Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Way Western Man? 2013 GT Edge Ti or 2020 Ritchey Road Logic

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-22, 09:22 PM
sweitee

Bikes: 2013 GT Edge TI, 2019 Gunnar Hyper-X,1989/90/91 (?) Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Hi all,

Pretty new here, but I'm currently trying to decide between these two bikes (both with 6800 Ultegra rim brake) and wanted to hear some outside opinions. The GT Edge Ti is $1100 or less and the Ritchey Logic would be almost $1900 with shipping fees. Other considerations are that I should be able to check on the GT before purchase, but I don't know the exact frame size (FB Marketplace sale where the seller isn't a cyclist themselves) whereas the Logic would be shipped across the US before I see it but I do know how it would fit. I'm stuck between what seems like a riskier move that could pay off big (GT) and a more expensive, more reliable option. What is your opinion?

Last edited by sweitee; 12-07-22 at 09:23 PM. Reason: too many commas
Old 12-08-22, 06:19 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
The modern Ritchey, for sure.

The GT would be a nice novelty for someone with a collection, but is outdated as a daily rider.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-08-22, 08:05 AM
sweitee

Bikes: 2013 GT Edge TI, 2019 Gunnar Hyper-X,1989/90/91 (?) Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Thanks! Outdated how? Geometry? Tire clearance?
Old 12-08-22, 08:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by sweitee
It's not outdated. That's hogwash. It might have 10 cogs in back rather than 11 or 12 on the Ritchey, but otherwise it'll be fine.

Buy the bike that fits you better, and -- with either one -- make sure you have adequately assessed the condition and whether you'll have to put money in to make it roadworthy. A used bike might need tires, a chain and/or cassette, tuneup, etc.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-08-22, 09:27 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Ritchey.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-08-22, 09:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The modern Ritchey, for sure.

The GT would be a nice novelty for someone with a collection, but is outdated as a daily rider.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2013-medium
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/gt-bi...-and-the-fury/

This doesnt seem outdated to me. At least it doesnt seem any more outdated than a 2020 rim brake road bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-08-22, 09:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
What is your opinion?
The Ritchey is certainly more iconic in my mind and really nice. If Ritchey made a frame in my size, I would 100% own one. I am a Ritchey brand and history nerd though.
Between the two, I would go for the Ritchey- you know it fits and there is almost for sure less wear on components due to age.

The GT is really cool though- triple triangle, titanium, smaller brand in the road scene, etc. One thing to consider- what wheels are on each? Just something to keep in mind when deciding since wheels can be quite expensive and if one has really quality wheels, that may push you one way or the other.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-08-22, 10:47 AM
sweitee

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
One thing to consider- what wheels are on each? Just something to keep in mind when deciding since wheels can be quite expensive and if one has really quality wheels, that may push you one way or the other.
The GT has a basic Ultegra wheelset (Rims and hub) and the Ritchey has Ritchey Zetas, so kinda hard to make a call based on that as well.

According to the GT seller, that bike has about 2000 miles on all the components, so there may be some tires/chains/cassette that need replacement in the near future, but I expect that. I am a bit curious about the Ultegra 6800 on the Ritchey though because I assume it would have come off of a different build at some point so I don't know the wear of those components.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 12-08-22, 11:50 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
My 2001 Ritchey had Ultegra 6500 9 speed on it. I have no Idea how many miles are on it, and I am pretty sure it was original to the bike. Still shifts fine. If it’s well maintained the older groupset should be fine.

I personally hated the hoods of the 6500 so I just put 105 R7000 on the Ritchey yesterday.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-08-22, 05:47 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
I've actually ridden both of those frames and I'd go Ritchey 100%. The Ritchey is probably one of the smoothest feeling (I know, subjective) frames I've ridden. One bike I regret selling, although it was too small for me.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 12-08-22, 08:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
I did speak prematurely on that, and my mind went immediately to the earlier Edge Ti; I didn’t even realize GT did an Edge 2 in ‘13. Looking at it properly, I see the E2 is not really outdated. Between the tube shaping, tapered head tube, pressfit BB, it actually looks quite up-to-date. Sorry for being hasty to knock it, as it does present a pretty neat ownership proposition.

I bought a GT Karakoram K2 MTB back in ‘89 or ‘90, and had a Zaskar LE alu bike a bit after, so I have an enduring soft spot for the brand and their triple triangle feature, but I’m not sure they ever made a brilliant road bike, and I’m far more partial to Ritchey’s role in the American cycling storybook anyway, so am still partial to the Ritchey Road Logic over the GT for that reason alone, although I also think the odds— odds, since you haven’t ridden either— of the RL being a superlative performer are better.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-08-22, 09:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
More important which frame fits better and is more comfortable for you if all is equal that is your easy answer.

If I were choosing personally for myself I would go Ti but I like Ti and while I do love steel and Ritchey I can fairly easily get a Ritchey Road Logic frame but an old triple triangle ti frame from GT not so much. However I have steel road bikes (a Phil Wood and Proteus as well as a Co-Motion touring bike and a Cinelli single speed and some flat bar stuff) and I also have a titanium road bike with plans for more so something unique is more exciting to me. But for you fit and comfort is most important and if you are just getting it for groupset go for the cheapest.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-08-22, 09:56 PM
sweitee

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight here! I am currently limited in the number of posts I can make so I'll try to respond to everyone as best I can as cohesively as possible in one post.

- Skip all the paragraph below if I'm boring you -

I think I did neglect to mention something here that is a factor in my own decision making - I am, I think, relatively young within the context of this forum (late 20's) which makes me way things in a specific way...
1 - limited budget - my overall plan is to sell my current bike that I quite enjoy (2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1) and take that money to purchase 2 separate bikes - one rim road and one disc gravel (biased towards quality steel/titanium) I'm not big into N+1, but I don't like feeling slow on road-only rides and dislike having nothing to ride when my bike is in the shop.
2 - testing preferences - I find that at least within my own relatively short life, I like to try a number of different things to try and see whether I would like something I wouldn't otherwise expect - weird shoes, unusual food, gauche furniture - to test my preferences and better confirm that my immediate preference will be the thing I will like best overall. Often I will end up confirming my initial opinion. In this case I think the RL would be my long term preference, but I like to know that I've tried other options to avoid feeling FOMO.
3 - I'm uh still young and dumb - I wanna try the (slightly) more aggressive geometry, and (slightly) racier bike. I know that both bikes would hold value relatively well so I want to try the one that is a little bit rarer and harder to come by. Also its just sitting in someones barn whereas I have more faith that the LR will be used and enjoyed.

I am feeling like going for the GT against most suggestions but in line with the opinions from my LBS. I'm not unfamiliar with Ritchey's history and will probably end up one day owning a RL for a long time but I wanna see what else is out there before I get one, that way I am more confident in my choice. I also have the chance to see and test the GT in person unlike the Ritchey and if it doesn't fit right or there's some other issue, I think the RL will still be available. Additionally, I may have overstated that I know how the Logic would fit me. The size (55) fits within the geo of previous bikes I've comfortably ridden, but I haven't tested a Ritchey Logic in particular.

Caliwild I'd love to hear more about the GT's ride qualities independent of the Logic.

Also separately or maybe not so much, there is a Parlee Altum LE on the NYC Craigslist that is really gumming up my decision-making process. IDK if anyone has seen it, but its a 2018 framset with nice bits (ENVE stem/bars, ENVE 2.2 SES tubular rims with Chris King hubs, but a weirdly underwhelming Shimano 105 11spd groupset). I can't link due to the aforementioned obviously being a new account. If anyone has seen that, is that worth checking out or am I missing something? If someone sees this and buys that bike I would appreciate not having to wonder if I'm missing out

Sorry for the wall of text everyone and thank you!
Likes For sweitee:
Old 12-09-22, 07:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
A quote comes to mind..."Many people live their lives based on what they've heard."

