Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tribar on MTB?!

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tribar on MTB?!

Old 02-17-21, 12:57 PM
Simon Harris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tribar on MTB?!

Now this may seem ridiculous but hear me out I've entered into a single stage MTB race called the Munga, it entails covering 1000km+ across South Africa in summer. I'm looking for aerobars to help with position and general comfort.. I currently have the Bontrager Kovee pro carbon 35 handlebar and because of its unique shape its almost impossible to find the right aerobat that will fit the bar. Can anyone help by recommending something that will work? would be super grateful for any help!
Old 02-17-21, 05:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Jones H-bar - they have carbon and titanium options as well ——. Its the only bar id want for a ride like that
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-18-21, 04:43 AM
Simon Harris

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Jones H-bar - they have carbon and titanium options as well ——. Its the only bar id want for a ride like that
Thanks MDC707, will definitely look into this!
Old 02-18-21, 07:26 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Chat with someone at Trek to ask whether any clip-on aero bar would work with that bar's "unique shape" (is the cross-section not round?). If not, given the length of the ride you propose to undertake, you might want to consider installing another bar that will allow use of a clip-on bar.

In any event, be sure that your long-distance setup includes padded forearm/elbow pads, which are invaluable for supporting your upper body weight. I'm primarily a road bike rider, but for decades, I've done all my cold weather/rainy weather training on an old Cannondale mountain bike with fenders and clip-on aero bars. It's so comfortable, I sometimes use that bike instead of one of the road bikes even in good weather.
Old 02-18-21, 08:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I’m no expert on mtb geometry, but I think a lot depends on exactly what bike you are going to ride and the type of terrain. Older mtb’s placed the rider with more weight over the front wheel. Over time that weight distribution has moved back.

I would think you would need to get the bike setup correctly with flat bars and see where your tuck ends up. My other concern is the amount of control you would have with narrow tribars on a slack head angle mtn bike.

John
Old 02-18-21, 09:14 AM
TruckerBrad

Bikes: 2018 Surly Straggler 2020 Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out some options that BarYak has. Not traditional aero bars, but they are designed to be used with flat bars. And they also provide mounting options for electronics.
Likes For TruckerBrad:
Old 02-18-21, 09:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m no expert on mtb geometry, but I think a lot depends on exactly what bike you are going to ride and the type of terrain. Older mtb’s placed the rider with more weight over the front wheel. Over time that weight distribution has moved back.

I would think you would need to get the bike setup correctly with flat bars and see where your tuck ends up. My other concern is the amount of control you would have with narrow tribars on a slack head angle mtn bike.

John
Good point. However, when I ride my clip-on-bar-equipped mountain bike on gravel or single-track trails, I have my hands on the main bar's grips exclusively. The aero bars are used only for smooth trails and pavement, and not constantly even then. In any event, at speeds above 7 miles per hour or so, you steer by leaning, not by turning the bars.
Old 02-18-21, 09:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I think the problem is that the bar diameter is 35mm while most modern mtb bars are 31.8mm. It is round.

I can't find an aero bar that fits but the idea of aeros on mtbs isn't that unusual.

Old 02-18-21, 09:49 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by TruckerBrad
Check out some options that BarYak has. Not traditional aero bars, but they are designed to be used with flat bars. And they also provide mounting options for electronics.
That's an interesting site. Thanks
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-18-21, 06:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm guessing the aero bars won't go because of the long taper down from the 35mm clamp area which is very wide on this bar, probably for lights. If you swapped for a bar with a wide 31.8 clamp diameter like a Salsa Rustler and a stem to match you'd be able to mount the aero bars no problem

Kovee Pro

Kovee XXX
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-18-21 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-19-21, 02:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I would look at the Koga Denham Bar that might be the better choice for a long distance event like that. Jones bars have way too much sweep for comfort at least for me. The Denhams are perfect.
Old 02-19-21, 04:59 PM
Happy Feet

Or just get a 31.8mm stem and use any flat bar that will also fit any clip on aerobar. The only problem really is the oversized diameter of the current one.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-22-21, 08:19 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Or just get a 31.8mm stem and use any flat bar that will also fit any clip on aerobar. The only problem really is the oversized diameter of the current one.
This! the only thing stopping you from putting any aero bar on your bike is the 35mm handlebar/stem. replacing those should be simple and relatively cheap. you can put your old handlebar/stem back on the bike later for regular trail riding or sell them to recoup some of the cost of the new parts.

that race sounds awesome!
Old 02-28-21, 11:19 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would look at the Koga Denham Bar that might be the better choice for a long distance event like that. Jones bars have way too much sweep for comfort at least for me. The Denhams are perfect.
the Denhams are definitely nice. Hard to source, but great all-rounders.

I’ve gone back to Jones, as they just feel better to me in technical terrain (full rigid 29+).

I have a new, unmounted Denham (I ordered 2 ) that I’d sell. Just putting it out there, since the main source is in Holland and my order took over 3 months to arrive. The Denham offers an ideal “on the hoods” postion (on the integrated extensions) that is hard to beat for long, straight cranking.

The Jones option offers their “Narwhal”, which IMO would be the ultimate true aero setup un a MTB.

Denham on my bike from different angles.

Here’s the Jones H bar / Narwhal combo

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-28-21 at 11:23 AM.
Likes For canyoneagle:
Old 02-28-21, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
the Denhams are definitely nice. Hard to source, but great all-rounders.

I’ve gone back to Jones, as they just feel better to me in technical terrain (full rigid 29+).

I have a new, unmounted Denham (I ordered 2 ) that I’d sell. Just putting it out there, since the main source is in Holland and my order took over 3 months to arrive. The Denham offers an ideal “on the hoods” postion (on the integrated extensions) that is hard to beat for long, straight cranking.

The Jones option offers their “Narwhal”, which IMO would be the ultimate true aero setup un a MTB.

Denham on my bike from different angles.
Hard to get is an understatement. You would think they want to make money but maybe that is the plan drive up the interest 10000% and then after years finally come to the U.S. and sell their stuff. I am PMing after I write this as I noticed you have a Bar that I want bad!
Old 03-01-21, 12:29 AM
Happy Feet

I don't get it. Basically, swept flatbars with bar ends mounted inboard. How much you paying for those?
Old 03-01-21, 10:21 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I don't get it. Basically, swept flatbars with bar ends mounted inboard. How much you paying for those?
That’s the basic idea. One could theoretically fabricate something similar with a swept bar and barends slid/mounted at the appropriate spot.
I’ve attempted to emulate the same kind of setup, but found it difficult to get the sweep and bend mix that works. Too many tradeoffs.

I can’t recall the exact cost, but they’re in the same ballpark (maybe a little more) as other alt bars, or nice swept bar + ends. Not enough difference to sweat, unless on a tight budget.

Here’s the writeup comparing his one-off version (Denham) to other bars in the genre (so called alt-bars).
https://www.cyclingabout.com/compari...with-alt-bars/

Last edited by canyoneagle; 03-01-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 10:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What I can't figure out, with bars like those, is what the frame reach and stem are supposed to be to go with them. You see people putting them on both flat and drop bar frames and seemingly happy. I can't see what to do without making the "hoods" too far or the flats too close. In fact the same deal with bar ends. I don't like drop bars very much but they don't do that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty: