Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chain Skip Problem

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chain Skip Problem

Old 09-12-22, 06:40 PM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Chain Skip Problem

I am a newbie to the single speed world. I mostly ride and repair old school road bikes so am familiar with derailleurs, etc. I recently built up an old 40s road frame with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, a brand new SA cog, a chain tensioner, and a new 1/2 x 1/8 single speed chain. I don't have the correct crankset for this yet so I temporarily used a 53T chainring I had handy.

I know this isn't single speed but its a single cog and I figure one of you may know what I'm doing wrong The drivetrain runs smoothly on the stand. But when I took it for a test ride, the chain skips on the rear cog. I've attached some photos. My best guess is the combination of too large a chainring (being higher than the cog) together with the chain tensioner is allowing the chain to climb up the teeth on top of the cog such that at the back of the cog the chain ends up sitting on top of the teeth until it skips down into place. Am I on the right track or is there something else obvious I'm missing here? The chainline looks good and the chain is centered on the cog, i.e. side of links not catching on cog.

Not knowing any better, I basically replicated what I know from my multi-speed world - big ring, small cog and chain tensioner in place of derailleur and now I'm puzzled why this doesn't work.

Thanks
Old 09-12-22, 09:24 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Try removing some links from the chain, such that the tensioner pully moves forward and the cog catches the chain at a lower point.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-12-22, 10:33 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
it looks like your tensioner is too slack. I'd remove some links from the chain and run the tensioner more horizontal at maybe 45 degrees so it catches the chain once it's fully engaged to the cog.
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 09-13-22, 07:45 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks both for quick reply