Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

PAINFUL upper leg cramp!.....

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 05-26-22, 01:12 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts

Some friends were going on an 18 mile bike ride Tuesday (paved paths). Knowing it was an easier ride-paved, only small hills, I decided to break out the old mountain bike just for the heck of it. And it's heavier than the road bike so figured it would give me more of a workout. Got thru the ride fine, felt good to have the mtn bike out again. But that night, while watching TV, fell asleep on the sofa and woke up literally screaming in pain from the worst leg cramp I've ever experienced! Above the knee, and from Google'ing it, looks like it might have been the quadricep muscle. I managed to get to my feet, though it was difficult to stand, and walked it off. Two days later, still sore but manageable. Stayed hydrated on the ride, with Gatorade, and I'm in very good shape (at the gym at least 3x a week). I'm a "young" 71 in excellent health trying to figure why. Only thing I come up with is the different position of the mtn bike (which seldom is used now) vs the road bike had me using a different set of muscles,or using them in a different way. Any thoughts?

Last edited by freeranger; 05-26-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 01:17 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
agree-diff. set of muscles.same happened to me,72 yo, when I rode my B bike with a lower seat.no issues when I switched back to A bike,taller frame with less leg bend when riding.try raising the seat.
Old 05-26-22, 03:01 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
You might be in great shape, but those muscles weren’t conditioned for that activity. Sounds like the morning after the first day of cross-country season.
Likes For billridesbikes: