Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seatpost in carryon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seatpost in carryon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 02:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ah...I thought you were talking about this P38.
I've got a metal CO2 bb-gun version of that one. I don't think I'd ever admit trying to get on a plane with a handgun.

Last edited by smd4; 12-08-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 02:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Should have seen how long they looked at the folding music stand in my trumpet case on the x-ray machine, backing it up, moving it forward, backing it up, moving it forward...
Old 12-08-22, 03:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
Leave the seat on the seatpost and you probably won't have a problem. Especially if you have one of those fat-*** comfort seats.
Originally Posted by smd4
If they don't allow it and then confiscate it--is that worth the risk to you?
I recently took a flight, and had mistakenly left a Swiss Army Knife in my carry-on bag. TSA didn't catch it, and I found it when unpacking. It is a very large knife...It has at least a half-dozen tools that could be used to kill someone.

My point: there's some randomness and idiosyncrasy built into the system. Unless you're willing to lose that seatpost when TSA forbids you from carrying it on the plane, then find another plan.
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I personally had a Park pedal wrench pulled by TSA. They didn't like that at all. Bye bye wrench.
The airline might have guidelines, but it's TSA that makes the on-the-spot decisions. And those decisions are not always in line with their own guidelines. It doesn't matter what experiences others have had. I've had tiny knives (key chain size) and small, blunt tip scissors allowed through for years, and then all of a sudden they're confiscated. I've had C02 cartridges packed with my bikes (oversized, different security check) and they've gone through several times, and I thought for sure certain size and quantity were allowed. Then, last time, they were taken out of the tool kit in my bike case. I don't argue. I might say "I thought I read they were allowed", but won't press the point.

My assumption (assumption = WAG) is that it wouldn't be allowed, any more than a large wrench would be allowed. I've always packed my pedal wrench checked baggage for that reason. I don't think there's any 100% way of knowing. I'd mail it or have your friend pack it as checked baggage and pay the fee for him/her.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-08-22 at 03:07 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-08-22, 04:54 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Just disguise it with the family dog, or cat, and they'll be so flabbergasted that they'll never notice the post!
Seriously, I would not think it would be a good idea to try to bring a seatpost in a carry on. (and shouldn't it be called a "saddle post" - have seen several corrected on the site when referring to a "seat".
Old 12-08-22, 05:54 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
When I used to fly on a regular basis I left one of those flat 7-****ion painter's multi-tools in my backpack that I was using as a carry-on. The TSA guy took it out, looked at it, and I said 'its cheap, I'll get a new one when I get back' and he tossed it in the confiscation bin.

Old 12-08-22, 06:09 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Mrs. Dan has flown with a set of bagpipes in a carry on bag. They were small pipes, not Great Highlands pipes, but still should have been considered a deadly weapon.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-08-22, 06:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Mrs. Dan has flown with a set of bagpipes in a carry on bag. They were small pipes, not Great Highlands pipes, but still should have been considered a deadly weapon.
I happen to like bagpipes. Glad they didn't destroy them.
Old 12-08-22, 06:57 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I happen to like bagpipes.
Ally the Piper on YouTube. You’re welcome.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-08-22, 07:49 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Some might consider them deadly to your ears.
I find it funny that my wife can carry an arsenal of knitting needles on board without a problem.
Also funny that some restaurants (post-security check) have set their tables with metal knives, forks,and spoons.
Old 12-08-22, 08:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The airline might have guidelines, but it's TSA that makes the on-the-spot decisions. And those decisions are not always in line with their own guidelines. It doesn't matter what experiences others have had.

I don't think there's any 100% way of knowing.
Exactly. This is like the recent thread about bringing on oversized bike box that an airline’s website says will not be accepted. Maybe someone has been successful, but that doesn’t mean everyone will be.

If the item is more valuable than any checked baggage fee, check it in a bag. Otherwise, accept the risk that it could be confiscated. When I do tours away from home I put my stove in my bike box for shipping. I’d rather not have it subjected to that sort of travel, but I’m not willing to risk loosing a $170 item that I might get away with carrying on or checking.

And to show you how goofy people can be…I had a sealed cup on pineapple confiscated. Why? Because the TSA agent said it was more than 3 Oz. No amount of explaining was going to convince her that 4 Oz. net weight (marked on the container) was not the same as 4 fluid Oz.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-08-22 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-22, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Ally the Piper on YouTube. You’re welcome.
She is great! Thanks for sharing for everyone : )!
Old 12-08-22, 10:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Ah...I thought you were talking about this P38.
Me too.
Old 12-08-22, 10:37 PM
phughes

I've got a metal CO2 bb-gun version of that one. I don't think I'd ever admit trying to get on a plane with a handgun.
SO what P38 are you talking about?
Old 12-08-22, 10:40 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
In 2006 I was stopped by TSA when they saw something in my carry-on when it went through the x-ray check.

It was a sunroof latch assembly for an 89 Ford Mustang GT. At the time it was a hard to find part and I was taking it from San Diego to Wichita KS.
They had me take it out of the bag. They eyeballed and fondled it all over. Asked questions about why I had it in my carry-on, what's it for, why am I bringing it to Kansas, and what am I using it for.
In the end, they accepted my reasons and I took it with me.

