Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Old 08-23-22, 08:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
3 cassettes in 50,000 miles would $1200 and 3-5 years of riding.

One of the cogs on a SRAM 1190 is starting to skip under load but it has around 35,000 miles …
If one cassette made it to 35,000 miles, why do you need 3 cassettes for 50,000 miles?
Old 08-23-22, 08:49 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 227 Posts
Squirt lube all the way.

I just finished cleaning my bike and chain using Dawn dish liquid. Chain and bike are shiny, squeaky clean. What's the big deal? I'll drip more Squirt on tonight and ready to roll in the morning. Quiet and clean. 2 minutes.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-23-22, 09:05 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Squirt lube all the way.

I just finished cleaning my bike and chain using Dawn dish liquid. Chain and bike are shiny, squeaky clean. What's the big deal? I'll drip more Squirt on tonight and ready to roll in the morning. Quiet and clean. 2 minutes.
I one hundred percent agree.
The thing is though, is to run the chain backwards round & round for a minute or two to really work it into the rollers. Then, a follow up drop on each roller for good measure.
It seems that people who don't do this find it doesn't perform as well as molten immersion. We'll, of course it didn't; it never made it "inside."

The other caveat is it needs to dry, as in completely dry. The water in the emulsion has to physically leave the bike in a gaseous form for the wax to be left behind. Else the water ******* the wax back out of the roller by the various forces while in use. IOW: You can't simply put a drop on each roller & immediately go for a ride. That's not how it works.

User error on both counts.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-23-22, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Don't non-wax chain lubricating folks also do the initial chain cleaning?.
I do.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-23-22, 10:20 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I've recently started chain waxing. Initially put off by a pretty underwhelming experience using Squirt drip lube where the standard rigamarole of multiple OMS baths and denatured alcohol rinse still didn't clean my chains enough to not turn into a black and sticky mess after a single ride.

I had some Silca Hot-Melt sitting around for a year while I used up the bottle of Squirt, and otherwise used NixFrixShun and Synergetic wet lubes on my various bikes. What pushed me over was ZFC's updated recommendation to use CeramicSpeed UFO drivetrain cleaner, which is non-toxic and requires a short immersion and a minute of shaking before a hot water rinse. Having an actually clean chain after a ride has been a revelation.

I'd like to try the Effetto Mariposa drip wax, if I could only find it in stock at any of the places I buy bike gear. I don't want to blow through expensive quick links so I get by with topping off the chain using Silca's drip wax every couple hundred kms, but it's noticeably inferior to immersion.
Old 08-23-22, 10:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I don't want to blow through expensive quick links....
I know that there are a couple of true one-use quick links out there, but the Shimano ones, that specify that they not to be reused, are meant to be paired with one chain for the lifetime of that chain; you can take them off and put them back on, they just don't want you reusing it on another chain once the first wears out. That said, I'll still replace a quick link if it starts to get too easy to pop on and off.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-23-22, 11:26 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
3 cassettes in 50,000 miles would $1200 and 3-5 years of riding.

One of the cogs on a SRAM 1190 is starting to skip under load but it has around 35,000 miles and has suffered to many big-big abuses. I think the key is not letting your chains wear out. When I was lazy and used liquid lubes, my chains would last 2-2,500 miles. I've gotten 10,000 miles on a waxed chain in ideal conditions. 12 speed chains are about $100. So, there is some real money to be saved with the 5 minutes it takes to wax my chain every 500-600 miles. Lets say 20 times per year or around 2 hours. Whats that about $450 per hour?
What brand of chain did you get 10,000 miles out of? Just curious. I have heard that Campagnolo chains last the longest but maybe Wippermann too since they seem built in a similar fashion. I have been trying different brands of chains and must say that the KMC and SRAM chains I have used get to ~ 0.75%-1% elongation in as little as 1800 or 2000-ish miles. I’m liking the Wippermann, Taya and Campagnolo (C-9) chains I have been running on my 3x9 and 2x10 club racing bikes.

I have been waxing for 2 years now. I prioritize “quietness” on my bike. A newly waxed chain is nicely silent and stays that way for a while. I’m gonna be honest and admit that the plain gulf canning wax in mini-crock pot seems to partly flake off after about ~100 miles of riding. When the chain get to this point I can hear a gnashing sound when applying a lot of torque to the cranks. I’ve become OCD lately about always being in the correct gear and keeping the torque no more than moderate.

