intended for vehicles, with zero shoulder space, zero lanes marked for pedestrians or cyclists, and a 15-20mph speed limit throughout. And alongside nearly every one of those roads is, within ~20ft or so of that roadway, a very wide MUP that's designed for the amount of cycling and jogging traffic that uses that park. Occasionally, a pedestrian will opt to instead take up the right-most ~3ft of the narrow lane on the main road, and occasionally a slow-moving cyclist or two will choose similarly. Particularly on higher-volume weekends, when many vehicles enter the park area, the presence of slow movers in the roadway causes jams and safety issues.

Same as with "left lane campers" on highways, the difference in overtaking speeds can combine with the lack of courtesy and awareness to equate to dangerous situations. Particularly when somebody "loses it" and attempts to rush the situation or lashes out. Same crap can occur (and often does) at this park, for much the same reason, when traffic increases and the slow movers clog things up. Pretty much the same problem, for the same reason. The one group doesn't get a "pass" simply because they smell sweeter than others. It's the same essential discourtesy and creation of a problem that needn't exist.

Now, if we were speaking of sections of roadway that didn't have a clear, properly-engineered intended alternative right there, then we'd be speaking of something else. Different degree of reasonableness and traffic rules apply, for good reason. And that'd be fine. But I'm not. I'm speaking of a specific example of a well-designed, wider section of pathway that's correctly the spot for all non-vehicular traffic, to ensure flow through the park occurs safely and without issue. But not everyone appreciates distinctions of respect, courtesy or safety, at that park. Some prefer to needlessly and deliberately cause problems, when there's no viable reason to do so.

Other situations are something else.
Old 05-22-22, 12:02 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
An early morning ride in light traffic on a 35 MPH road. Kinda hard to find fault with your route the way the one troll did.
If you are reffering to me as a troll, I consider it a personal attack. I have stated my opinion, which apparently you and others here don't agree with. So be it. You cannot handle others with different opinions....
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-22-22, 12:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
If you are reffering to me as a troll, I consider it a personal attack. I have stated my opinion, which apparently you and others here don't agree with. So be it. You cannot handle others with different opinions....
Describing posters that post opinions different than their own as "trolls" and make similar ad hominum insults to enforce a desired conformity of thought is the cliched MO of more than just one poster here who cannot handle others with different opinions and wish to cleanse BF of any opinion or poster not in accordance with their own rigid beliefs or wishes. A purified echo chamber is the evident goal.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-22-22, 12:19 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

It was the evening. This incident occurred around 715PM.

No applicable anti-harassment laws? Kansas City has them.
Yeah, but Peculiar is in Cass County. No cyclist-friendly laws there.
Old 05-22-22, 01:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

No need for maps.
That's the way it is with most of the motorist centric people I engage.
Old 05-22-22, 01:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Get over it. I'll infer that everyone who avoids simple straight-forward questions is a troll.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-22-22 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For Paul Barnard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.