Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant FCR3500 Hybrid to Gravel-ish Drop Bar Coversion

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-13-22, 03:19 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts

Owned this Giant FCR3500 since it was brand new, 11 years and 25000+km ago. Just did a major rebuild of it this past weekend, including:
  • Tires (Schwalbe Marathon 700x35)
  • Wheels (custom hand built from a seller on Taobao, the Chinese domestic version of AliExpress)
  • Fork - aluminum alloy, changed because I needed a disc brake mount on the front
  • Brakes and discs - cable actuated hydraulics with 160mm rotors.
  • Drivetrain - Sensah SRX Pro 11 speed with 11-36 cassette
  • New bar tape
  • New headset bearings

Did all the work by myself. Took a lot longer than I had expected, but it turned out better than I expected. Rode it for 100km yesterday after completing the work and I am very happy with it. Calling it my Bike of Theseus because at this point the only original parts on this bike are the frame, seat tube, and stem - everything else has been replaced at least once over the life of the bike.

Since this bike was originally a road-oriented hybrid, the geometry actually feels pretty good as a drop bar, and it's quite a bit quicker with the drops than it was with a flat bar (not to mention more comfortable). I've gone with a more road oriented gear range (46t chainring, 11-36 cassette) because the terrain here in Shanghai is very flat and I just don't need a lot of climbing range.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 08-10-22, 08:00 AM
jpbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Nice looking ride! Looks like a great all-purpose touring and road pounding rig.

On my hybrid to gravel converts I've ended up with shorter/higher stems that allow me to ride in the drops on descents comfortably. I put those bikes on singletrack/etc. where I have to both be on the brakes and have my weight back. It may not be the best setup for a road oriented bike but if you end up feeling squirrelly on technical descents you could easily make the change.
Old 08-10-22, 04:23 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Head Shock on a Giant?

Not Leaning and reaching as much has to be more comfortable.