Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Topeak smartgauge d2 air pressure gauge not working

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 05:31 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I've tried on 4 different presta tires and all are reading zero. I swapped the battery and it still registers zero on all tires? I haven't used it in 4 years. But it turned right on.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Generic pic of the gauge.
Old 03-08-22, 06:31 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Get in touch with topeak.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 03-08-22, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Topeak/Todson should be able to help if you have tried everything and confirmed it is set to presta which could cause issues.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-09-22, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Little yellow knob set for presta valves? Nut unscrewed on valve?

https://cdn.topeak.com/storage/app/m...019-01_web.pdf
Old 03-11-22, 09:27 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Little yellow knob set for presta valves? Nut unscrewed on valve?

https://cdn.topeak.com/storage/app/m...019-01_web.pdf
Yeah its set on presta and the presta valve is open.

I called Topeak and they asked me to send it to them. I pay the postage.
Old 03-11-22, 09:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I have the Lezyne digital tire gauge and it won't make a seal. Lezyne wanted to see the original sales receipt. I think maybe the little O-ring is no longer making a sufficient seal.
Old 03-12-22, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I have the Lezyne digital tire gauge and it won't make a seal. Lezyne wanted to see the original sales receipt. I think maybe the little O-ring is no longer making a sufficient seal.
Seems reasonable, most companies would want to see a purchase receipt especially these days with so many fakes and unauthorized sellers out there. Once you send the needed info they should be able to handle it all.
Old 03-13-22, 09:20 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
Yes, I had a good experience with Lezyne customer service. They asked me just to send a picture of the actual blinkie that failed me, and they promptly sent me a new one.

OP, gotta ask: Have you "burped" the presta valve(s) before putting the gauge on?
Old 03-15-22, 08:56 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Seems reasonable, most companies would want to see a purchase receipt especially these days with so many fakes and unauthorized sellers out there. Once you send the needed info they should be able to handle it all.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately in my mess I doubt I could find the original sales receipt. I bought the gauge maybe 1 or 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
Yes, I had a good experience with Lezyne customer service. They asked me just to send a picture of the actual blinkie that failed me, and they promptly sent me a new one.

OP, gotta ask: Have you "burped" the presta valve(s) before putting the gauge on?
Yes, I tried burping the valve but thanks for this reminder. Seems like a bigger issue with tubeless valves since they sometimes get latex sealant interfering.

Yesterday, I used a pick awl and stabbed the Presta O-ring and plucked it from the brass groove. I had this Honda OEM silicon grease (for automotive door gaskets?) and applied some of the silicon grease into the groove. I had some difficulty getting the O-ring home into its groove but eventually it popped in.

So when I went to test tire pressures yesterday, the gauge now gave a crisp reading & popped off in a satisfying way when removed. Now I just need to verify if it works equally well with my other wheelsets.
Old 03-30-22, 04:25 PM
masi61

UPdate: my Topeak Smart Gauge is working fine now that the o-ring has been greased with silicon grease. My aluminum bike really benefits from me taking a few notes and carefully lowering the psi to the point where the ride is less harsh but still fast. I think around 75 psi front and 86-88 psi rear is where it is still fast yet can soak up broken pavement near the white line that otherwise would telegraph through my upper body and butt thus making me more fatigued faster.
Likes For masi61: