Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 07:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I had Shingles in my eye the doc had to put a lens or something on my eye to check it. I couldn't handle it and I tried. Each time the thing touched my eye I fought it. I once had a piece of metal plucked out of my eye and it wasn't that bad.
So the eye speculum would do you in right off the bat?

This gizmo is like the 30 second warning.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 12-08-22 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 07:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Baker looks weird on the Rams.
Old 12-08-22, 07:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr

The eye speculum is like the 30 second warning.

F! that.
Old 12-08-22, 07:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I didn’t see the Ultegra in your post. I thought you were saying the 105 was both 1700 and 1200. I was confused.
One was one, and the other was the other.
Old 12-08-22, 08:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

Eye see what you did there
Old 12-08-22, 08:07 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by datlas
Eye see what you did there
This antique, crummy looking thing is one of the actual gizmos that my doc uses. I took the pic on the second or third treatment that I got. He also has a corroded looking measuring divider or compass or whatever it’s called.

Old 12-08-22, 08:39 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
A nurse told me at some point and I went through my journals and confirmed it. Since then I’ve entered the number in my journal. Doc said that I’m much worse since my last injection.
Old 12-08-22, 08:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts

Oh, HELL no!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-08-22, 08:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Did a Zwift race tonight. A short one. This time I held all my matches for the end, and got second. The guy who took first, I think, was DQ'd on Zwiftpower because no HR. So, I guess that means I won.

Speaking of HR, it turns out my MaxHR is something higher than 177. Probably not much over, I gotta say. That's something like 10 bpm higher than I've seen on the road in a couple years.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-08-22, 09:38 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8833 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,734 Posts
Today, after 18 months of BS I have a date for my lumbar fusion surgery (ALIF). February 8, 2023. I hope I get clearance from my cardiologist.

About 3 weeks ago I had 4 A Fib "episodes" where my heart began to race at a high rate. I never had this happen before. All previous A Fib occurrences were mild, benign fluttering events. The ones that happened 3 weeks ago were violent and scary. The first one came on as i was getting ready for work and I was out before I knew what hit me. Luckily my wife was right by me and broke my fall.

After I regained consciousness and got my ***t together, I went downstairs to the kitchen and had another one but managed to stay awake - barely. I then went to the living room and sat on the couch. After about 10 minutes another one hit me and I barely remained conscious. At this point I had my wife take me to work to pick up my laptop and I worked from home all day without incident. After dinner I was in the kitchen when the 4th one happened. I felt it coming on and raced into the living room and sat down on the couch and never came close to fainting. After these episodes we took my blood pressure and it was crazy high.

2 days later I had my previously scheduled 6 month follow up with my cardiologist which of course was anything but routine. I had an EKG which was normal and she doubled my metoprolol dose and changed it from tartrate to succinate and told me not to drive which I had already done. I was fitted with a heart monitor for 30 days which ends on the 17th.

She is concerned I might have fainted because after I ended A Fib I didn't return to normal rhythm quickly enough. If that is the case I may have to get a pacemaker. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for December 29th.

To make matters worse my right knee began to ache and it hurts to walk, bend it or stand. I asked my cardiologist if my recent switch to Atorvastatin could be the cause. She told me to stop taking it for 7 days and let her know what happens.

There's more to the story. My mother in law has a brain tumor and is having surgery tomorrow. The Doctor thinks it's malignant. My wife leaves on Sunday to stay with her.

..sigh..

#LongestPostInRecordedHistory
Old 12-08-22, 10:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Baker looks weird on the Rams.
Wow, whadda drive!!!
Old 12-08-22, 10:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

No thanks.
Old 12-08-22, 10:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Looks like a C&V tyre scraper.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-08-22, 10:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Today, after 18 months of BS I have a date for my lumbar fusion surgery (ALIF). February 8, 2023. I hope I get clearance from my cardiologist.

About 3 weeks ago I had 4 A Fib "episodes" where my heart began to race at a high rate. I never had this happen before. All previous A Fib occurrences were mild, benign fluttering events. The ones that happened 3 weeks ago were violent and scary. The first one came on as i was getting ready for work and I was out before I knew what hit me. Luckily my wife was right by me and broke my fall.