I like chain waxing enough and it is habitual now that even with only about 3 or 4 forty+ mile rides on one chain before swapping it out for its partner (I’m doing a 2 chain per bike system and always have the next freshly waxed one ready to go) - I am still committed to continue the waxing program into the future. Just wanted to clarify the statement that waxing prolongs chain life. In my experience it does not. But I’m OK with that.
Old 08-23-22, 11:37 AM
The_woo

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
What brand of chain did you get 10,000 miles out of? Just curious. I have heard that Campagnolo chains last the longest but maybe Wippermann too since they seem built in a similar fashion. I have been trying different brands of chains and must say that the KMC and SRAM chains I have used get to ~ 0.75%-1% elongation in as little as 1800 or 2000-ish miles. I’m liking the Wippermann, Taya and Campagnolo (C-9) chains I have been running on my 3x9 and 2x10 club racing bikes.

I have been waxing for 2 years now. I prioritize “quietness” on my bike. A newly waxed chain is nicely silent and stays that way for a while. I’m gonna be honest and admit that the plain gulf canning wax in mini-crock pot seems to partly flake off after about ~100 miles of riding. When the chain get to this point I can hear a gnashing sound when applying a lot of torque to the cranks. I’ve become OCD lately about always being in the correct gear and keeping the torque no more than moderate.

I like chain waxing enough and it is habitual now that even with only about 3 or 4 forty+ mile rides on one chain before swapping it out for its partner (I’m doing a 2 chain per bike system and always have the next freshly waxed one ready to go) - I am still committed to continue the waxing program into the future. Just wanted to clarify the statement that waxing prolongs chain life. In my experience it does not. But I’m OK with that.
ZFC suggests YBN chains are the best for waxing & longevity. Some models actually come with no factory grease on them at all.
Old 08-23-22, 11:58 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that there are a couple of true one-use quick links out there, but the Shimano ones, that specify that they not to be reused, are meant to be paired with one chain for the lifetime of that chain; you can take them off and put them back on, they just don't want you reusing it on another chain once the first wears out. That said, I'll still replace a quick link if it starts to get too easy to pop on and off.
I've seen a rough estimate of safely being able to reuse a quick link 5 times, so let's say I immersion wax every 500-600km, that's well short of the total expected lifetime of a waxed chain. Using lube and a 105 chain that gets replaced more often might actually be cheaper than what I'm doing, which is using DA chains for their supposed longevity and lower friction.

I'm getting a new MTB this week and will definitely clean and wax the 12 speed chain. Given the lower mileage I don't expect to take the chain off that often, and I'd much rather be able to wipe the chain down than have to go through the full degreasing and cleaning process.
Old 08-23-22, 12:16 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

[QUOTE=surak;22620513]I've recently started chain waxing. Initially put off by a pretty underwhelming experience using Squirt drip lube where the standard rigamarole of multiple OMS baths and denatured alcohol rinse still didn't clean my chains enough to not turn into a black and sticky mess after a single ride.

Overkill, I have never done that. Just clean the new chain with a rag and degreaser and off ya go. Then Dawn dish soap.

Here is this morning's effort. Honest, chain and whole bike in less than 5 minutes. Not show quality, but clean enough to avoid the "Cat 5 tatoo."
Old 08-23-22, 12:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I've been waxing for a number of years. A $13 small crockpot lives in the garage. I fashioned an Al "basket" that keeps the chain off the accumulated crud on the bottom. I buy a cassette and 3 chains at a time, initially degrease the chains and then rotate them ~300 mi/chain. Before routine rewaxing, I brush bits off the chains with a stiff-bristle cassette brush. The 3x chain waxing process involves turning on the crockpot, getting on with my day for a few hours, then dumping in a chain for ~1 hr, retrieving the chain, brushing off the next and dropping it in, then repeating the process with the third chain. The total hands-on is maybe 15 min for the lot, and I have ~1000 miles-worth of waxed chain ready to go. Also a routinely clean chain and cassette is a marked difference from wet lube, where I could clean everything to sparkling, and it would all be black after 10 miles. Also no black fingers if I have to pull the rear wheel for a flat.

I started with a couple of lb of wax granules off Amazon, but I'll use any wax - makes little difference that I can see. Someone gave us some pretty ugly home-made candles - into the crockpot they went

Last edited by Litespud; 08-24-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-23-22, 01:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Overkill, I have never done that. Just clean the new chain with a rag and degreaser and off ya go. Then Dawn dish soap.

Here is this morning's effort. Honest, chain and whole bike in less than 5 minutes. Not show quality, but clean enough to avoid the "Cat 5 tatoo."
You're not comparing apples-to-apples. He was talking about the initial chain cleaning process which, when waxing, is 90%+ of the drivetrain work for the lifetime of the chain. After that's done, most people that wax will not clean their chain or drivetrain again.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-23-22, 01:16 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This is countering the reasons the pro waxers are stating in the thread about how easy and less time consuming it is. There's one more step you have to add to the process. WhyFi seems to be the only one stating that extra work in involved at the beginning of the process.
Well, wax or lube, you need to deep clean your chain at certain intervals as well... You can't just wipe it with a rag and add lube every once in a while, it needs more loooove than that. I would tend to say that a waxed chain is easier to clean because it attracts less dirt, dust, crap, etc.

Extra work is indeed involved at the beginning, but the return on investment seems to be worth it.
Old 08-23-22, 02:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Immersive waxing.

It's the best thing.
  • It so drastically reduces drive train friction across the duration of the application that it saves watts compared to other methods.
  • It minimises chain, cassette and chain ring wear and costs so little per application that it offers a significant return on investment.
  • It is easy and requires less work than any other method when defined as 'total time spent minding the chain or drivetrain'.
  • The wax is as hard and dry as a candle and leaves the entire bike clean to handle, always.
  • Two or more chains in rotation provide convenience, even for wet weather, and further increase drivetrain lifespans.
So then, you go faster, save money, save time, have no mess, and are always ready to go.
There we have benefits for all the boy racers, retrogrouches, MAMILs, show offs, and compulsive riders.

Some people assume the set up is difficult or expensive to purchase, but it is not.
Other people think oil or toxic solvent based lubes work better, but they are still asleep.
Few people think the wax emulsion drips they use are the same thing, but they are not.
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite.

So what's going on?

Shops not wanting to sell fewer bottles of gunky lube and replacement drivetrain components I understand, but among people interested enough to sign up to a cycling forum, this should be so popular.

Let's talk about it.
Please. 'Drastically' reduces drive train friction? How much? Chain drivetrains are very very efficient. Even if you gain 20% that's what...1-2 watts? There is no way that it's a time saver. It takes mere seconds for me to lube a chain. Hell, I could stop multiple times in the middle of a ride to lube my chain and it would still be more time efficient. Some people will overdo, over think, and try to convince everyone else that their method is by far the best. If it was so much better in so many ways tell me one thing. One thing only. Why are there no Pro teams doing this? I'll wait.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-23-22, 02:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Are you living in a dumpster? Or do you just find your bikes there.
Did I insult you somehow? What made you stoop to being such a dick?

No, I didn't get my bike from a dumpster. I've never paid more than about $65 for a cassette. I use Miche cassettes on my Campagnolo 10 speed. They are on sale right now, I should order one.
Miche Primato 10x Cassette | ProBikeKit.com
Likes For big john:
Old 08-23-22, 03:24 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Personally, switched from Squirt to UFO Lube, much cleaner, allegedly faster and longer drivetrain life, not that it was bad with Squirt (I tended to bin the chain at 6500km not because it was worn but because I'd have a big event coming up and would want to do it on a fresh chain). I read about waxing, but... you know, I just can't be bothered.
Old 08-23-22, 03:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I've been waxing for a number of years… Also no black fingers if I have to pull the rear wheel for a flat.
You don’t have to touch the chain when you remove the rear wheel.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-23-22, 03:54 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
You're not comparing apples-to-apples. He was talking about the initial chain cleaning process which, when waxing, is 90%+ of the drivetrain work for the lifetime of the chain. After that's done, most people that wax will not clean their chain or drivetrain again.
And you can of course even skip that by buying a pre-waxed YBN chain from MSW for a few extra bucks.
Old 08-23-22, 04:44 PM
bblair

That is true.

But, IMO, the official Squirt protocol is overkill and have never done that. A new, out of the box chain does not take long to clean. An old one does, so my advice is that if you are going to give wax or Squirt a try, start with a fresh chain.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-23-22, 04:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've heard similar claims about taking a leak, but I still would find it difficult to avoid in practice.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-23-22, 04:56 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Squirt lube all the way.
Originally Posted by base2
I one hundred percent agree.
I went through two of those workshop sized bottles of Squirt and know it well. Yes it is important to really go out of your way to work it into the chain and let it dry. If done correctly it will run smooth and quiet. But the issue is that it will still produce grey gunk even if you clean off the outside of the chain, it's going to work itself to the surface and attract dust. Unless frequently attended to, it will get into the cassette, between the chain rings, into the jockey wheels, and so on.

Hot wax dries as hard as a candle, not into smeary goo. You can just vacuum hot wax flakes up from the floor, if you try that with Squirt bits that have fallen off, you'll just smear it into the floor. Squirt chains are sticky and it gets on your fingers if you handle the chain, you'll want to wash your hands. None of that with hot wax. That is a very significant difference.

Just clean the new chain with a rag and degreaser and off ya go. Then Dawn dish soap.
Wiping down a chain externally does nothing for what's going on inside. Using those on-bike chain cleaner tools and so forth doesn't work either. Take your chain off and shake it up in some solvent and see what still comes out. Shiny chains on the outside will still grit away.

Just as immersion is required for proper cleaning, it is required for proper lubrication.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Please. 'Drastically' reduces drive train friction? How much? Chain drivetrains are very very efficient. Even if you gain 20% that's what...1-2 watts? There is no way that it's a time saver. It takes mere seconds for me to lube a chain. Hell, I could stop multiple times in the middle of a ride to lube my chain and it would still be more time efficient. Some people will overdo, over think, and try to convince everyone else that their method is by far the best. If it was so much better in so many ways tell me one thing. One thing only. Why are there no Pro teams doing this? I'll wait.
Here's a comparison of common lubes with/without contamination and chain lifespans. What people keep forgetting is that whilst some good lubes perform well (still not as well) upon initial application on a clean chain, the wear rate quickly deteriorates as contamination makes it into the chain, losing you more and more watts whilst eating up your parts. The more power you put in, the more watts, ZFC throws 2-6 Watts at 250W around, and that is just a side benefit not important to all but very important to some. It just keeps accumulating due to the superficial way people clean and relube their chains. Doing it properly would be way too much work, fortunately there is hot waxing where it's not an issue. Compare the chain lifespans. Also, simply google it and you will see that many pro athletes run waxed chains.

Last edited by yaw; 08-23-22 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-23-22, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You do on my main road bike. The one thing that irritates me about my Storck is the rear-facing dropouts. I know I'm the rare exception.
Old 08-23-22, 05:55 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I have been thinking about getting an ultrasonic clean and hot pot to try this.

Where do you throw away/recycle the waste?

The auto place takes my transmission fluid and motor oil but they don't want my dirty used mineral spirits.
Old 08-23-22, 06:07 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I have been thinking about getting an ultrasonic clean and hot pot to try this.

Where do you throw away/recycle the waste?

The auto place takes my transmission fluid and motor oil but they don't want my dirty used mineral spirits.
I put it in the hummingbird feeder with some red dye.

I also mow in May
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-23-22, 06:10 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I went through two of those workshop sized bottles of Squirt and know it well. Yes it is important to really go out of your way to work it into the chain and let it dry. If done correctly it will run smooth and quiet. But the issue is that it will still produce grey gunk even if you clean off the outside of the chain, it's going to work itself to the surface and attract dust. Unless frequently attended to, it will get into the cassette, between the chain rings, into the jockey wheels, and so on.

Hot wax dries as hard as a candle, not into smeary goo. You can just vacuum hot wax flakes up from the floor, if you try that with Squirt bits that have fallen off, you'll just smear it into the floor. Squirt chains are sticky and it gets on your fingers if you handle the chain, you'll want to wash your hands. None of that with hot wax. That is a very significant difference.

Wiping down a chain externally does nothing for what's going on inside. Using those on-bike chain cleaner tools and so forth doesn't work either. Take your chain off and shake it up in some solvent and see what still comes out. Shiny chains on the outside will still grit away.

Just as immersion is required for proper cleaning, it is required for proper lubrication.

Here's a comparison of common lubes with/without contamination and chain lifespans. What people keep forgetting is that whilst some good lubes perform well (still not as well) upon initial application on a clean chain, the wear rate quickly deteriorates as contamination makes it into the chain, losing you more and more watts whilst eating up your parts. The more power you put in, the more watts, ZFC throws 2-6 Watts at 250W around, and that is just a side benefit not important to all but very important to some. It just keeps accumulating due to the superficial way people clean and relube their chains. Doing it properly would be way too much work, fortunately there is hot waxing where it's not an issue. Compare the chain lifespans. Also, simply google it and you will see that many pro athletes run waxed chains.

Who did this test? For what it's worth. I had a Fisher mt. bike that I did many mt. bike races on, then retired it to a commuter. Did over 6.000 miles commuting with it. Original chain, and before I was a Bike Forum member and didn't know better, all I used was WD40 to lube it. The only reason I didn't have a chance to put a new chain on was that it was stolen at work. (seven speed chain if it matters)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.