Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse offering 8 80th anniversary bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rene Herse offering 8 80th anniversary bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 10:49 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
It's a threaded headset, but the steerer has a smaller-diameter, non-threaded 7/8" extension going up above. This is usually a short piece of steel tube, brazed in. The machined aluminum stem clamps to this. That's the way it is on my old tandem, and probably the way it works here, judging by the photos. It really looks like it's done the same way as the original. I don't want you to think I'm defending the concept, but the stem setup is pretty true to the original. Only difference is, originals had one bolt clamping the stem on the steerer, whereas his has two. But the originals sometimes broke at that bolt (a scary failure to have). I agree it's a little janky, but again it's pretty lightweight simply because it ditches a lot of parts. Jan probably also did it to incorporate his headlight switch. Which southpawboston tells me is also pretty janky, and not waterproof!
You are describing a [threaded to threadless] stem conversion, like I was. Threaded HS, then a straight piece of metal that clamps into it (and extends above the HS), then the stem element clamps to that.

Looks real familiar. This Nitto unit is for threadless 1" stems, and there is one for 1 1/8" stems as well (a number of companies make these). Expanding cone (Cinelli et al) or wedge, doesn't matter. Anyway, I'm done talking about this, but I just wanted to clarify that the common terms I was using was what you were also trying to say, just with different vocabulary.
Old 08-13-21, 10:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Oh yea, for sure. Jan and BQ and Herse resurrections are a net positive to the cycling community, in spite of all the pomp and prideful manner. Alls I'm sayin is, it coulda been done more subtly.

I do wonder what Jan means when he says "we ask riders what they plan to do with the bikes and why they want one, and allocate the bikes based on that". How serious is this? Is this going to be a college admissions essay type thing? As an academic, I am intrigued.

And for what it is, he's right, the price is a steal.
There's a good discussion on the iBob group, with a reply from Jan about some of the questions (like the SRAM vs Nivex options.) I think the main objective is to ensure that the bikes will be ridden and not just immediately hung up in the trophy room. Rene Herse and other builders would also chat with a prospective client first to see if it would work out, so I think maybe the process is just more visible and open to scrutiny today.

I agree about the self-promotional aspect... when you have a company, a magazine, and a blog that are all sort of connected, word of a new product or feature can get tedious in a hurry ("Noise-cancelling" tires? Hmm, okay...)

Jan keeps denying this possibility, but I think it would be kinda cool if this turned into a regular side-line for RH. They could turn out a couple bikes a year, as much in the spirit of RH as possible but obviously not originals.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-13-21, 10:58 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
You are describing a [threaded to threadless] stem conversion, like I was. Threaded HS, then a straight piece of metal that clamps into it (and extends above the HS), then the stem element clamps to that.
Looks real familiar. This Nitto unit is for threadless 1" stems, and there is one for 1 1/8" stems as well (a number of companies make these). Expanding cone (Cinelli et al) or wedge, doesn't matter. Anyway, I'm done talking about this, but I just wanted to clarify that the common terms I was using was what you were also trying to say, just with different vocabulary.
Right, I got ya. Alls I'm saying is there's no expander, it's brazed in so it's a few g lighter than a traditional threaded-threadless conversion. It's not like the later Herse quill stem you posted above, because it clamps to a brazed-in piece, hence the lighter weight. But yeah sure, splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I agree about the self-promotional aspect... when you have a company, a magazine, and a blog that are all sort of connected, word of a new product or feature can get tedious in a hurry ("Noise-cancelling" tires? Hmm, okay...)
Heh, yeah, I was thinking about his patent compared to Rivendell's old "speedblend" tires patent. And based on his latest post, he's probably reading this thread.
Old 08-13-21, 11:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wow, Mr. Heine claps back in sentence #2 of his blog post: "Apart from the inevitable 'I didn’t know top-of-the-line bikes cost THAT much!' from retrogrouches who still remember the days when the dollar was strong and imported bikes were available for peanuts, there’s a lot of excitement."

Cat likes to scratch.
Pot calling the kettle black.

