Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

OT: Cataract Lens

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 07:40 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I'm scheduled for the Tuesday following Labor Day for the first eye (right) and two weeks later for the second. I changed my choice when I found out that simple correction is free but just correcting for astigmatism is $5,530 (both eyes) and IOL lenses that will correct for near and far plus the astigmatism is $6,300. The difference was too small to just go for astigmatic correction. What floored me was the three eye drop medications. Two were $30 copays but the third one which is only a 3ml container was $147 copay. That's the most I ever paid for a single medication - lucky in that respect I guess. Sure hope it lasts for both eyes.

Surgery was simple and painless. I had no aftereffects except for the eye being dilated well into the following day. That meant needing sunglasses to go outside during the day. The rings around light sources like the streetlight in front of my house were pretty strong until the eye returned to normal following dilation. I am reading posts here with my next-to-newest glasses with the one lens popped out. Removed the right lens, Vision in the right eye is not yet 20/20 but the doc said that would take a week or two. I can drive safely two days after surgery. Just haven't figured out what to do when I go food shopping today - wear the glasses with one lens and look like a dork or put back on my last set of glasses with the corrective lens still in it.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-10-22 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add followup
Old 09-19-22, 04:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Just had my fitting appointment today, and I brought this idea up. She said one lens in a pair of glasses is not likely to work well - she suggested one contact lens in non-surgical eye that corrects about 50% is a better idea to mate with the new cataract lens. So I'll be looking into disposable contacts.
It was far from perfect, but better than having one eye (the one with the IOL) near-normal and the other eye with essentially artificial extreme far-sightedness, and weird spatial distortions.
Old 09-19-22, 04:57 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Just had my fitting appointment today, and I brought this idea up. She said one lens in a pair of glasses is not likely to work well - she suggested one contact lens in non-surgical eye that corrects about 50% is a better idea to mate with the new cataract lens. So I'll be looking into disposable contacts.
It was far from perfect, but better than having one eye (the one with the IOL) near-normal and the other eye with essentially artificial extreme far-sightedness, and weird spatial distortions.
Old 09-19-22, 01:06 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yeah, I ignored her advice and took the lens out of the right side of my glasses, so I've had a corrective external lens in the left, and a Vivity IOL implant in my right eyeball for 6 weeks now - it works OK, depth perception is one area where it is wonky. I've been able to do pretty good cycling with uncorrected sunglasses.

Just made my appointment for the left eye - Nov 4. He said there's a lot more astigmatism in that eye but the same lens type should still be a good match.
Old 09-19-22, 06:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The optometrist is wrong. There is no way I could stand to have a single contact lens in my uncorrected eye as I never used contacts in the past. My two appointments are two weeks apart with the second eye being operated on tomorrow. I am sitting here with a lens in the left eyeglass and none in the right. When I go out in the daytime it is with the half lens glasses under a set of sunglasses provided by the ophthalmologist who did the surgery. If I go inside a store or similar place I take off both the glasses and sunglasses. The vision in the repaired eye is now 20/20 far and 20/25 close. I don't wear the one lens glasses when I am out except for driving a car because it looks pretty dorky. I'm looking forward to dumping the glasses for the first time since I was a little kid. The only downside is not having any eye protection unless I wear some sort of glasses when riding a bike. Depth perception with one eye repaired is unaffected.