Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Framebuilding instructor in Southern California

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-28-22, 10:24 PM
d2333

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I’m interested in learning frame building but do not have the time or money to take a trip to the better known frame building classes in Oregon, Arizona,etc.
Any leads on someone willing to teach in the greater Southern California area? LA, Ventura, or Santa Barbara counties. Thanks!
Old 08-30-22, 07:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think there are people that teach building in California. I see a couple in the bay area and one in Sacramento. Dave Bohm used to keep a list, but I guess it's too difficult to keep track of schools when they come and go
Old 08-30-22, 11:04 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
AR Cycles in Sacramento has a framebuilding class. Somewhat out of SoCal but I have first hand experience with his. AR Cycles - Home
Likes For Davet:
Old 08-31-22, 04:35 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
There is a thread on the Paceline (started in 2012):

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113817

I won't vouch for its up-to-date-ness, but it's a start.
Old 09-02-22, 01:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's a list of framebuilders. Not sure it's that great of a start finding a teacher. Although I wasn't following all of them on insta
Old 09-02-22, 02:19 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's a list of framebuilders. Not sure it's that great of a start finding a teacher. Although I wasn't following all of them on insta
True, but it gives the OP a list of framebuilding people in Southern California to try contacting. Perhaps some are still building frames and/or know who teaches in the region.

Then again, my guess is the ratio of framebuilding teachers to framebuilders is likely pretty small.
Old 09-02-22, 03:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's sad how many people on that list have passed away.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-02-22, 06:15 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by d2333
Hi. I’m interested in learning frame building but do not have the time or money to take a trip to the better known frame building classes in Oregon, Arizona,etc.
Any leads on someone willing to teach in the greater Southern California area? LA, Ventura, or Santa Barbara counties. Thanks!
Where in So. Calif. are you located?
Old 09-03-22, 01:08 AM
d2333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
Where in So. Calif. are you located?
I live in the city of Ventura
Old 09-03-22, 01:20 AM
d2333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
True, but it gives the OP a list of framebuilding people in Southern California to try contacting. Perhaps some are still building frames and/or know who teaches in the region.

Then again, my guess is the ratio of framebuilding teachers to framebuilders is likely pretty small.
thank you. Yes I went through that paceline list and kind of searched for each builder online. Several links are outdated. But did find a couple active in Santa Barbara and LA areas
Old 09-03-22, 07:02 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer to me, in Torrance. I'm NOT an "instructor," but I could show you a thing or two, learned from the school of hard knocks.

For what it's worth, I'm self taught for the most part. Building the old school way with minimal fixturing. It's very doable, as long as you have a nice flat reference surface to use for aligning and so forth.

I'm still bummed that I missed out on Andy's Henry Jame's fixture sale. That would be fun to own, and speed up the process a lot. Anyway, where there's a will, there's a way.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 09-05-22, 08:17 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Ed- I still have the Cyclery North jigs available. CN Jigs Mods - Bike Forums No way as nice as the HJ one. Andy
Old 09-11-22, 08:24 PM
d2333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
Too bad you aren't closer to me, in Torrance. I'm NOT an "instructor," but I could show you a thing or two, learned from the school of hard knocks.

For what it's worth, I'm self taught for the most part. Building the old school way with minimal fixturing. It's very doable, as long as you have a nice flat reference surface to use for aligning and so forth.

I'm still bummed that I missed out on Andy's Henry Jame's fixture sale. That would be fun to own, and speed up the process a lot. Anyway, where there's a will, there's a way.
Thank you for your feedback. It's nice to hear someone say it's doable. In the grand scheme of things, Torrance is not too far off. If you have any time or willingness to show me some things I think it would be worth it for me. Feel free to private message me if you'd like.
Thank you
Dennis
Old 11-06-22, 09:46 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
I'm reviving this thread. I used to live in Los Olivos (and miss it).
From Ventura, I'd reach out to Stinner and Santa Barbara Cruisers to see if they'd be willing to have you shadow someone and volunteer.
You could also try to reach out to Tim Neenan of Santa Ynez, but he retired a number of years ago now.
Old 11-07-22, 12:30 PM
d2333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I'm reviving this thread. I used to live in Los Olivos (and miss it).
From Ventura, I'd reach out to Stinner and Santa Barbara Cruisers to see if they'd be willing to have you shadow someone and volunteer.
You could also try to reach out to Tim Neenan of Santa Ynez, but he retired a number of years ago now.
I appreciate that feedback. I definitely admire the work at Stinner. Yes it seems the way to go in this area would be to volunteer my time rather than look for a “teacher.” Thanks for the push to start reaching out to people.