Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

War between frugality and bike lust

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 08:59 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been eyeing a Salsa Vaya II at my LBS for a while.

I already have a road bike for going fast and a hybrid with trailer for commuting. So I don't really NEED another bike. But the Vaya would be such a nicer commuter bike than I have already and obviously well suited to touring. I'd be putting most of my bike miles on my best bike, instead of on my worst bike. And the Vaya would be an upgrade in quality from either.

Finally had a chance to ride the Vaya tonight and it rode like a dream.

Part of the reason I'm into bikes is trying to live a simple, frugal, less-waste lifestyle. So this is somewhat of a conflict with wanting a new bike just because... because! new! bike!

I do have a "new bike fund" that gets a contribution from every paycheck. Staying on plan with this will get me the Vaya sometime next Spring.
I've got the money to go buy it tomorrow - but it's money that's been earmarked for other purposes and this would be Violating the Plan.
Or I really could just do without, and buy this thing in 4 years off of craigslist.
Old 08-29-14, 12:35 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think you're confusing passion (which this is) for greed/excess. If you were buying a 3rd car just because, yea, that would be different.

I am looking into getting a second bike for fitness alone, letting my uptown be my utility bike & not put extra miles on its various parts that arent set up for speed or weight savings (its 36 lbs). I am also looking t get a really simple 3 speed (SE tripel to be exact) for quick trips into town when a backpack can do.

- Andy
Old 08-29-14, 04:52 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whether your purchase violates other goals you have such as a simple lifestyle is something only you can decide. Personally I have the same goal and would only enjoy a new bicycle in the window but would not have to have it as mine. I absolutely love my surly lhdt - partly because it meets all of my cycling needs. I don't identify with having different bicycles for different types of riding.

But, whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-29-14, 05:12 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I too subscribe to the best bike for the commuter bike theory, since between 65% and 75% of my annual miles/rides/hours are commuting. (Varies a bit by year.)

I've made major bike purchases at the end of the season too, or the beginning of the winter slush season, if you view it that way. People (including at the LBS) thought I was nuts buying a $1700 bike for commuting just before winter. The bike didn't care that it got ridden through the winter right away, I got to enjoy it right away, and near as I can tell, no kittens were harmed.

I also live simply and frugally. I follow a budget and I save for purchases rather than using credit.

I see no harm in advancing the purchase by six months, provided you pay back the budget that advanced the money. The trick is going to be accessorizing it while paying that money back. No bike for any commuter rolls off the showroom floor without needing to be accessorized to an extent.
Old 08-29-14, 06:50 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
An application of n+1 solves this problem.
Old 08-29-14, 06:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sweet bike and it may or may not show up on CL one of these days. If you wait until early next year, you should be able to buy this bike at a discount and at that point you will have saved up some more money for this purchase.
Old 08-29-14, 07:36 AM
duckbill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I owned a car, which I do not, money would have to be spent on Insurance. It is necessary to have a working commuter bicycle so for insurance I have a second commuter bike. My road race bicycles could be used in a pinch but for hauling my work clothes, lunch and picking up groceries, a stronger bike is required. Two weeks ago a Shimano part failed on my number 1 bike that ended up on back order for three weeks. The transition to my number 2 commuter bike was seamless, air in the tires, lube the chain and ride. Your question should be not whether you should buy another bike but what are you going to do if your first bike falters.
Old 08-29-14, 07:38 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Only when your stable is missing a Commuting bike for Wednesdays do you have a problem with excess.

If you and your family (emphasis on the significant other) can afford for you to purchase another bike to meet a specific need, I say, go for it.
Old 08-29-14, 08:04 AM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bikes bring great joy.
Old 08-29-14, 08:11 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
. . . I think you're confusing passion (which this is) for greed/excess. . .
↑↑↑ This. If you can afford it financially, why not upgrade? Having higher quality equipment that rides better doesn't mean you're compromising a simpler lifestyle. I say Go for it!
Old 08-29-14, 08:37 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Vaya owner, I can tell you that it is an excellent commuter, touring bike and all around road bike. Not to mention it has a nice endurance style geometry that you can ride all day. It will never be confused as a carbon race bike, but it is more than capable of holding its own on road rides. I have a spare set of wheels. One set has tires for road riding and the other set are 37c All Terrain tires. I can go from a slick tire road bike to a touring/commuter bike with fenders, racks, panniers and chunky commuter tires in 20/25 minutes.

I am not sure your needs for the road bike, but maybe the Vaya becomes your "one" bike for everything and your current commuter becomes your backup for emergencies?
Old 08-29-14, 09:05 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I have 9 bikes, what's the issue? What is cost of a gallon of gas? Many deaths in the USA are caused by sitting on the couch syndrome. I have 2 good weather commuting bikes, 2 winter commuting bikes and the touring bike as a backup. Plus 3 mountain bikes and a tandem. Just the right amount. Just pedal and enjoy.
Old 08-29-14, 09:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I commute mostly for fun. So as I see it, a Vaya would be much more fun for commuting, while still being highly practical. Perhaps if you end up feeling "guilty" about having too many bikes, you could sell off the hybrid.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-14, 11:17 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Life is too short... just buy it.

