Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bar tape

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 05:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OCD would count the laps - both sides the same number of wraps, both above and below the brakes. A truly OCD would be counting as they wrap and already know how many laps it was going to be.
Dayam! No wonder my bike feels like it pulls to one side.
Old 12-04-22, 06:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
I'm stuck in my habits, but I don't know why starting at the stem isn't more popular. I can't see it not resulting in an equal product; you're wrapping the same, just backwards.
The theory is if one wraps from the tops down to the bar ends, the exposed edge of the tape on the tops point toward the center of the bike and the exposed edge of the tape on the drops point forward, such that one's natural hand movements tend to catch and lift the edge of the tape.
Old 12-04-22, 08:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm stuck in my habits, but I don't know why starting at the stem isn't more popular. I can't see it not resulting in an equal product; you're wrapping the same, just backwards. Most tapes offer more than enough that you don't need to worry about running out.
Next time I do a wrap job, I think I'll give it a try.
Because if you're using normal bar tape it's the wrong way to do it. As someone else posted before me the tape edges will get lifted up from the normal pressure your hands put on it. There's a reason 99.9999999% are done from the bottom up. It works better and tucking tape at the bar end looks stupid...and comes undone.
Old 12-04-22, 08:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I'm stuck in my habits, but I don't know why starting at the stem isn't more popular. I can't see it not resulting in an equal product; you're wrapping the same, just backwards. Most tapes offer more than enough that you don't need to worry about running out.
Next time I do a wrap job, I think I'll give it a try.
i've done it once on the left side only. tried as an experiment partly due to using this mirror:

https://www.italianroadbikemirror.com/

great mirror but seems to rotate from time to time and i need to undo the bar tape to fix. so, by going from stem to end i don't have to undo all the tape.

not unhappy with the result and i don't have to use the crappy tape that comes with the kit to hold the bar tape at the stem.
Old 12-05-22, 12:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
OCD would count the laps - both sides the same number of wraps, both above and below the brakes. A truly OCD would be counting as they wrap and already know how many laps it was going to be.
Making sure any logos line up in a repeating pattern that is the same on both sides.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-05-22, 06:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by genejockey
Making sure any logos line up in a repeating pattern that is the same on both sides.
That is impossible!
Old 12-05-22, 06:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I do that.

I don't do that, but only because it's impossible to do while maintaining the proper amount of tension.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is impossible!
Agreed, and I have tried.
Old 12-05-22, 07:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is impossible!
Possibly, but I checked my bikes last night, and one at least one, although the logos didn't line up, they were in the same places on the left and right sides.

I have heard that bike shops will tell the new guy that he HAS TO have exactly the same amount of tape left over on each side, just to watch him go nuts trying. I think I managed that ONCE.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-05-22, 07:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Possibly, but I checked my bikes last night, and one at least one, although the logos didn't line up, they were in the same places on the left and right sides.
That reflects nearly the same tension being maintained on both sides while wrapping the handlebar. Good job!

I have heard that bike shops will tell the new guy that he HAS TO have exactly the same amount of tape left over on each side, just to watch him go nuts trying. I think I managed that ONCE.
Exactly the same remaining length on each side is difficult. Given the number of loops the tapes take up from the bar ends, around the STI levers, and across a length of the tops wide enough for my hands, I think aiming for +/- 1" is acceptable.
Old 12-06-22, 10:55 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Definitely me.

I've tried... I get close enough. But I also make sure the distance from the where the tape ends to the stem is equal on both sides. Lol.
Old 12-08-22, 01:52 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I have heard stories of prima donna pros accusing their mechanic of causing their crash by not having the right amount of tension on their bar tape.