Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 03:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was just thinking about "immersive waxing" (and my total reluctance to step into a hot tube of wax to remove my body hair) ...
Yes (as noted earlier) this thread should have been titled "immersion waxing." That said, perhaps you meant "hot tub[]" instead of "hot tube"?
Old 12-08-22, 03:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Yes, my mistake, But once we dip that bike, we're talking hot tubes.
Old 12-08-22, 06:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I wonder if anyone who doesn't currently use immersive waxing has come away from this thread thinking: wow, it sounds so much easier and better, I'm going to get right on it!

That said, I have read most of the thread and find it interesting, but not compelling.
Old 12-08-22, 11:41 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Ah well it does not have to be for everyone, the bike industry needs the oilgrouches, lest the drivetrain parts pile up high in the warehouses!

Imagine everyone had pristine low friction chains like this every single time by just dipping into a pot

Last edited by yaw; 12-08-22 at 11:47 PM.
Likes For yaw:
Old 12-09-22, 10:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Ah well it does not have to be for everyone, the bike industry needs the oilgrouches ...
Personally, I'm really glad the oil grouches aren't constantly preaching their gospel like wax zealots. "I'm just not interested" is a lot easier to take than long wax sermons.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-22, 10:28 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Personally, I'm really glad the oil grouches aren't constantly preaching their gospel like wax zealots. "I'm just not interested" is a lot easier to take than long wax sermons.
Just don't go the church. When you see a church thread, just breath deep and say, "I'm just not interested" and move on or over to PL with the other retrogrouches fondling their tubies.
Old 12-09-22, 10:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
What about this church?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...-238657641614/

https://www.instagram.com/thecotbr/?hl=en
Old 12-09-22, 10:35 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Just don't go the church. When you see a church thread, just breath deep and say, "I'm just not interested" and move on or over to PL with the other retrogrouches fondling their tubies.
The problem is that they often set up their soap boxes on the sidewalk, and you can't avoid them.
Old 12-09-22, 08:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
its probably time this thread be a waning.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-09-22, 08:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

But the oil grouches debate each other regarding which lube is the "best".
Old 12-10-22, 12:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The longer this thread goes, the more apparent it becomes why chain waxing isn't more popular.
I just bought a pair of skin skis though. 👍
Old 12-10-22, 03:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Ah well it does not have to be for everyone, the bike industry needs the oilgrouches, lest the drivetrain parts pile up high in the warehouses!

Imagine everyone had pristine low friction chains like this every single time by just dipping into a pot
Please.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-10-22, 07:11 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
its probably time this thread be a waning.
Every thread waxes & wanes in it's own time.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-10-22, 07:17 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
It amazes me how much time some riders spend with their chains when they could be out riding their bikes.

Take off the chain and dip it in hot wax? Really?? My chains don't come off my bikes until it's time to replace them - what a waste of time!! I lube every 500 miles with a 50% motor oil / 50% mineral spirits homebrew and I got over 6,000 miles out of my last chain.

I just dropped by for some entertainment.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-10-22 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 08:53 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
It amazes me how much time some riders spend with their chains when they could be out riding their bikes.

Take off the chain and dip it in hot wax? Really?? My chains don't come off my bikes until it's time to replace them - what a waste of time!! I lube every 500 miles with a 50% motor oil / 50% mineral spirits homebrew and I got over 6,000 miles out of my last chain.

I just dropped by for some entertainment.

Used motor oil right?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-11-22, 09:52 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Shadco
Used motor oil right?
No. Would never use used motor oil for anything as it's carcinogenic. Always new.

For anyone who is inclined to save $$ by using used motor oil, look at it this way. A quart of synthetic motor oil costs about the same as 4 oz. of you favorite "miracle" chain lube.
Old 12-11-22, 10:02 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Shadco
Used motor oil right?
Where does one buy used motor oil? eBay?
Old 12-11-22, 10:12 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Where does one buy used motor oil? eBay?
I'm sure your local mechanics have some they would be more than happy to give away.
Old 12-11-22, 06:21 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Lombard even if your chain lasted 60,000 imperial distance units I would not want a stinky sticky mix of motor oil and mineral spirits anywhere near anything.

The other day I assisted an oil-based bike newbie friend (although any waxer knows that such individuals can hardly be considered friends) with his dropped chain, and despite using a stick and a leaf to handle the chain, that crap still got all over my precious fingers. Disgusting. Deplorable.

