Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixed/SS question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixed/SS question

Old 05-11-20, 02:45 PM
SB01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fixed/SS question

Hello all,

I did scan the threads before posting this.

I've picked up an old bike set up fixed wheel and never owned one before. Question is - how can I tell if it can be converted to singlespeed?

Rear wheel has cog either side of hub and only one has the pin wrench style lockring. However, neither cogs 'coasts' as it's setup now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-11-20, 03:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Does the side without a lockring have left-hand threads showing beyond the cog?

If yes, you have a fixed-fixed hub. You can get another lockring for it. (Be aware, there are two lockring standards. A few Italian hubs use a larger diameter lockring. Miche does on a lot of their fix gear hubs but not all. I would unscrew your current lockring and very gently start the replacement onto it to check (no tools, fingers only,)

If no, ie the threads you can see are right-hand, then you have the far more common fix-free hub where the no-ring side is intended to have a singlespeed freewheel. The fix gear cog will work without issue going forward but if you ever try to brake, intentionally or no, you might unscrew the cog, leaving you in "neutral" and probably throwing your chain which can lock up the rear wheel. If you are at speed, this may well destroy your tire and will scrape paint, gouge the chainstay and quite likely bend a few chain links. It's also quite exciting.

It is also possible the side without a lockring has damaged threads and can no longer accept one. if so, consider this a compromised hub.

BTDT on all of the above scenarios. Rode Cycle Oregon last summer on a hub with stripped lockring threads on both sides. Had good, working brakes on both wheels and rode up, around and down from the Crater Lake rim without issue. (But next time, it's going to be on a hub that is "right".)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-11-20, 03:22 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
If you have a fixed/free hub (as 79pmooney described) it's better to run a singlespeed freewheel on the free side as it has more threads on it, but you can also put a singlespeed freeweel on a fixed side because, even though it has less threads, you actually never generate more force than you would on a fixed cog and the number of engaged threads is fine.

Make sure you have front and rear brakes with practical brake levers if you're going from fixed to singlespeed.
Old 05-11-20, 03:31 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by SB01
Hello all,

I did scan the threads before posting this.

I've picked up an old bike set up fixed wheel and never owned one before. Question is - how can I tell if it can be converted to singlespeed?

Rear wheel has cog either side of hub and only one has the pin wrench style lockring. However, neither cogs 'coasts' as it's setup now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Usually, a single speed freewheel has a little more meat to it; a cog is a cog. Just to check, you could see if the side without the locking ring 'coasts' 'backwards', in this case, you'd be able to spin it towards the front of the bike. It's possible someone was running a 'suicide' setup, and screwed the cog on a freewheel side. This is less insane if the bike has brakes.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 05-11-20, 03:36 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Illustrations

Freewheel side. No 'neck'.

Fixed side, slightly smaller lockring diameter and 'neck' created.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 05-11-20, 04:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Put front and rear brakes on your bike if you're going to run a freewheel. It's also worth trying out riding fixed for awhile. It's a different experience, but it's not THAT different. It's just a single-speed that doesn't coast.
Old 05-11-20, 04:17 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Fixed gear on the street is a bike that is in the wrong gear 90% of the time, that you can't go around corners fast because of pedal strikes. On the track, they are wonderful but I don't understand the obsession withy fixies other than the hipster cool vibe. Also, they are so 2008.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 05-11-20, 09:42 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Does the non-lockring side have threads for a lockring? Remove it and see what the threads look like.
Old 05-11-20, 09:44 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Fixed gear on the street is a bike that is in the wrong gear 90% of the time, that you can't go around corners fast because of pedal strikes. On the track, they are wonderful but I don't understand the obsession withy fixies other than the hipster cool vibe. Also, they are so 2008.
They're also terrible in a headwind.

The cool kids were doing it since 2003. I'm not cool so 2008 sounds about right 😆
Old 05-11-20, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I got turned onto fix gears for race training, to learn to pedal smoothly and efficiently. I also quickly learned that I got a better workout in limited miles or time. Got to do shorter rides when it was raining, Much better on snow and ice, There are conditions when you can get there on a fix gear and keeping the same bike up with gears and the freewheel is scary at best. And I loved and still do the ability to handle a wide range of torques and RPM. The full body work out of hard climbs. That my arms don't become toothpick-like appendages.

Oh, I learned all of this 30 years before the hipsters. (The '00s were funny here in Portland. I didn't have any of their hip stuff - I rode with two good brakes, fenders, old Japanese road bike with a lock on a bracket but I got some respect from them because they all knew I was riding fixed before they were born.)

My two latest fixed gears were designed and set up to have three very different gears for riding serious hills. One has a very long road dropout that allows me to run any 1/8" cog made (that I've ever heard of anyway) and the other is my old Mooney which I set up with 3 different drive trains for similar mountain gearing. The first I have ridden 5 times in the week long Cycle Oregon. I made the changes for the Mooney to do the 2017 Cycle Oregon with its promised gravel but fires canceled the ride. (Left me with a sweet ride so all was not lost!)

Fix gear on the road is cycling at its purest.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-12-20, 12:16 AM
SB01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I'll check to see if I can add a single speed free wheel to the non-lockring side and if so will get one.

In the meantime I'll ride fixie. I only got the bike yesterday and have never ridden fixed before. It was kinda fun. The bike is only for mucking about with the family - riding locally to the park etc so surely I can't get myself into to much trouble..🤔🤔🤔

If SS is s
Likes For SB01:
Old 05-12-20, 05:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
...Fix gear on the road is cycling at its purest.
^ this is a true and trustworthy statement.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-12-20, 08:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm so 2000-and-late.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-12-20, 12:47 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
My fixed gear commuter isn't a "fixie" and has zero hipster cool vibe. What it does have is lower maintenance and better reliability than any other type of drivetrain. It gets me and my stuff where I need to go, it can do a hilly century in under seven hours (I'm not fast...), and I really enjoy riding it.

Likes For FastJake:
Old 05-12-20, 12:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

The fact that it's in the wrong gear 90% of the time is a training benefit.
Old 05-12-20, 01:32 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Fix gear on the road is cycling at its purest.
Sure, but multispeed is cycling engineering at its finest.

I'm with you. There is a small park near my apartment that a lot of people ride to (casually), and I can't tell you how many "fixies" I see compared to geared bikes. And I put it in quotes, because the vast majority are actually single speeds.

But you have a 750 F1, and not everyone has such discerning taste. I'm just a scrub that actually thinks the 999 series is the best looking of the lot...

Originally Posted by caloso
The fact that it's in the wrong gear 90% of the time is a training benefit.
Right, but you can always ride a multispeed bike in the wrong gear, no? Is trying to decelerate with your legs such a good workout? Doesn't seem like the best idea from a physiological standpoint.

When I see people struggling to get over a bridge here (and not because they want to be struggling, but because they are genuinely having a hard time maintaining momentum), I usually say something along the lines of "that's why god invented gears," as I go past...

Last edited by robertorolfo; 05-12-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 01:38 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Sure, but multispeed is cycling engineering at it's finest.

I'm with you. There is a small park near my apartment that a lot of people ride to (casually), and I can't tell you how many "fixies" I see compared to geared bikes. And I put it in quotes, because the vast majority are actually single speeds.

But you have a 750 F1, and not everyone has such discerning taste. I'm just a scrub that actually thinks the 999 series is the best looking of the lot...

Right, but you can always ride a multispeed bike in the wrong gear, no? Is trying to decelerate with your legs such a good workout? Doesn't seem like the best idea from a physiological standpoint.

When I see people struggling to get over a bridge here (and not because they want to be struggling, but because they are genuinely having a hard time maintaining momentum), I usually say something along the lines of "that's why god invented gears," as I go past...
Sure. I do this all the time. I have a five minute hill where I'll alternate big and little rings. My point with the fixed gear is that it's something you deal with all the time and it becomes second nature to spin up to match a surge or to muscle over a short, steep roller. Broadening your power band. And you get used to keeping your pedals turning over even when you're soft-pedaling.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-12-20, 01:58 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...Right, but you can always ride a multispeed bike in the wrong gear, no? Is trying to decelerate with your legs such a good workout? Doesn't seem like the best idea from a physiological standpoint....
Any geared bike that permits coasting... well, allows distracted riding that involves periodic coasting. Fixed doesn't allow that, and you have to concentrate more at certain times. Coasting geared bikes also make "clicky" sounds. And yes, modulating speed and power using only one's legs is part of the wonder of it.
Old 05-12-20, 02:20 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Any geared bike that permits coasting... well, allows distracted riding that involves periodic coasting. Fixed doesn't allow that, and you have to concentrate more at certain times. Coasting geared bikes also make "clicky" sounds. And yes, modulating speed and power using only one's legs is part of the wonder of it.
I get the concept. I mean, I'm one of those people that knows (yes, knows) that driving stick is more enjoyable, involving and "pure" than driving an automatic. And I get that you are more directly connected to the road...

But the thought of using my legs to decelerate sounds a little unnatural and uncomfortable (as in, you are stressing joints in directions they normally aren't stressed in). Plus, my point what that the rear-derailleur is the hallmark of bicycle technology, and so one could argue that a pure bicycling experience should involve using one. Maybe the absolute purest is friction shifting?
Old 05-12-20, 02:27 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

I get the concept. I mean, I'm one of those people that knows (yes, knows) that driving stick is more enjoyable, involving and "pure" than driving an automatic. And I get that you are more directly connected to the road...

But the thought of using my legs to decelerate sounds a little unnatural and uncomfortable (as in, you are stressing joints in directions they normally aren't stressed in). Plus, my point what that the rear-derailleur is the hallmark of bicycle technology, and so one could argue that a pure bicycling experience should involve using one. Maybe the absolute purest is friction shifting?
I don't decelerate with my legs. I use my front brake.

If you know that driving stick is more enjoyable (I refuse to own an automatic) then fixed gear shouldn't be too much of a leap. You just need to ride one for a while. Saying that one thing is better than another thing when you only have experience with one of them is flawed. I appreciate both my fixed gear and geared bikes. And my single speed MTB is a lot of fun on singletrack!
Likes For FastJake:
Old 05-12-20, 02:46 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Sure, but multispeed is cycling engineering at its finest.

Thank you for the compliment. I bought the 750 F1 because I wanted to race and in CCS it was very competitive. I learned quickly that I wasn't, I crashed and was not fast. Then I got hit head on by an suv on the street and gave up motorcycles. Its actually a very rare Ducati, I sold it and the guy that bought it restored it beautifully. He was asking 12k for it. Unrestored low mileage 750 F1 command $20k+. But yes, the 999 series are very pretty. Or maybe the 916?

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-12-20, 03:06 PM
SB01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not allowed to add pictures because I'm new here.

Based on what's written above I think the bike has two fixed cogs. One cog has pin wrench style locking against it but the other side has a large octagonal locking - which was on the drive side when I got the bike.

Is that a standard fixie thing?

Last edited by SB01; 05-12-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 03:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
But the thought of using my legs to decelerate sounds a little unnatural and uncomfortable (as in, you are stressing joints in directions they normally aren't stressed in).
Same thing happens when you run downhill. It's not unnatural, in fact I think running and fixed-gear have a lot in common.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-12-20, 03:15 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

I'm not allowed to add pictures because I'm new here.

Based on what's written above I think the bike has two fixed cogs. One cog has pin wrench style locking against it but the other side has a large octagonal locking - which was on the drive side when I got the bike.

Is that a standard fixie thing?
I can't recall seeing anything like that. But if you have a cog and lockring on each side you have a fixed/fixed hub. You can still remove one or both and replace with a freewheel.
Old 05-12-20, 03:32 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

See ye olde threade here about BB lock rings used as jam nuts on a freewheel hub. If you have the tools, you can get the wheel out, take off the lock rings, and all should be clear. It looks like the consensus is that you have two fixed cogs, but the octagonal 'lock ring' sounds like it could be a BB lock ring being used as a jam nut. If that's the case, you have a fixed/free hub, but it's running fixed/fixed.

You can upload photos to your gallery, and one of us can copy and paste them in, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.