.... you do realize that a biking forum is the wrong place to get advice about not buying another bike... heh heh heh...

=======================================

Seriously... so long as you can stick to a budget and "pay it back" as previously suggested... there are real benefits to more biking (physical, emotional, etc.). And unless you're eating a lot of fibre... hey, not much in the way of global warming contributions either!

Analogy: When I got into photography, I wanted to buy an expensive lens. I could afford it - no question - but I didn't know if I should. My colleague immediately said yes, and I asked why. She had an aunt who had a beautiful library with many, collected books. All of her friends asked when she would read all these books, and she replied when she retired. The year of her retirement, she suddenly started to lose her eyesight.

I bought the lens. That was 7 years ago, and it is my favourite one. I have used it extensively, and produced incredible images with it. Worth every penny and then some.

So, the moral of the story: it's not carte blanche to do absolutely anything you want, but if the benefits honestly outweigh the costs, what then are you waiting for?
Old 08-29-14, 11:46 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
No! Save the environment! Think of all the rubber trees you're killing by having two more tubes and tires and and....

Sorry, just had to be a voice of dissension for a moment. You do realize you are asking a bunch of bike enthusiasts if you should buy a bike, right? You are looking for justification of your justification. You got it!

Buy the bike. If after riding it for a couple of weeks you can no longer stand the guilt, I'll take it off your hands. Cause I'm nice like that.
Old 08-29-14, 12:15 PM
RogueRadio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life is WAY too short to worry about these things. If this bike fires a passion in you, and you can SAFELY purchase it, then do it. Live, smile, ride. I'm not saying use rent money to buy a bike, nor am I saying that you should buy each one you see. Im just saying that if you love it that much, there is nothing wrong with buying and enjoying the hell out of it
Old 08-29-14, 12:31 PM
freeloader

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter how many cars you have, you can only drive 1 at any point of time
No matter how many shoes you have, you can only wear 1 at any point of time
No matter how many houses you have, you can only live in 1 at any point of time
No matter how many bike you have, ...

I have yet to know anyone who can truly satisfy greed

A wise man once said to me: "The only thing you can gain in life is Wisdom"
Old 08-29-14, 12:55 PM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=freeloader;17081936]No matter how many cars you have, you can only drive 1 at any point of time

A wise man once said to me: "The only thing you can gain in life is Wisdom"[/QUOTE]

The only guarantee in life is death.
So enjoy life while you can.
Old 08-29-14, 01:05 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duckbill
Your question should be not whether you should buy another bike but what are you going to do if your first bike falters.
Yep. I only have one bike and when I have downtime it SUCKS
Old 08-29-14, 01:09 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeloader
No matter how many cars you have, you can only drive 1 at any point of time

A wise man once said to me: "The only thing you can gain in life is Wisdom"
I wear two shoes at a time. I'm just crazy like that.
Old 08-29-14, 01:45 PM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Yep. I only have one bike and when I have downtime it SUCKS
In life there is always the possibility of an accident, that is why I have more than one pair of underpants.
If the car fails, rentals are available. There are no bike rentals in my town.

The Boy Scout motto, " Be prepared".
Old 08-29-14, 01:50 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your question should be not whether you should buy another bike but what are you going to do if your first bike falters.
Some of use take a chance instead of incur the expense of another bicycle. Just like many people have only one car. I think bicycles are less likely to have a catastrophic failure than a car too.
Old 08-29-14, 01:52 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In life there is always the possibility of an accident, that is why I have more than one pair of underpants.
If the car fails, rentals are available. There are no bike rentals in my town.

The Boy Scout motto, " Be prepared".
Yes, but the problem is unlikely. And when it happens you could rent a car instead of a bicycle. Most of the LCF crowd can drive a car nonetheless. Me, I can take mass transit as can many.
Old 08-29-14, 02:52 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I see no harm in advancing the purchase by six months, provided you pay back the budget that advanced the money. The trick is going to be accessorizing it while paying that money back. No bike for any commuter rolls off the showroom floor without needing to be accessorized to an extent.
tsl always has sensible, well thought out advice. This seems like it will serve the dual purpose of letting you get the bike you want now, and letting you maintain the financial lifestyle you prefer. You aren't violating the plan, you're revising the plan.
Old 08-29-14, 03:44 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have to wonder if the spending ever stops or slows down. I am new to commuting. I bought a Brompton folding bike last month to commute to the office. I got a folder so that I wouldn't have to worry about locking it up in front of the building or leaving the bike out in the rain. I really like riding the Brompton even if it looks ridiculous. I added a front bag, Brooks saddle, and dynamo hub/lights to it. Then my building installed bike lockers in the parking garage and I reserved one (It is only $30 a quarter and there was one left). That got me thinking that it would be nice to have a full size bike that I could also use as a backup commuter. I bought a used Jamis Nova Sport CX bike from Craigslist last weekend and now I have to equip that for commuting. I also have an old Raleigh from the 70's that I think I want to rebuild. I would need tools for that... Does it eventually taper off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.