After I regained consciousness and got my ***t together, I went downstairs to the kitchen and had another one but managed to stay awake - barely. I then went to the living room and sat on the couch. After about 10 minutes another one hit me and I barely remained conscious. At this point I had my wife take me to work to pick up my laptop and I worked from home all day without incident. After dinner I was in the kitchen when the 4th one happened. I felt it coming on and raced into the living room and sat down on the couch and never came close to fainting. After these episodes we took my blood pressure and it was crazy high.

2 days later I had my previously scheduled 6 month follow up with my cardiologist which of course was anything but routine. I had an EKG which was normal and she doubled my metoprolol dose and changed it from tartrate to succinate and told me not to drive which I had already done. I was fitted with a heart monitor for 30 days which ends on the 17th.

She is concerned I might have fainted because after I ended A Fib I didn't return to normal rhythm quickly enough. If that is the case I may have to get a pacemaker. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for December 29th.

To make matters worse my right knee began to ache and it hurts to walk, bend it or stand. I asked my cardiologist if my recent switch to Atorvastatin could be the cause. She told me to stop taking it for 7 days and let her know what happens.

There's more to the story. My mother in law has a brain tumor and is having surgery tomorrow. The Doctor thinks it's malignant. My wife leaves on Sunday to stay with her.

..sigh..

Holy COW!!!
Old 12-08-22, 10:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

Damn...when it rains it pours. Good luck with all that..
Old 12-09-22, 12:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

..sigh..

Holy crap, dude!!!

Old 12-09-22, 03:14 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts

..sigh..

Old 12-09-22, 03:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

..sigh..

Old 12-09-22, 05:23 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Easy to forget when you are walking.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Testors Enamel, or nail polish. Apply ASAP before sweating all over it.
even still. Mix water with 20% white vinegar, use a scotchbrite pad to scuba the bare metal. Let it dry. It'll look like it's rusty but it's not don't panic. Rinse with water and dry with a paper towel. Then paint it. The Vinegar water mix will neutralize the rust and clean the metal so the paint will adhere.
Old 12-09-22, 05:29 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Talking about my solo, I have Rolf Echelon aluminum wheels on it. They were on sale for $500 with a Campagnolo hub. They have been reliable for me in spite of my 250 pounds.

They have 25 mm GP5000TL running tubeless. They have reinflated without loosing the bead. I drop the pressure to around 20 PSI when they fly.

Mine is a 60 cm frame. It just barely fits in a Ritchey soft case with the original cloth protectors on the frame. I put the whole Shebang in the case. Including the tools I need to assemble it.

It has a 120 cm stem, 175 cranks, but they are Campagnolo so one bolt and they come off. The bars are Fizik Cyrano Snake 46 cm. Saddle is also a Fizik Snake 140 mm wide. Pedals are Shimano SPD. I use the MTB pedals because I wanted walkable shoes.

The shoes go in the case, along with a couple sets of riding kit, but I carry my helmet.

My memory says there are wheels on the case, but I would have to get it down from the garage attic to be sure. If I sprang for an S&S case it might not get as beat up.

Right on! Mine is a 58 and barely fits. Almost wish they made a slightly bigger bag for the larger frames.

I remember it barely fitting, and it would only go in one way.

I actually thought the S&S cases were even slightly smaller.
Old 12-09-22, 05:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

On the other hand, my work is stressful right now.

J/K
Old 12-09-22, 05:47 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

..sigh..

Hope it’s not malignant and that you are able to get straightened out
Old 12-09-22, 05:57 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Thoughts and prayers go out to you Doug.
Old 12-09-22, 06:04 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Wow, whadda drive!!!
McDaniels is a ****** coach and a bad person. Anyone who paid any attention over the years knew this. I didn't understand the reverence and expectations over the offseason, and once it got bad enough for the talking heads to start to admit that maybe he isn't destined for greatness a few wins magically erased the utter disasters.

Oh well, pass the popcorn.
Old 12-09-22, 06:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Mrs datlas and I were treated to daughter #1's first 4th/5th grade concert last night. This included band (whither Velo Vol ?) AND chorus. We stayed in the back row and kept a low profile, but we were very proud of the performance she led. Plus, the little kids are SO cute!
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.