Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 01:39 AM
thejazz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The voodoo
Old 06-27-22, 02:53 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I don't know what your options may be, but if a loved one had 500 pounds and asked for which bike advise, in my area/region, I'd recommend that I help them find a good used bike. I'm confident you could do better than your choices, but I don't know your market and it does take know-how to identify and select a good used bike. I'd seek out a local resource. Good luck to you, take your time shopping.
Old 06-29-22, 06:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Waseem1985
Can I please also get your views on the sirrus X 4.0 which has a hardtail 'future shock' fork. Is this likely to have value as should I keep away as with other suspensions.
Good tires will work better than any suspension for your type of riding. Do you have any bike shops nearby? If so, go test ride everything that looks interesting. Bikes are like shoes; you really want to try them on first, to make sure they fit.

Things you'll likely want to look for:
  • No suspension anything (it adds weight, cost, and complexity)
  • Handlebars level with or slightly higher than the saddle
  • Rim brakes (cheaper, easier to maintain, and once set up properly will stop the bike)
  • It should ideally weigh less than 30 lbs/13kg
  • Room for wide tires and fenders (at least 40mm, preferably more)
  • A bike shop that you like; friendly staff who listen to what you want and try to find a bike to suit you, rather than trying to sell you something more expensive. These are the people you will be going to for warranty service, so it's best if you like them.
I hope this helps you find a good bike. Remember, there is no perfect bike; there are any number of bikes that will work for you, so don't stress about trying to find "the right one".