Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Marinoni '96 restomod

Old 01-18-22, 10:35 PM
ntvu02

Bikes: Giant Contend AR4, Marinoni Special '96, Nishiki International '83, Panasonic DX4000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Marinoni '96 restomod

While in Montreal for the holidays visiting the family, I got the chance to get my hands on a beautiful custom built Marinoni '96. Once purchased, I contacted Marinoni, who confirmed the serial # and year of production, and even sent me a scanned copy of the original invoice (with names and prices blurred out)!

I'm thinking of fully equipping the bike with new campy parts and H+Son Archetype polished silver wheels. For now, I've settled on Campagnolo Centaur 11sp in silver (can't bring myself to install black parts on a steel frame!), except for the crank, which will be Centaur 10sp (2006-2007?). Pictures of the bike before resto-mod attached (looks great as is imho),

Old 01-20-22, 08:52 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Nice find. Great looking bike!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-25-22, 02:46 AM
gioech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
really good good looking, lucky you!
Likes For gioech:
Old 01-25-22, 03:43 AM
akbejeepin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike.
Old 01-25-22, 03:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Can't see the condition, but the Shimano 600 brifters sell pretty fast on ebay, especially if they have the hoods.

That is truly a beautiful bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-23, 03:57 PM
07morrison

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Beauty. Miss my 99 touring model
Old 01-31-24, 11:33 AM
seanmccoye

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The last Marinoni I saw:

Me: Rocking 1.95 tires schlepping 4 bags doing mixed terrain in the SW.

Him: 70+ with a supported group using a BLACK crank with all other parts silver.

I gave him soo much **** as he passed me. The next morning at the coffee shop sheepishly says "I need to get a different crank"
Old 02-03-24, 11:10 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ntvu02
While in Montreal for the holidays visiting the family, I got the chance to get my hands on a beautiful custom built Marinoni '96. Once purchased, I contacted Marinoni, who confirmed the serial # and year of production, and even sent me a scanned copy of the original invoice (with names and prices blurred out)!

I'm thinking of fully equipping the bike with new campy parts and H+Son Archetype polished silver wheels. For now, I've settled on Campagnolo Centaur 11sp in silver (can't bring myself to install black parts on a steel frame!), except for the crank, which will be Centaur 10sp (2006-2007?). Pictures of the bike before resto-mod attached (looks great as is imho),

Beautiful bike. It will make a retro-mod. I’m a big fan of taking these old frames and bringing them into the current world with the addition of a nice modern group. My favorite has to be the 11-speed Campy Athena. I build up my Zullo and Pinarello Montello based on this group for the most part although I went with a Centaur 11-speed crankset for the Zullo as I didn’t have the right bottom bracket cups for it. I have thought it was an Ultra Torque but was Power Torque and I couldn’t source one quick enough so I installed the Ultra Torque Centaur crankset instead. They basically look the same and in fact, I’ll be using it on a Picchio Special I will be building up in April. For my Pinarello I went with an 11-speed CX, also Power Torque. The only thing that I would recommend that you do differently is find an 11-speed Athena brake set instead of the Centaur. I bought a set of the Centaur and they look cheap compared to the Athena.

On my Picchio, I will be going with an 11-speed Athena group except for the controllers and rear derailleur which will be 11-speed Super Record.
Likes For BMC_Kid: