Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Show your home paint booth

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Show your home paint booth

Old 10-06-21, 07:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
What I wonder is how the clear coat will stay on the powder. I've had 2 different PCers tell me they won't clear coat over PC due to delamination/peeling issues. I was not happy to hear this as I had been hoping to apply decals and cleat coat over a PCed frame a while back. Andy
Old 10-07-21, 12:46 AM
NextDIYikeproj
DIY:er

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
As part of another project ( rehab on a '71 F-250 pickup) I have been hanging out at the auto paint store. We are doing the rehab in phases and the first phase is getting the rat carcasses (3) out of the cab and getting rid of the urine smell and rust. Luckily very little metal has needed replacement. My 14yo son rebuilt the carb and did a basic tune up. We cleaned out the cab, sanded and the local Wesco mixed up some paint and pointed me to some 2k clear in aerosol cans. I had a little left over and it doesn't last more than a day or two after mixing. I masked off a stem I had just had powder coated. I painted the lug with the cab color and then cleared with the 2k clear. I'm fairly impressed with the outcome. It actually looks pretty good despite my lack of painting skill and relatively cavalier approach to test! My masking skills definitely need developing.

Untitled by Duane Draper, on Flickr

I'm inching closer to the next rabbit hole.

looks great. The 2k clear in can is very good. I have no experience with spray guns and mixing colors/clear cot my self, but the results with the 2k in can is great.
Likes For NextDIYikeproj:
Old 10-07-21, 01:41 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
I have considered it before as well and tried it with sample decals from Velocal. That bike was done with a simple clear, not 2K and hasn't been ridden much since, so it's probably not a good barometer. I will say that the clear and decals are holding up fine after a few years - no delamination or cracking/pealing etc..

In this latest case, I was really testing my masking skills (*cough* proving my lack of masking skills *cough*) and what the clear looks like and how durable it will be. Since I had it, I figured I would use it sort of thing. I will keep an eye out for delamination.

Doing a bit of research on a paint/finishing forum, it seems the 2k clear doesn't mechanically bond with the powder coat and some are saying this leads to delamination issues. As you would expect, others say it should work just fine. Perhaps scuffing with sandpaper would provide some tooth.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 10-07-21, 05:36 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,906 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What I wonder is how the clear coat will stay on the powder. I've had 2 different PCers tell me they won't clear coat over PC due to delamination/peeling issues. I was not happy to hear this as I had been hoping to apply decals and cleat coat over a PCed frame a while back. Andy
Many years ago I put decals and urethane clear over powdercoat without any issues. They have held up just fine. This was for MTB frames John Cherry made. Of course the powdercoat had to be wet sanded 1st. This is no different than putting clear over old hardened Imron. The clear won't stick properly unless it is put over a sanded base. I use 600 grit. It has to be rough enough so the clear can grab but smooth enough so you can't see sanding scratches.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 10-07-21, 07:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Doug- That makes sense. One PCer I have talked with would most likely not do the sanding prep work, the other is more detail oriented but their cost also likely precludes any added effort. Maybe the next frame that I don't care about having a great paint job will be the experiment. Andy
Old 10-08-21, 07:29 AM
elboomero

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elboomero
did it in the attic, while I did wear a propper mask. However after the 2k clearcoat the skin did feel like a sun burn for 1 day. Next time I would protect the skin and eyes better.

Next time I need more coverage. Paint dust everywhere... but I love my result on the frame
My Stand, a parasol base and a bamboo stick
Likes For elboomero:
Old 10-08-21, 09:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,665 Times in 2,497 Posts
Is that bike a Basso or a Viner?
Old 10-08-21, 12:27 PM
elboomero

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Is that bike a Basso or a Viner?
it is a mid 90th Basso Viper. The steel frame kit is still build and sold by Basso ( with some facelifting). The logos and text are decals with the correct font based on the original paint job.