Take off the chain and dip it in hot wax? Really?? My chains don't come off my bikes until it's time to replace them - what a waste of time!!
That's what quick links are made for. They are... quick.
Old 12-11-22, 06:42 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
Lombard even if your chain lasted 60,000 imperial distance units I would not want a stinky sticky mix of motor oil and mineral spirits anywhere near anything.

The other day I assisted an oil-based bike newbie friend (although any waxer knows that such individuals can hardly be considered friends) with his dropped chain, and despite using a stick and a leaf to handle the chain, that crap still got all over my precious fingers. Disgusting. Deplorable.

That's what quick links are made for. They are... quick.
This is ridiculous. Wax lubes can be just as messy as oil-based lubes. The big difference is that oil is better at lubricating a chain than wax - yes, even hot wax. Used correctly, riders get over 10K miles out of their oil based lubed chains. Do you get over 10K miles out of your hot waxed chains?

The key to having any lube be less messy is to wipe the chain thoroughly after lubing, then wipe it again after the first post-lube ride. Mess will be minimal.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-11-22 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 07:16 PM
yaw
should be more popular

This is ridiculous.
This is about hot melt wax that sets dry like a candle when cooled, not drip on wax that sets to a goo that comes in bottles with carrier liquid and needs to be wiped.

Independent tests have shown that a hot wax coating is lower friction than oil-based lubes and extends drivetrain longevity.

You came for popcorn entertainment but if you look closer you may learn a thing?

It's like a well crafted movie.

Enjoy!
Old 12-11-22, 07:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
This is about hot melt wax that sets dry like a candle when cooled, not drip on wax that sets to a goo that comes in bottles with carrier liquid and needs to be wiped.

Independent tests have shown that a hot wax coating is lower friction than oil-based lubes and extends drivetrain longevity.

You came for popcorn entertainment but if you look closer you may learn a thing?

It's like a well crafted movie.

Enjoy!
You drank the Kool-Aid, that is noted. So tell me, "independent tests" aside, how many miles do YOU get out of your chains?
Old 12-11-22, 07:41 PM
yaw
should be more popular

You drank the Kool-Aid, that is noted. So tell me, "independent tests" aside, how many miles do YOU get out of your chains?
I have only been waxing for around 12,000km of riding and rotate 2-3 chains on my bike and 1-2 on my lady's bike, so it will take a good while longer before I can toss any of them out and tell you. Before that I used Squirt drip lube and only got around 2,500-3,500 out of a DuraAce chain, if memory serves me well, before my more conservative chain wear indicator said 0.5, hence why I looked for something better.

I don't think we should set independent tests under controlled conditions aside. Objective comparative data is good. Biased subjective data under wildly varying conditions is only good for banter. Even if you get the stellar results you claim based on an accurate chain wear indicator (they vary a lot), testing suggests you could do in excess of 50% better still:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

What now?
Likes For yaw:
Old 12-11-22, 08:26 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
I have only been waxing for around 12,000km of riding and rotate 2-3 chains on my bike and 1-2 on my lady's bike, so it will take a good while longer before I can toss any of them out and tell you. Before that I used Squirt drip lube and only got around 2,500-3,500 out of a DuraAce chain, if memory serves me well, before my more conservative chain wear indicator said 0.5, hence why I looked for something better.

I don't think we should set independent tests under controlled conditions aside. Objective comparative data is good. Biased subjective data under wildly varying conditions is only good for banter. Even if you get the stellar results you claim based on an accurate chain wear indicator (they vary a lot), testing suggests you could do in excess of 50% better still:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

What now?
I use the most accurate chain wear indicator there is.........a ruler. I can tell you the only reason I replaced my chain at a little over 6K miles is that it was getting a stiff link I couldn't work out. At that time, there was no noticeable wear. It would have lasted another 6K miles had it not been for the stiff link.

Unless you regularly ride in foul weather, 2,500-3,500 miles is pathetic. I used to get that with wax lubes. Granted that hot wax is probably better than bottle wax lubes, but I doubt you will have better longevity than with oil lubes used correctly.
Old 12-11-22, 08:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Look, Lombard, you seem to be a cycling enthusiast, based on your participation in this and the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. So why not give immersion waxing a try?

You say waxing is a waste of time, but you have time to contribute to (at least) these two subforums (in addition to the actual riding), right?

Waxing has minimal startup costs if you use plain paraffin wax, especially when you already have OMS. A 2-quart Crock Pot is $12 and a pound of Gulf wax is $4 (both at Walmart). A pair of 11-speed Shimano quick links (enough for two chains) is about $10, and the Super B quick link removal and installation tool is $16 at Amazon. And the latter two remain useful even if you decide waxing is not for you. So what is the worst that could happen?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.