OP..Nice to see someone in their twenties with their head screwed on right. Rather than following the "herd"..find out with 1st-hand experience and go from there. You may(will) form your own unique views on the world and thereby add something to it. Lemmings are a dime a dozen...and boring.

One approach would be to buy both bikes and ride them. If you need to pare down to one..pick the one you like the most and sell the other. If you paid a good-fair price for each bike, then you should be able to sell one of them for about what you paid for it..no harm, no foul.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 12-09-22, 11:18 AM
Caliwild

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight here! I am currently limited in the number of posts I can make so I'll try to respond to everyone as best I can as cohesively as possible in one post.

- Skip all the paragraph below if I'm boring you -

I think I did neglect to mention something here that is a factor in my own decision making - I am, I think, relatively young within the context of this forum (late 20's) which makes me way things in a specific way...
1 - limited budget - my overall plan is to sell my current bike that I quite enjoy (2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1) and take that money to purchase 2 separate bikes - one rim road and one disc gravel (biased towards quality steel/titanium) I'm not big into N+1, but I don't like feeling slow on road-only rides and dislike having nothing to ride when my bike is in the shop.
2 - testing preferences - I find that at least within my own relatively short life, I like to try a number of different things to try and see whether I would like something I wouldn't otherwise expect - weird shoes, unusual food, gauche furniture - to test my preferences and better confirm that my immediate preference will be the thing I will like best overall. Often I will end up confirming my initial opinion. In this case I think the RL would be my long term preference, but I like to know that I've tried other options to avoid feeling FOMO.
3 - I'm uh still young and dumb - I wanna try the (slightly) more aggressive geometry, and (slightly) racier bike. I know that both bikes would hold value relatively well so I want to try the one that is a little bit rarer and harder to come by. Also its just sitting in someones barn whereas I have more faith that the LR will be used and enjoyed.

I am feeling like going for the GT against most suggestions but in line with the opinions from my LBS. I'm not unfamiliar with Ritchey's history and will probably end up one day owning a RL for a long time but I wanna see what else is out there before I get one, that way I am more confident in my choice. I also have the chance to see and test the GT in person unlike the Ritchey and if it doesn't fit right or there's some other issue, I think the RL will still be available. Additionally, I may have overstated that I know how the Logic would fit me. The size (55) fits within the geo of previous bikes I've comfortably ridden, but I haven't tested a Ritchey Logic in particular.

Caliwild I'd love to hear more about the GT's ride qualities independent of the Logic.

Also separately or maybe not so much, there is a Parlee Altum LE on the NYC Craigslist that is really gumming up my decision-making process. IDK if anyone has seen it, but its a 2018 framset with nice bits (ENVE stem/bars, ENVE 2.2 SES tubular rims with Chris King hubs, but a weirdly underwhelming Shimano 105 11spd groupset). I can't link due to the aforementioned obviously being a new account. If anyone has seen that, is that worth checking out or am I missing something? If someone sees this and buys that bike I would appreciate not having to wonder if I'm missing out

The GT didn't feel like your average Ti bike... it was a lot more stiff. Maybe if you want that, that's fine. But I wanted something quick but still comfortable... That Parlee sounds good too, especially with the nice wheels (although I'm not a fan of tubular... too much hassle). 105 11 speed is actually very similar to Ultegra of the same year...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 12-09-22, 01:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Ritchey has a great history, started making bikes as a racer back in the 70s and got into building some early mountain bikes and eventually built up into a global empire. Really awesome down to earth guy who still brazes some great frames whenever he does it and still has the best office chair in the world a bike saddle attached to a bike he is pedaling.
Here is a lovely interview he did in Germany I believe:

As I said earlier Ritchey Logics are still in production so you won't miss the boat here. Still great frames but no more GT Ti frames and triple frames are rare these days as well.

Good luck in everything and know that you may end up changing your mind very soon so get something with some room to add spacers or a higher rise stem or something like that. We don't stay in our 20s forever sadly though I would go back to my teens or earlier if I could.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-09-22, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
I've had a Ritchey Road Logic since 1997. It is a great bike. Everytime I ride it, I think, "If I had to have only one bike, and it was this one, that would be okay."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-09-22, 04:31 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Fan of both GT and Richey with respect to the brands. Never rode either bike in the OP specifically, but do have an older GT Ti bike.

98 GT Forte
Now this one is a bit dated but the 2013 remix still seems modern enough minus the cable routing and brakes.

I think I would go with the GT personally because I think it's more unique but this is not a knock on the Ritchey.

Some of the Ritchey frames come apart (Breakaway) to enable easier packing for travel, so if that's a consideration I'd go with the Ritchey. I have too many bikes now but came close on two occasions to picking up a Ritchey CX Breakaway.

Last edited by tFUnK; 12-09-22 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 12-09-22, 06:19 PM
sweitee

tFUnK Now that's a pretty bike imo.

I don't need to keep dragging everyone into my process and I'm appreciative of all your insights and opinions! I do have limited funds so I am going to try to get the cheapest option which is the GT. Its listed at $1100 but the listing has been up for almost half a year so I'm going to try some barganing

I did however also send a message to the Parlee owner I mentioned previously because I want to know what is going on with it and if I can get that bike in good shape for $1250...Whew. seems too good to be true.

Thanks for the help and I will give updates if anyone is interested once I actually have a bike in hand.
Likes For sweitee:
Old 12-09-22, 07:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
We're always interested in the outcomes!
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-09-22, 07:29 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I am a big fan of titanium. On my third one, and each one has been a joy to ride. Quite a few years ago the shop I worked in was a Ritchey dealer and had the opportunity to ride a bunch of different models. Each one had its merits and were well made with beautiful paint jobs. None of them were compelling enough to convince me to purchase. Bike are soooo personal, everyone has an opinion, therefore I am with the others that say go for the GT because it is unique and just plain sweet looking. Add to that it is titanium, which is enough to convince me to go for it because I really like titanium frames.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-10-22, 09:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

You should drag us in this is a good two bikes. Normally people are choosing between which of the same basic bike should I buy maybe it is which carbon 105 equipped bike should I buy or help me choose between 3 generic aluminum bikes or something like that this is actually a good one. A cool but kind of odd ball ti bike and a Ritchey classic steel roadie can't beat a really solid match up.

Last edited by veganbikes; 12-10-22 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-11-22, 12:15 AM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
2020 Ritchey has clearance for 700x30 tires, if that's something that's important to you. I really like that as a heavier rider, because I can run lower tire pressures and not worry about blowouts on long descents.
It's a nice bike, great paint job on it too, Tom spent a lot of time thinking about road bikes and it shows in the ride. But that price difference with GT is nothing to sneeze at either, so if you like the look or want Titanium, something to think about.
Old 12-11-22, 10:44 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's not outdated. That's hogwash. It might have 10 cogs in back rather than 11 or 12 on the Ritchey, but otherwise it'll be fine.

Buy the bike that fits you better, and -- with either one -- make sure you have adequately assessed the condition and whether you'll have to put money in to make it roadworthy. A used bike might need tires, a chain and/or cassette, tuneup, etc.
He said both bikes have 6800 which is 11-speed.

I agree on buying the bike that fits you better. Sight unseen, you may not like the Ritchey once you get it which makes me lean toward the GT.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-09-23, 02:37 PM
sweitee

Here's the GT I ended up with. It may turn out to be too small for me in the end, but I got it for a bargain anyway. I've had a few rides and really enjoyed it so far!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.