Here's what that scary part look like...
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 12-08-22, 10:42 PM
phughes

I was flying home from Vietnam, and my bag got flagged. I am used to that since I carry something rather odd in my carry-on, and it looks weird on the x-ray. That wasn't it though. It ended up being a pen I had. The pen in question had a laser pointer in it. They didn't want me to carry it on the plane. Keep in mind, this conversation involved me speaking English, and them speaking Vietnamese and a wee bit of English, along with some pointing. They directed me back to the check in counter where I could check the pen free of charge, they even gave me a box. When I landed in the states, I retrieve the small box from the baggage claim, and removed my tiny pen, with people looking at me oddly wondering why I checked a pen.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-09-22, 12:21 AM
Camilo

Originally Posted by phughes
SO what P38 are you talking about?
It's an incredibly inexpensive, compact and efficient can opener. A true gem of functionality. First used in WW 2 for K-rats and C-rats until sometime in the 80s. Available for a buck or two in any surplus and many camping stores.

Old 12-09-22, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

It's an incredibly inexpensive, compact and efficient can opener. A true gem of functionality. First used in WW 2 for K-rats and C-rats until sometime in the 80s. Available for a buck or two in any surplus and many camping stores.

Called the best thing the Army ever invented. I take a P-51 (the larger version) on my bike tours.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-22, 08:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Well, at least it wasn't a Lightning. That had me really confused.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-09-22, 11:55 AM
phughes

Okay, that makes more sense. I have actually had one, just didn't know it by that name.
Old 12-09-22, 05:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Way back in 1988 I flew from South Africa to Canada and I carried two folding knives with me plus some other items which are considered a security risk. I went through a security check without any problems at all. Fast forward into 2022, we live in a society where a toothpick or bicycle component is considered a dangerous weapon. Very sad.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-09-22, 07:00 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Way back in 1988 I flew from South Africa to Canada and I carried two folding knives with me plus some other items which are considered a security risk. I went through a security check without any problems at all. Fast forward into 2022, we live in a society where a toothpick or bicycle component is considered a dangerous weapon. Very sad.
1988? You're comparing airplane security issues from 1988 to now? I'm sure I carried knives in 1988 too, but that has no bearing on 2022 and it wouldn't cross my mind that it should. We also carried our personal stashes of weed on our person back then because there was no chance of it being discovered, while there would be a slight chance in baggage.

I doubt a toothpick has ever been considered a security risk. You've experienced that? But a seat post? I don't think it's far-fetched or unreasonable to consider an object like a wrench or metal rod could be used to hurt someone. But that's just me. I've had inconsistency from time to time from individual inspectors, but I consider them to be trivial, and while I may disagree, it's generally at least somewhat understandable.

I'm not a person who complains about airplane security. Nothing I've ever personally experienced has seemed to me to be unreasonable and/or difficult for me to accommodate. About a million miles flown since the 80s. Not the most among people I know, but a lot.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-09-22 at 07:05 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-11-22, 10:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
That sure beats carrion in your seatpost.
Old 12-11-22, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

1988? You're comparing airplane security issues from 1988 to now? I'm sure I carried knives in 1988 too, but that has no bearing on 2022 and it wouldn't cross my mind that it should. We also carried our personal stashes of weed on our person back then because there was no chance of it being discovered, while there would be a slight chance in baggage.

I doubt a toothpick has ever been considered a security risk. You've experienced that? But a seat post? I don't think it's far-fetched or unreasonable to consider an object like a wrench or metal rod could be used to hurt someone. But that's just me. I've had inconsistency from time to time from individual inspectors, but I consider them to be trivial, and while I may disagree, it's generally at least somewhat understandable.

I'm not a person who complains about airplane security. Nothing I've ever personally experienced has seemed to me to be unreasonable and/or difficult for me to accommodate. About a million miles flown since the 80s. Not the most among people I know, but a lot.
He’s simply trolling again.

Yeah. Much different today. Before we left Italy in 2013, the GF and I bought some home goods, including a lite paring knife that looked perfect for cooking during bike tours. She brought everything back to the residence and offered to pack it. I told her the knife needed to go in her checked bag. She forgot and put it in her carryon bag. It got confiscated at security at the Venice airport.
Old 12-11-22, 01:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Much different today. Before we left Italy in 2013, the GF and I bought some home goods, including a lite paring knife that looked perfect for cooking during bike tours. She brought everything back to the residence and offered to pack it. I told her the knife needed to go in her checked bag. She forgot and put it in her carryon bag. It got confiscated at security at the Venice airport.
Good point. I simply cannot imagine that an object the size and shape of a seat post would pass muster in a carry on bag given the current security precautions. I wouldn't take the chance if this object is something that would be difficult or expensive to replace
Old 12-11-22, 01:37 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,115 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Got held up at tsa in Tulsa for about 20 minutes while the guy inspected every vintage part I brought back in one shoe box. Yeah, 20 minutes. At least. Just pedals, derailleurs, little stuff. Rather absurd, I thought. I always check it or mail it now.
When I saw my granddaughter off in Tulsa this summer, there were a couple of display cases at the entrance to the security screener with many obvious and some not so obvious things that were confiscated. Some of them were multi-tool items I've seen advertised as being FAA approved for carry on. The decision to confiscate something is not cut and dry, the screener likely can and will pull something.

In the OP's scenario, given the likelihood that a seat post could be seen as something to bonk someone over the head, I don't think I would try to get one through as a carry on if it was something important to me.

Likes For Chuck M:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.