Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bafang BBS02B + Norco XFR 1 a good combo?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 09:59 AM
havok44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

So I just bought a Bafang BBS02B and big 48v 20Ah Triangle battery
Now I'm looking to top it off with a decent bike to go with it.

I found the 2021 Norco XFR 1 on sale for AU$730 down from $999
10speed Deore will go well with the Bafang single gear me thinks.

1. Is this a good combo? Any better suggestions? to commute to work (bike paths/Sydney roads)
2. Is it even compatible? I cant find any info on the XFR 1 bottom bracket size
Only says Cartridge bearing, BSA threaded

norco.com/bikes/city/urban/xfr/2021-xfr-1

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-22, 10:16 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
The frame has the best geometry (IMO) for a BBS02 since it will "tuck in" much better than frames with a flatter BB area. The probable 73 mm spacing of the BB means you can't use the "jam nut" to secure the unit and will need to use Locktite on the other nut or one of the devices which helps secure the motor, but a BSA BB is the appropriate size. I've had the best results with 68 mm BB's and was able to locate a modern frame with one, but used an early 90's steel hardtail for the other.
Old 10-25-22, 10:35 AM
havok44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The frame has the best geometry (IMO) for a BBS02 since it will "tuck in" much better than frames with a flatter BB area. The probable 73 mm spacing of the BB means you can't use the "jam nut" to secure the unit and will need to use Locktite on the other nut or one of the devices which helps secure the motor, but a BSA BB is the appropriate size. I've had the best results with 68 mm BB's and was able to locate a modern frame with one, but used an early 90's steel hardtail for the other.
thank you so much for responding. So are you saying this bike is on the wider end but should still be within the compatible range? I will read up on this jam nut
Old 10-25-22, 11:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
The jam nut backs up the nut holding the main body of the motor. If the BB is 68 mm, there is room for the jam nut, but not if the BB is 73 mm. Without the jam nut, the nut can loosen and the motor swings back and forth. I think there is room for a stabilizer bar on 73 mm BB's though. It's only $15 at Luna Cycle and probably many other places.
Old 10-25-22, 06:50 PM
havok44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The jam nut backs up the nut holding the main body of the motor. If the BB is 68 mm, there is room for the jam nut, but not if the BB is 73 mm. Without the jam nut, the nut can loosen and the motor swings back and forth. I think there is room for a stabilizer bar on 73 mm BB's though. It's only $15 at Luna Cycle and probably many other places.
good enough for me
I’ll take a punt on a M. I’m between M and L and we have no stock so special order only.