Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling a triple tandem bike ?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-12-17, 04:27 PM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

is it hard to cycle a triple quad quint or hex tandem bike ?
Old 08-12-17, 04:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,396 Posts
It's a bit hard, but not very. The key is for all but the captain to forget they're on a bike once it's going. You also have to get used to the larger turning radius which makes steering sluggish. The slow steering response at low speed will make balance harder until you get up to speed, so practice in a parking lot until you get used to the handling.

Starting out from stop can be harder and may remind you of when you first learned how to ride a bike. Depending on the riders, it might help to have the middle rider hold the bike vertical while the others put their feet on both pedals and get it rolling.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-13-17, 04:19 AM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh thanks a lot that gives me an idea when I do get a triple by the way I have been cycling a tandem both as stoker and captain for the past 3 years any other tips you may have I would like to hear them.

Last edited by wsa30h; 08-13-17 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 01:35 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Sure, it's harder than riding a single bike or a tandem, but totally manageable, especially if you already have tandem experience. They take longer to stop due to extra weight, and you do have to be more conscious of cutting turns tight, etc. I also find that my arms and shoulders get more tired compared with captaining the tandem, as I probably unconsciously grip the bars more tightly, as well as having to hold up the bike when the two stokers are clipped in.

We've been tripleting (is that a word? "tandeming" is, so I guess "tripleting" works too, right?) for 6-7 years on our Santana Cabrio, and have done several loaded tours with it, too. It's a lot of fun, and you will get a LOT of attention. People always closely observe us starting out, as I think they secretly want to see us crash. We sometimes feel like a rolling clown show :-)

For the captain, be sure he/she can easily straddle the bike. When the stokers are "loading," I firmly grip the handlebars and kind of spread my legs out in a bracing position while basically sitting on the top tube to steady the bike.
Old 08-15-17, 02:31 PM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thank you so much those are some really good tips and ye am cycling a tandem for 3 years now and absolutely love it
Old 09-13-22, 01:49 PM
charbergs

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Road Tandem, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! Where did you get your Santana Cabrio? Did it get sourced from Europe, or did you get it here in the US?
Old 09-14-22, 04:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by charbergs
Hello! Where did you get your Santana Cabrio? Did it get sourced from Europe, or did you get it here in the US?
You do realize it's been five years since this thread, right? I did check, the o.p. appears to still be an active BF user, but that isn't always the case after so much time.
Old 09-15-22, 04:36 PM
charbergs

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Road Tandem, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did realize that. Figured there was no harm in asking.
Old 09-26-22, 02:22 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by charbergs
I got it as a from a bike shop in Oregon. Santana is based in California, why would I source it from Europe? :-)

It's on my to-do list to get it listed for sale as we haven't ridden it in a few years. If anyone is looking for one, message me privately. Located in Philly, Pa., area. 700c wheels, medium frame, with couplers (since it's a Cabrio).