Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New bike advice - Giant Escape, Sirrus 3.0 etc

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-08-22, 06:15 AM
Entrigo

Bikes: Merida Speeder 400 (on its way)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,

New kid on the block looking for some advice.

Recently had my (new) bike stolen and on the lookout for another one. I am very much a utilitarian rider who is keen to get a bit more seriously into cycling, mainly for fitness but also for fun. Stolen bike was a Giant Roam 0 - bought with the idea that having the option to go off road might make cycling more fun. In the three months I had it, not gone really offroad once, and also realised I quite like a nippier bike. So away with the front suspension and back to "standard" hybrids.

So, my key needs&wants:
  1. Has to be fairly light and quick
  2. Needs to be able to go on gravel/ canal paths etc with ease, out of the box - not a tinkerer so won't be making any mods apart from maybe tires and other cosmetic small changes.
  3. Decent level of specs. Although I am but a philistine, the Roam 0 kinda spoiled me, for the short time I had it. Not sure I can go back to basic/entry level components.
  4. Needs to be a fun ride but also comfortable (I would be riding a fair bit on canal paths I guess - I live in London, and not a massive fun of urban cycling) - as said, I need all the help I can get to get off my arse - I do a lot of tennis, because is fun, but I still don't see cycling as pure fun. Previously had a Fuji Absolute 1.0 which was great, but as it was too big, so a touch uncomfortable on long rides, it kinda put me off a little.
So far, my shortlist (budget around £1k) has:
  1. Giant Escape 1 (would go for the 0, but I am not sure about the 1x drivetrain - see below "sticking points")
  2. Specialized Sirrus 3.0
  3. Canondale Quick 1 (a bit above budget but could stretch - the Quick 2 seems to have pretty basic components - see below) but from what I have read on their website and learned from another forum user, might not be quite comfy away from city riding
  4. Merida Speeder 300
Kinda rejected Trek FX as most reviews say it's heavy/slow
Going by comparison on 99 spokes (for factory gearing - as mentioned I am unlikely to change that) Giant and Sirrus are better uphill (which I like, as I am not keen on uphill cycling) but slower on downhill (and as I said, I like a bit of speed)... So kinda confused.

What everyone thinks about the above - what would they recommend based on my needs&wants?

Also, some "sticking points" I need some clarity on:
  • Drivetrain - instinctively, I like the idea of a 2x, also as I think it would give me better range and efficiency, especially uphill (which I don't love, as mentioned). And I kinda like the feeling of switching through the gears. But a lot of bikes I like (Escape 0, Boardman HYB 8.8/8.9, Sirrus x 4.0 if I felt like proper splurging) all have 1x. Thoughts?
  • Carbon fork - loved it on the Fuji and I think I would like it - I think it might help with shock absorption as well on uneven terrain. True/not?
  • Is it worth me (a newbie, as said several times) also look at second hand full carbon bikes (I.e. the Sirrus Elite or Comp)? Saw a couple of Carbon Sirrus Comp/Elite going for £900/1000. Also I like the idea of the Future shock head tube suspension - does it actually help or is it a gimmick?

Much appreciate your input, o wise forum dwellers!

Last edited by Entrigo; 11-08-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-08-22, 09:01 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
I think the bikes you've picked out will probably suit your needs, in the order you've chosen them.

I fairly recently bought a Giant Roam 3, and like you thought I would appreciate a 2x drivetrain, for 'extra' gearing or whatever, but I've actually found it really jarring. I find the first chainring is too small and the second chainring is too big, leaving me with a very awkward set-up. I end up doing most of my riding in the small ring. I actually think a 1x set-up (with a 'medium sized' front chainring) would be better, and still give me a similar gear range. So that's something for you to watch out for if you decide to go for a 2x.

Ideally you would try the bikes you want to buy before you purchase them (I don't always follow this advice myself), and see which one YOU like best.
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 11-08-22, 11:03 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
We don't have the Escape 0 here in the states, but it looks like a sweat setup. I have owned several Giants in the past and tell you they are a quality product and generally offer a better spec-ed unit at the price point. Makes sense as they manufacture for several other bike brand names. Anyway don't discount the 1X systems they are great IMHO. Currently own two high end bikes with them and would never own a bike with a front derauileur again. Good luck with your purchase. The real fun is shopping as once the cash comes out you need to live with the choice.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-08-22, 02:16 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
So the Trek is out? FX3 was nice but the jump to FX4 was noticable. There's also plenty of room for larger tires and they are no slouches either. But the FX is not as sporty as the Quick 1/2/3. My next stop with the Trek store for a new FX4 when the Quick became available. Now it looks like the FX 4 Sport replaced the FX4 with a carbon fiber frame.

What about Marin?
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2023-fairfax-3
Old 11-09-22, 03:21 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornchips
I think the bikes you've picked out will probably suit your needs, in the order you've chosen them.

I fairly recently bought a Giant Roam 3, and like you thought I would appreciate a 2x drivetrain, for 'extra' gearing or whatever, but I've actually found it really jarring. I find the first chainring is too small and the second chainring is too big, leaving me with a very awkward set-up. I end up doing most of my riding in the small ring. I actually think a 1x set-up (with a 'medium sized' front chainring) would be better, and still give me a similar gear range. So that's something for you to watch out for if you decide to go for a 2x.

Ideally you would try the bikes you want to buy before you purchase them (I don't always follow this advice myself), and see which one YOU like best.

Hmm I think I felt OK with the Roam rings. Granted, I have used the smaller ring sparingly but have the feeling I would like to have the option. Not sure, really torn - I am actually thinking of going crazy and fork out for the Sirrus X 4.0 (sadly can't find any second hand) and that has a single drivetrain.

But yeah, I definitely should go to Giant and Specialized shops and try them out...
Old 11-09-22, 03:28 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah the FX Sport looks good actually. But at that price point, I think I'd rather go for a Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 - I really like the idea of the Future Shock and it feels like it would make sense coming from a front suspension (albeit short lived and little used).

And I am actually really thinking about the Sirrus X now . Oh well, no kids and money burning holes in all my pockets, might as well have fun with it

P.s. OK, the Sirrus X is not fully carbon frame and seems to be fairly slow compared to other bikes. Back to the drawing board it is. FX Sport is genuinely a bit too much though. I could stretch to £1.5k, £1.7k is too far. The risk is that it won't get much use apart from taking me to the tennis court and back and to the shops is real...

@ DowneasTTer
I see it could be easier to use, although having two derailleurs won't bother me. Mainly I am concerned for those (admittedly rare) occasions where I will have to go from low to high gear quickly. Having two front rings I think would make that quicker, without having to go through all 10 gears.

Last edited by Entrigo; 11-09-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-09-22, 08:58 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Sounds like you need to invest in a lock as well. Hopefully you don't get 2 really good bikes stolen...
Old 11-09-22, 10:24 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mate, lock wasn't the problem. The bike was secured to a bolted down metal stand with a £70 Kryptonite yellow U lock, with the front wheel locked to my wife's front wheel with another small U lock. Thieves took up the whole thing: two bikes, stand and patio slabs

Next bike will be on the wall inside...
Old 11-09-22, 12:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,038 Posts
The Trek FX bikes are nice - would consider them
Old 11-10-22, 01:36 AM
Cornchips

Originally Posted by Entrigo
Mate, lock wasn't the problem. The bike was secured to a bolted down metal stand with a £70 Kryptonite yellow U lock, with the front wheel locked to my wife's front wheel with another small U lock. Thieves took up the whole thing: two bikes, stand and patio slabs

Next bike will be on the wall inside...
Wow...surprised you're still keen to buy a decent bike after an experience like that...
Old 11-10-22, 01:58 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah, not going to give in just because some scum decided to take what's mine. Just need to be smarter than them - which is why the bike will go inside (at least for now). Plus, as mentioned earlier, no kids and money burning holes in my pocket Never been good at saving money - life is for living!
Old 11-10-22, 02:19 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, only issue with the Trek is they seem slow - at least going by data from 99 Spokes. I know you can customise and mod gearing but I am not a "tinkerer" so will need something quite nippy from factory.
Old 11-10-22, 03:23 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Right, I think I have settled on a Specialized Sirrus 3 - found a 2020 model going for £799 new. Only minor worry is that they seems to use pretty modest components - Shimano Sora rear derailleur and cassette, Microshift R9 front derailleur and shifters: from what I am reading around they are pretty entry level, which is annoying to find on a bike which has a RRP of £1000 - anyone has any experience with these, especially latest models?

I had Tiagra groupset and Sora shifters on my old Fuji Absolute (roughly 2010 model) and shifting was far from smooth - although it is to be said that I did fit a different speed cassette when I replaced my stolen rear wheel (being a numpty newbie and not buying the right one) and changed the original derailleur once I had that stolen (I live in London after all, bike theft is part and parcel of the game), so not sure where the fault actually lies and can't really remember if shifting was good or bad with the original setup.
Old 11-11-22, 11:10 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Final update on my little quest - Ended up going for a last minute outsider: Merida Speeder 400 - wasn't sure about the components in the Sirrus (although they most probably would have been more than enough for a newbie like me). Thanks all for your advice.
Old 11-11-22, 12:31 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

If you would not mind, start a thread like my Quick 1 and share your experience with us.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 11-13-22, 10:44 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Challenge accepted! I like that, it will also kinda force to get out on it properly.
Old 11-13-22, 07:30 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I'm curious about the bike as I have not heard of the brand until you posted about it. Me thinks the Brits get many great bike options that never make it to the States.
Old 11-14-22, 03:19 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ha, for a change! It is normally the other way around, you seem to have more of everything in the States...

Will definitely start a thread and try to log as regularly as I can - though don't expect any particular depth of technical knowledge from me! Or post about mods
Though who knows? I was actually getting into reading about all the different components etc. It's my limited technical skills that stop me - in the past I struggled even to properly regulate rim brakes, and often rode around with one side touching more than the other hahaha... But I guess you can only learn and get better.