Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Using ski helmet for winter cycling?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-30-22, 01:07 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

I am not advocating for the use of ski helmets. Just came across a description of a ski helmet and it seemed a good fit for winter cycling. Hence this query.

Ski helmets are designed with ear flaps, warm lining, full coverage of rear of head, and adjustable vents.
Seems to offer desirable qualities for winter cycling.
How does it perform on the safety front? Any experiences?

Last edited by anga; 10-31-22 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-30-22, 03:19 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Can't speak to that but I use ski goggles in the winter and they're great! With a wool watch cap under my helmet and a big scarf I'm nearly 100% covered.
Old 10-31-22, 05:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I think they'd be too hot....at least for me. I bike year round down to 5F. At that temp I wear a light balaclava over my face and ears, plus a headband over my ears, and sometimes over that the hood to the hi-viz yellow windbreaker, which is enough, even with my highly-vented helmet.

You don't mention how cold a temperature you plan to ride in. I know that in Minnesota and Canada there are many who bike ride down below 0F and into the negative teens.

One of the best things I learned from bikeforums early on was to not overdress in the winter. Dress for 12 to 15 minutes into the ride when you are all warmed up. Less sweat equals warmer, more comfortable riding.

I've been commuting year-round for 30 years in Colorado Springs where it's usually in the mid-teens and 20s above 0F in the morning in the heart of winter.

Of course, everybody's different, and if a ski-helmet works for you, then use it.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-31-22, 09:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
I'm sure you'll find some threads here.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Old 10-31-22, 11:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
From time to time an actual bicycle helmet company will offer a winter helmet. I've got an old Bell Metro with the winter kit I use in cold weather.

They usually don't sell well and are dropped after a year or two. Snag one when you can if that's your bag.
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-17-22, 02:52 PM
FloBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they will also provide safety.
Old 11-19-22, 05:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by FloBike
I think they will also provide safety.
Care to expand?

A bicycle helmet is designed for cycling and the impacts one could get while cycling a ski helmet is designed for the impacts one could get while skiing. While yes it is likely that a ski helmet could provide some similar protection it may not be rated to the same standards and also potentially with the added material especially around the ear it could be harder to hear traffic but I am not a skier and have really only done it once so I don't have much time in a ski helmet.

My regular cycling helmet with a balaclava underneath and maybe a windproof cover on the outside usually is enough for most stuff.
Old 11-19-22, 06:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Living down here in the south I had to look up ski helmets. Looks to me a Ski Helmet would go just fine on a bicycle. But I am not sure a bicycle helmet would do on the ski slopes unless it was the only thing ya had...
Old 11-21-22, 01:24 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Care to expand?

A bicycle helmet is designed for cycling and the impacts one could get while cycling a ski helmet is designed for the impacts one could get while skiing. While yes it is likely that a ski helmet could provide some similar protection it may not be rated to the same standards and also potentially with the added material especially around the ear it could be harder to hear traffic but I am not a skier and have really only done it once so I don't have much time in a ski helmet.

My regular cycling helmet with a balaclava underneath and maybe a windproof cover on the outside usually is enough for most stuff.
I disagree that ski impacts are less than cycling. Also - I ride down well below -20C, down into the ranges where C and F are pretty much the same. Wearing enough to be warm underneath a helmet just isn't comfortable, and probably not effective at all in a crash (yes, I use a helmet cover in the shoulder seasons). I wear a poly balaclava, but before I got the Bollé ski helmet I'd sometimes go without the bike helmet to wear a second balaclava and touque to be warm enough.

I really think that something like Ski helmets are a great solution - as other people mentioned, winter biking specific helmets have been few and far between, and typically expensive. Ski helmets, at least here, are readily available.
Old 11-21-22, 02:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I disagree that ski impacts are less than cycling. Also - I ride down well below -20C, down into the ranges where C and F are pretty much the same. Wearing enough to be warm underneath a helmet just isn't comfortable, and probably not effective at all in a crash (yes, I use a helmet cover in the shoulder seasons). I wear a poly balaclava, but before I got the Bollé ski helmet I'd sometimes go without the bike helmet to wear a second balaclava and touque to be warm enough.

I really think that something like Ski helmets are a great solution - as other people mentioned, winter biking specific helmets have been few and far between, and typically expensive. Ski helmets, at least here, are readily available.
What are you disagreeing with? I made no statements on whose impacts are more or less I stated they are potentially different and potentially the same. I was sort of neutral on the damage because I don't know, I have skied once and while to some that would qualify them as an expert to me I still know almost nothing and all I can remember is my butt hurt more than anything and doing a 30 mile ride the next day was excruciating...LOL

In terms of that cold yeah probably a warmer helmet would help quite a bit. I love biking but I personally have my limits but really cool that you are going out in that but I don't think I could do it. Once it goes to negatives I am inside with some mulled cider and a good movie. Now I guess if I had a fat bike and a place to use it, it might slightly change my tune a little maybe? But I really don't like it that cold.
Old 11-22-22, 01:04 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I wear a Kali road helmet year round for both on and off road cycling. As the temperature drops I progress from ear muffs to a nomex NFPA 1970 (structural fire fighting) rated balaclava, to a Cold Avenger, and finally the Cold Avenger over the balaclava.
I also have a yarmulke under the helmet all the time, but I doubt that it adds much warmth.
I haven't looked at the standards for ski helmets vs bicycle helmets, but I would guess that they reflect the higher speeds on skis and the tendency for ski crashes to be on a softer surface than concrete. Also, because they tend to be on steeper inclines, the ski crashes I have seen involved multiple impacts.
I do wear a hockey helmet for white water kayaking and I know that they have a much more rigid shell, and mine uses a gel that works for multiple impacts. I wouldn't wear it on a bike.
Old 11-22-22, 05:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I wear a hat or balaclava under a regular helmet. but I do use a helmet that fits a hat better. as opposed to a smaller lighter summer helmet