Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

BPH laser procedure

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

BPH laser procedure

Old 04-13-22, 09:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
BPH laser procedure

I’m 61, and in mid-May I’m having minimally invasive laser prostate reduction procedure for BPH. I informed my urologist who’ll be performing the procedure that I’m a regular cyclist, and swimmer (and sometimes runner) and he’s instructed me that I’ll need to refrain from any of these strenuous activities for at least a month post-op. So it’s not just a matter of the pressure to the area as a result of being on a traditional road bike seat. But…no problem with that…I’ll comply. I’m just wondering if there might be other (men) in the 50+ forum who’ve had the same procedure, and if a month is realistic, or if I’ll need longer.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384874

Dan
Old 04-13-22, 10:31 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’m 61, and in mid-May I’m having minimally invasive laser prostate reduction procedure for BPH. I informed my urologist who’ll be performing the procedure that I’m a regular cyclist, and swimmer (and sometimes runner) and he’s instructed me that I’ll need to refrain from any of these strenuous activities for at least a month post-op. So it’s not just a matter of the pressure to the area as a result of being on a traditional road bike seat. But…no problem with that…I’ll comply. I’m just wondering if there might be other (men) in the 50+ forum who’ve had the same procedure, and if a month is realistic, or if I’ll need longer.

Dan
I had what I assume this is Green Light Laser Surgery 4 years ago at age 56. I have BPH and was not really able to urinate very well and empty and bladder. I was going to the bathroom at least 15 times a day and only getting rid of a little urine. My PSA was around 4.8 which is high but enlarged prostate does produce more PSA. I was off the bike about 3-4 weeks but I could run and walk after about 3-4 days. It was a success one of the best things I ever did. Now I can go normal and instead of stopping to pee 3-4 times in a 50 mile ride I now can go a whole ride and not urinate. I did have one complication during surgery that is unusual they nicked me bring scope out and I was bleeding a bit. Had to go back under right away and get that repaired. It was a ok in the end and I had to spend extra day in hospital but able to go home without a catheter.

Now my PSA has been running around 2.5 since then the lowest it has been in 15 years. I also had 3 biopsy's that were negative over the years starting in 2007. I would say if this is green light laser surgery you will like the results. I think they took a lot of my prostate material in the middle as surgeon did not want to have to redo it in a few years. I am ok no continence issues that can come up but rare. Everything else works as normal but these days I live a life of vowed celibacy so take that for what it is worth.
Old 04-13-22, 10:50 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
All good news deacon mark!!!

My surgeon at MD Anderson flatly stated... For full recovery you are looking a 3 months no matter the type procedure. Now the literature states differences but my surgeon is a rider so I believe him.

Facing a future prostectomy I have been ferreting out much information from professionals and those having had procedures and all in all it is about three months recovery time. I would advise you as others have advised me, and that is, don't let recovery time influence the delay of a recommended procedure if you are chasing cancer. OK... Just a rant...
Old 04-13-22, 12:36 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

This is good info guys. Thanks. For me…there’s no cancer involved…none that’s been detected anyway. Just classic BPH. My PSA going back several years has always been right at 2 +/- a fraction. I have a friend approximate same age who had the laser procedure done last fall, by the same urologist. He doesn’t ride, or exercise much really. But he suggested that “Yeah…you’ll need all of a month if not more.” He is a mechanic and does have to life heavy objects in his job and he said he definitely needed the month. The main reason for my inquiry is because my older brother wants me to ride RAGBRAI with him this July. I think I’m going to have to decline on that. My procedure will be May 16. Just ONE month post-op takes me to June 16…and the RAGBRAI starts July 23. I just don’t think that a month is enough to get back into shape after spending 4-5 week OFF the bike. I guess we’ll shoot for RAGBRAI 2023.

Dan
Old 04-13-22, 03:56 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Well Dan... It's just time needed for complete healing and scar formation of the tissues themselves. For example a superficial laceration that takes a few stitches can have the stitches removes in 7-10 days. But at a microscopic level the tissues are not healed for at least several weeks. Same way inside. Why push it? 90 days is not that long...

All Hail RAGBRAI 2023!!!
Old 04-13-22, 04:42 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I had my procedure on May 2, and did a ride according to Strava of 10 miles about 2 weeks later. Then on May 23rd did a 40 mile ride. and a 44 mile ride on the 28th. Not too long out but I remember lots of blood in urine and I had to stop again. I was back to riding pretty good by July.
Old 04-13-22, 07:25 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I'm just curious if you've been on any medications to reduce the size of the prostate? While as far as surgeries go, this is pretty minor, but we always like surgery to be a last resort. There are several medications, including Propecia, that can actually relieve symptoms of BPH.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-14-22, 04:27 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Dan
GOOD LUCK and following Doctor's instructions is advisable since as Dr. George Sheehan said knowing that what works for one might not work for another ---

“We are each an experiment of one.
A unique, never-to-be repeated event.”

Originally Posted by zandoval
All good news deacon mark!!!

My surgeon at MD Anderson flatly stated... For full recovery you are looking a 3 months no matter the type procedure. Now the literature states differences but my surgeon is a rider so I believe him.

Facing a future prostectomy I have been ferreting out much information from professionals and those having had procedures and all in all it is about three months recovery time. I would advise you as others have advised me, and that is, don't let recovery time influence the delay of a recommended procedure if you are chasing cancer. OK... Just a rant...
r.e. my bolding Since you mentioned "FUTURE" I am hoping you have investigated **ALL TREATMENTS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE** compared to even last year for dealing with prostate issues. Many breakthrough protocols with diagnosis and treatment that have reduced the severe damage that can occur with prostate removal.

Just had my 7 year anniversary of PCa diagnosis (Prostate Cancer) of Gleason 10, no higher (aggressive) pathology Gleason Score possible and did not have a Prostatectomy. 100 mile FULL MOON bike ride planned for Saturday.

Good LUCK and ride on.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-14-22, 09:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

The only medication for BPH that I’ve been on is Tamsulosin/Flomax…which treats the symptoms and isn’t necessarily for reducing the size of the prostate. I’ve been on it for several years. Before that, I had tried some of the OTC things with no noticed improvement. When I read about this laser procedure…it was new to my area…I got a referral to the urologist performing it from my PCP. I discussed with the urologist the various treatments and procedures available. We agreed this was the best option for me. I also have a friend (who had identical symptoms) who had the same procedure done by the same doctor and is 100% satisfied. I’m not really worried about the procedure. I was just wondering about the timeframe for getting back on the bike. The doc said “at least a month”…but has others have indicated here…I’ll likely need more than that.

Dan
Old 04-14-22, 12:47 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
Moved from 50+ to Pills and Ills.
Old 04-14-22, 04:58 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Hermes
Moved from 50+ to Pills and Ills.
Thanks. At least I got a few good responses from the readers I was targeting before it was moved into a hidden sub-forum that hardly gets any traffic…and is part of the 50+ forum anyway.

Dan
Old 04-16-22, 12:32 AM
VegasJen

Please keep us posted on your results. I am especially interested so I at least have second hand experience to reference when I deal with patients that are considering this option.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-21-22, 11:12 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I had an old fashion TURP procedure on a Monday, I was speedskating (slowly) the next Sunday evening. But due to weather, it was awhile before I was biking.
Old 05-16-22, 03:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Please keep us posted on your results. I am especially interested so I at least have second hand experience to reference when I deal with patients that are considering this option.

So I had the procedure (prostate thulium laser enucleation) this morning 5/16/2022 (was originally scheduled for 4/4/2022 but I tested positive for COVID on 4/1/2022 so they make you wait at least six weeks). Before sending me home after the procedure, the doctor said everything went normally and we should have good results. The only issue I have is that I was sent home with a Foley catheter, which is the normal practice. But beside just being uncomfortable, the balloon on the insertion end causes a constant feeling of having to urinate badly. They said that’s normal. I mean I don’t know that I’ll be able to sleep tonight with that sensation. But it won’t be long. And, there is blood in the urine, but that too is normal. Fortunately, I go into see the doctor for the first follow-up tomorrow morning and he is confident that the catheter should be able to be removed at that time. Also…I was hoping to finally be finished with the daily Flomax/Tamsulosin. But, he said he wants me to keep taking it for a couple more weeks. We’ll see how the BPH symptoms are minimized in the coming days and I’ll let you know.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-16-22 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-16-22, 05:40 PM
VegasJen

So I had the procedure (prostate thulium laser enucleation) this morning 5/16/2022 (was originally scheduled for 4/4/2022 but I tested positive for COVID on 4/1/2022 so they make you wait at least six weeks). Before sending me home after the procedure, the doctor said everything went normally and we should have good results. The only issue I have is that I was sent home with a Foley catheter, which is the normal practice. But beside just being uncomfortable, the balloon on the insertion end causes a constant feeling of having to urinate badly. They said that’s normal. I mean I don’t know that I’ll be able to sleep tonight with that sensation. But it won’t be long. And, there is blood in the urine, but that too is normal. Fortunately, I go into see the doctor for the first follow-up tomorrow morning and he is confident that the catheter should be able to be removed at that time. Also…I was hoping to finally be finished with the daily Flomax/Tamsulosin. But, he said he wants me to keep taking it for a couple more weeks. We’ll see how the BPH symptoms are minimized in the coming days and I’ll let you know.

Dan
Thanks for the update. Please do keep us posted. This is good information for me in the event I run into patients preparing for, or having undergone this procedure.

I am a bit surprised about the full bladder sensation. I thought the catheter only got 30-50mL of fluid to retain it in the bladder. I wouldn't think that would be enough to stimulate that nerve. I wonder if it's just a reflex sensation. Were you instructed to alter your fluid intake at all? And I assume you're getting consistent drainage from the catheter, correct?
Old 05-16-22, 07:00 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I am a bit surprised about the full bladder sensation. I thought the catheter only got 30-50mL of fluid to retain it in the bladder. I wouldn't think that would be enough to stimulate that nerve. I wonder if it's just a reflex sensation. Were you instructed to alter your fluid intake at all? And I assume you're getting consistent drainage from the catheter, correct?
The sensation isn’t from fluid, but from the actual apparatus in there. He said the “balloon” (his word) on the end of the tube…which as I understand is to keep the apparatus inserted…is causing a bit of pressure and that is causing the full bladder sensation. I wasn’t given any directive about altering fluid intake. Obviously I had an IV bag (or two)…I’ve been home from the hospital about 8-9 hours and I’ve emptied the small leg bag a couple of times already. It’s pretty constant, slow but steady drainage. Bloody…like the color of a dark beer. But again that’s normal they said. Only concern would be if I get solid/coagulated clumps in there (or pussie discharge). I have an office appointment in the morning and he’ll likely remove it at that time.