A $13k bike with inferior DT shifters and inferior brakes could only be loved by a retrogrouch. I understand the applications are due August 15 and interviews commence August 25. I heard the qualification exam is open book. Thank God.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-13-21, 11:11 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
And only if they decide you rate one. Sheesh

DD
This was the part that rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, I guess it's irrelevant because a $14k bike is the opposite of egalitarian by its very nature, but it just ratcheted up the pretentiousness and gatekeeping to the next level.
Old 08-13-21, 11:15 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Thinking of all the beautiful restored or original Cinellis, Colnagos and DeRosas I've seen offered here on the For Sale sub-forum, i could get quite a collection for the purchase price of just this one bike.

Old 08-13-21, 11:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Thinking of all the beautiful restored or original Cinellis, Colnagos and DeRosas I've seen offered here on the For Sale sub-forum, i could get quite a collection for the purchase price of just this one bike.
Or a real Rene Herse.
Old 08-13-21, 12:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Or a real Rene Herse.
Ouch. I bet a legit offer to buy of a real period RH at the current asking would get one or two replies to sell.

The market for these might be a subset of the fellow who collected the Gucci CF road bike ($5k, with Veloce) that was on offer on the Orange County craigslist and the 70's repainted Cinelli with a 50th anniv group with a torn up Super Record headset for $11,250 currently, price has come down a bit.
Old 08-13-21, 12:15 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Or a real Rene Herse.
True facts!! Can vouch.
My French friends all think I'm crazy.
Old 08-13-21, 12:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Yeah, that discussion on the iBOB group w/ Jan weighing in is quite entertaining. What I find particularly odd and consistent is that Jan is pitching his favorite bike to ride under the assumption that 8 or however many others would share those proclivities. That's essentially why I stopped subscribing to BQ: I wasn't interested in reading how test bikes compared to what Jan liked best or to Jan's Singer (which was the constant comparison for a long time). Jan is likely 100 times stronger ride than I am, hopefully doesn't have the pinched nerve in his neck that I've been living with for over forty years, and mostly rides on roads over 3000 miles from where I live, so I really couldn't relate. Yes, beautiful bikes and wonderful craftsmanship, but as many others have noted, there are a host of small builders around the world who can give you that for less money.

This morning, I went for a very pleasurable ride on my custom Ti Waltly, likely brazed by Chinese robots. Yeah, it's not a looker, but I have old bikes for that purpose, one that seems to come into play for me less and less often these days.
Old 08-13-21, 01:14 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
. . . I do wonder what Jan means when he says "we ask riders what they plan to do with the bikes and why they want one, and allocate the bikes based on that". How serious is this? Is this going to be a college admissions essay type thing? As an academic, I am intrigued.
My guess is that it is a way not to pay scrupulous attention to who is in what position in the queue - I can see how that could become a nuisance. Of course, if there are no teeming hordes, meaning 80 or fewer customers, all will get one. It is perhaps also a way to avoid the "blues lawyer" phenomenon mentioned above, if they are so inclined. And if it adds a certain mystique/.cache that helps drive sales, so much the better. Hey, Jan's gotta pay the bills, too. And I bet it's a fantastic bike.

But at $14k, it's not going to be my fantastic bike. I hope all get sold to people who will ride the heck out of them and love them to pieces. The fact that I will not be one of them does not and should not diminish the pleasure of one of those folks. I wish for them the same I wish for all of us: tailwinds, and keep the rubber side down.
Old 08-13-21, 01:57 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Does the bike world have "blues lawyers"?

guitar owners
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-13-21, 02:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Does the bike world have "blues lawyers"?

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
guitar owners
I've heard the term "dentist bike" plenty of times.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-13-21, 04:55 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
guitar owners
There's gotta be quite a bit of crossover. Conspicuous consumerism.
Old 08-13-21, 04:56 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I've heard the term "dentist bike" plenty of times.
Ahhh, yes. Looks like there are.
Old 08-13-21, 05:04 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
If I possessed one of these, I'd want to use it for (among others) solo rides. If I then wanted to make a quick stop at a loo or convenience store, I'd want to lock it to an immovable object. What kind of lock would I use, how would I carry it, and how much would it add to the total weight?

I imagine that news of this bike/frame is intended to provide additional cachet for the brand, in order to sell more tyres. But Panaracer Gravelkings have been good enough for me.

Much of the Quarterly is about Herse tyres, Berthoud saddles, and other expensive goodies that Compass sells (and I've never bought); but it's a pleasant read all the same.
Likes For microcord:
Old 08-13-21, 05:31 PM
repechage

I thought about the beauty contest to earn a position to buy one of these eight.

I think best would be a lottery, submit your complete bike deposit, ( very close to excluding tire kickers), Ms Heine draws the winners, return the deposits to the also-rans.

This Fulbright application is just silly.

not implying the bikes are not worth the price.
just the drama to get rewarded to win the right to purchase is just askew.

but maybe Jan has been invited loved in a real estate transaction recently where he received “we are more worthy buyers letters” where they cannot come up with the scratch but hope they can prevail otherwise.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-13-21, 06:39 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
But it hardly sounds like a beauty contest, Fulbright application, or whatever. Indeed, if one has sufficiently deep pockets to buy one of these, the description of the application process sounds very reasonable. It seems that you answer the questions that a conscientious frame builder might ask you, no more.
Old 08-13-21, 09:03 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

There's gotta be quite a bit of crossover. Conspicuous consumerism.
all I know is music stores would not stay in business for musicians alone. We don't buy much and we can't afford to overpay.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-13-21, 09:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by microcord
If I possessed one of these, I'd want to use it for (among others) solo rides. If I then wanted to make a quick stop at a loo or convenience store, I'd want to lock it to an immovable object. What kind of lock would I use, how would I carry it, and how much would it add to the total weight?

I imagine that news of this bike/frame is intended to provide additional cachet for the brand, in order to sell more tyres. But Panaracer Gravelkings have been good enough for me.

Much of the Quarterly is about Herse tyres, Berthoud saddles, and other expensive goodies that Compass sells (and I've never bought); but it's a pleasant read all the same.
I love the protected gravel kings but the originals were incredibly flat prone.
Old 08-13-21, 10:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
This thread needs pics.

I like simplicitty (and this pic is handy)
Never checked the price. Or the availability.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-13-21 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-14-21, 04:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Remind me again why it's OK for Jan to buy and market a dormant trademark but not the BikesDirect guy. At least the latter used to participate actively on this forum until he decided that the BS had gotten too deep to wade through.

I sold plenty of Motobecanes back in the 1970s, and they were great bikes, but the only ones I ever bought were from BikesDirect. They're also great bikes.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-14-21, 07:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
This new version Rene Herse shows how most top quality bicycles are really undervalued. It's true it is a lot of money compared to competitors but not so expensive some people can't still afford it. It takes a lot of skill and work for Mark to recreate the Herse style of lugs from scratch (starting with plain tubing). I'm sure I could do it too but it would take me 2 or 3 days to get it right. Of course with practice the time can come down. Just think what your bill would be if you hired a licensed plumber to take that amount of time make those lugs.

Bicycle forums often have wrist watch subject themes. Top mechanical watches can cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. And they might not be more accurate (and likely less accurate) than a Timex quartz watch bought at Walmart. And enthusiasts have to get in line and wait for the latest models. So the price doesn't seem unreasonable to me because are only a limited number of builders in the US that can duplicate such a bicycle.
Old 08-14-21, 08:23 AM
repechage

But it hardly sounds like a beauty contest, Fulbright application, or whatever. Indeed, if one has sufficiently deep pockets to buy one of these, the description of the application process sounds very reasonable. It seems that you answer the questions that a conscientious frame builder might ask you, no more.
the process from the site is, $100 deposit, basic stuff on preferred size, which might be reviewed, then statement of why one should be chosen. At some point the selected interested individuals will be selected, process a bit open. If only eight pay, it’s a strict business decision. If there are more, some sort of culling. It was referenced as similar as how Herse way back decided on sponsored riders, a stretch today as at that time the RH business was actively attempting to keep sales volume going.
If selected you send the big down payment, refundable if the builder cannot produce.

so, my Fulbright analogy works if there are 9 or more interested. I am not questioning the price , the bikes will most likely be good. The Reproduction Nivex rear mech is a bit of an open question I think, last I looked only a service spring was listed as an offering.
perhaps the customers will be like the early Miura buyers, friendly customers to tolerate follow on development.
Old 08-14-21, 08:31 AM
repechage

a reference, the link you embedded shows the product description and marketing notes.
one has to navigate to the order page for the actual process. Inferred and mentioned here and there is Jan’s view on position, in a rephrase I read it as he bases the handlebar mount point should be reasonably high, near level with the saddle and stand over ability is not that important as at a stop only one foot is down.

reminds me of my first road bike, 49 years later I still ride a bike 3 cm smaller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.