Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Making replacement hoods for Ultegra 6510

Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Old 10-06-21, 01:04 PM
tedmeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm working on restoring an old Nishiki frame with an Ultegra 6510 groupset. The hoods are breaking down a bit, but still in semi-decent condition. I looked around a ton of places, even made calls to local shops, everybody says I'm SOL aside from maybe eBay. I have this idea to touch up the hoods that I have, and make a reproduction using silicone.

Not sure this is the right forum, but I was wondering if anybody could recommend a material to cast the reproductions. From the research I've done I'd be using a softer silicone (Shore A10 probably) to make a two part mold. I'll need a liquid release to keep the sides separate, as well as for casting silicone in silicone. I'm having trouble choosing the final material for the hoods. Since I'm ordering all this online, I haven't been able to actually feel versions of the product, so I'm kinda guessing based on how the molds look when people make them on YouTube. Most everything I see about silicone is about molding, not actually about how it holds up to everyday wear-and-tear. From what I can tell maybe a Shore A25-30 silicone would be the right hardness, which is between a rubber band and a pencil eraser for reference.

Does anybody have recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-21, 09:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ria-hoods.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pain-rear.html
Old 08-29-22, 10:32 PM
mjj1015

Bikes: ‘84 Miyata 710, ‘82 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
How did this turn out?

Originally Posted by tedmeat
I'm working on restoring an old Nishiki frame with an Ultegra 6510 groupset. The hoods are breaking down a bit, but still in semi-decent condition. I looked around a ton of places, even made calls to local shops, everybody says I'm SOL aside from maybe eBay. I have this idea to touch up the hoods that I have, and make a reproduction using silicone.

Not sure this is the right forum, but I was wondering if anybody could recommend a material to cast the reproductions. From the research I've done I'd be using a softer silicone (Shore A10 probably) to make a two part mold. I'll need a liquid release to keep the sides separate, as well as for casting silicone in silicone. I'm having trouble choosing the final material for the hoods. Since I'm ordering all this online, I haven't been able to actually feel versions of the product, so I'm kinda guessing based on how the molds look when people make them on YouTube. Most everything I see about silicone is about molding, not actually about how it holds up to everyday wear-and-tear. From what I can tell maybe a Shore A25-30 silicone would be the right hardness, which is between a rubber band and a pencil eraser for reference.

Does anybody have recommendations?

Thanks!