Dan
Old 05-16-22, 07:13 PM
VegasJen

Ya, that's where I was going with the 30-50mL. That's approximately the volume they use to inflate the balloon on a Foley. I'm still learning and urology isn't my strong point, but I wouldn't think that would stimulate the nerve response. Maybe that's normal? I don't know. And you should have constant drainage from the Foley but I don't know about the color of dark beer. Again, urology is not my strong point.

Hope you have a good outcome. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-17-22, 07:43 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Just got back from my first follow-up with the urologist doc (7/17/22, 08:15). Catheter removed and everything with regard to fluid color, and discharge is normal. Before they took the catheter out, they injected some saline into the bladder, which I was able to void myself after the catheter was removed. There is some blood/discoloration, and just a bit of discomfort, but he said that’s normal and should only last a couple days. He prescribed Phenazopyridine 200mg 3x daily for urination discomfort. Now begins the countdown to when I can get back on the bike. “About a month off from strenuous exercise” he’d told me at pre-op. Next follow-up is six weeks.

Dan
Old 05-17-22, 11:33 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I had the green light laser TURP to try to remedy prostatitis. I recovered from the surgery in a couple of weeks, and probably would have started riding after 3-4 weeks, but I had a relapse of the bacterial prostatitis, and that kept me off the bike anyway.

From what I have heard, recovery is pretty rapid.

Old 05-24-22, 04:09 PM
Timdugan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was diagnosed with Gleason 10 PCa in January of 2020 at age 58. I did my homework and interviewed Oncologists and Surgeons to weigh my options, and ultimately decided on radical robotic prostatectomy, hoping for a nerve-sparing surgery. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes, so this was the best course of treatment for me. I had several setbacks after surgery, but still got on the trainer six weeks after surgery. In fact the healing power of the bike greatly improved not only my physical healing but also my mental state.
Old 05-25-22, 08:50 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

5/25/2022 — I am nine days post-op from the procedure I posted in my OP above. So far everything is going well. The Foley catheter was removed the day after the procedure. My urine was bloody for the next three or four days (the color of a dark/amber beer). That’s normal. It’s back to normal color now. And, there’s been some discomfort, and apprehension with urinating. That dissipates with each urination. Also during those first few post-op days, the need to urinate BADLY can sometime come on at the drop of a hat. Need to keep that in mind if you’re out and about. Everything I’m reading says that everything I’m experiencing is normal. But, that a return to “normal” pre-BPH urinating (stream/volume) could actually take months. One of the odd sensations I’m having is that when I do urinate…as the stream begins to subside, and my bladder is about empty, I suddenly feel as if I have to go really bad. But the feeling goes away after several seconds. Regarding strenuous exercise…I sure am missing that. But I adhere to the warning that the physical stress induced by the exercise can cause the not-yet-fully-healed prostate to start bleeding again. My wife is trying to convince me to go to the pool and at least swim some really easy laps. I might do it as I can’t see that being anymore strenuous than walking. However, I will hold off on getting back on the bike. Seems like the physical pressure of being on a bike seat just wouldn’t contribute to the healing process down there.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-25-22, 10:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Timdugan
I was diagnosed with Gleason 10 PCa in January of 2020 at age 58. I did my homework and interviewed Oncologists and Surgeons to weigh my options, and ultimately decided on radical robotic prostatectomy, hoping for a nerve-sparing surgery. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes, so this was the best course of treatment for me. I had several setbacks after surgery, but still got on the trainer six weeks after surgery. In fact the healing power of the bike greatly improved not only my physical healing but also my mental state.
Saddened to read about you becoming a new member of the exclusive GL10 CLUB. My entry was in 2015 and I went with a never been done treatment protocol.

GOOD LUCK
Old 05-25-22, 10:08 AM
OldTryGuy

5/25/2022 — I am nine days post-op from the procedure ...............Dan
EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH YOUR POSTING THE UPDATE. GO SWIMMING !!!!

Old 05-30-22, 06:39 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I had my procedure on May 2, and did a ride according to Strava of 10 miles about 2 weeks later. Then on May 23rd did a 40 mile ride. and a 44 mile ride on the 28th. Not too long out but I remember lots of blood in urine and I had to stop again. I was back to riding pretty good by July.

Another series of "mine is bigger posts"?

gm
Old 05-31-22, 02:28 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I’m 15 days post-op today (5/31/2022). As much as I want to get on the bike…I’m keeping myself from doing it. I feel fine, but I just don’t want to have a setback…which I’m very capable of based on past surgical post-ops for other ailments.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.