Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel Upgrade - Aluminum!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-26-22, 07:14 PM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

The rear wheel on my AllCity Mr. Pink has a crack in the aluminum rim, and so YAY! time for new wheels!
I am looking for recommendations for relatively STIFF aluminum rim brake rims (I can't afford carbon right now)
Sturdiness is more important than lightweight (I want this wheelset to last longer, and be stiff for power transfer, and I'm heavy).
I am 190lbs and use this bike to pretend I am a roadie, which I am not, but like to think I am and ride as fast as I can, although I don't enter any races.
Old 08-26-22, 07:21 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
DT Swiss RR 511
Old 08-26-22, 07:47 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I like the Campagnolo Zondas I have on my Cannondale. They’re under $400 for the set, spin well, and don’t have much flex as far as I can tell. I’m about 193lbs these days, and I like to pretend I’m a roadie, too. Actually got a PR on a 34 mile course with this bike (and these wheels) today.

But as far as I’ve heard, you can’t really go wrong with DT Swiss, either - though their wheels are a bit pricier.

One last note - the Zondas have a near silent freehub, so if you’re looking for murder hornets when you coast, then this ain’t it.
Old 08-26-22, 08:37 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123
The rear wheel on my AllCity Mr. Pink has a crack in the aluminum rim, and so YAY! time for new wheels!
I am looking for recommendations for relatively STIFF aluminum rim brake rims (I can't afford carbon right now)
Sturdiness is more important than lightweight (I want this wheelset to last longer, and be stiff for power transfer, and I'm heavy).
I am 190lbs and use this bike to pretend I am a roadie, which I am not, but like to think I am and ride as fast as I can, although I don't enter any races.
You could get a new version of the cracked rim and mount it onto the rim/spokes. Then a shop can finish and true the rim.
Old 08-26-22, 08:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
https://hedcycling.com/products/belgium-r-rim-brake/
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-27-22, 10:53 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
If it were me, I would have ProWheelBuilder build a set as follows

Mavic Open Pro Rims with the largest number of spokes you can get (36?)
Bitex hubs
Double butted spokes (I like Sapim)
Brass nipples (Sapim)

3 cross spoke pattern.

I costed it out on their website. About $450 and 1600 grams

This will give you a set of wheels that is light, relatively cheap and durable
The above recommendation is based on reading "The Bicycle Wheel" and personal experience.
Old 08-28-22, 12:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
You can just replace the rim. Is the old one name brand?

If you can match the rim effective rim diameter (ERD), then you can reuse the spokes, otherwise replace the spokes too.

If you are building from scratch, I'm a fan of "Off Center" or "Asymmetric" rims on the rear.

Velocity makes the A23 OC.
DT makes a couple Asymmetric rims.
Old 08-28-22, 04:44 AM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox

Bitex hubs
Brass nipples (Sapim)

3 cross spoke pattern.

The above recommendation is based on reading "The Bicycle Wheel" and personal experience.
very good, will look into mavics!
Old 08-28-22, 06:34 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
any HED set will do it all.
also, I would never even consider ANY wheelset (alu or CF) with an internal rim width under 21, 23 is preferred...
...Chris King hub noise freaks me out ! Mavic is right behind Vhris...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-28-22, 07:16 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Wheelmaster makes inexpensive, sturdy wheels that are built better than one might imagine. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063R24OY/

They are packed well and shipped quickly. All four of mine arrived true to within about 2mm, and I took them to 1mm easily, with selective 1/8-turn loosening, only rarely tightening. Spoke tension seems pretty even, and they have stayed true so far. They are also very sturdy, with 14 ga. DT spokes, and 36 of them!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 08-29-22, 06:21 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox

Bitex hubs
Brass nipples (Sapim)

3 cross spoke pattern.

For what its worth, I've used Mavic Open Pros for a long time. They're great rims that are durable with good braking, but these days they're a little outdated unless you're talking about the next gen open pro UST versions that nobody can actually get. The OG open pro that is still out there is pretty narrow for modern tire sizes and isn't tubeless compatible.

I'm curious about the bitex hubs though. You have personal experience?

I'm about the same weight as the OP, and I had good luck with a set of R90SL Easton Rims laced with Revolutions, 32 spokes 3x. I probably could've gone even with 28 hole if I was feeling spicy, but I decided to play it safe with 32.
Old 08-29-22, 12:53 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Support your forum members, Boyd and PSImet build what you want. At least check them out.
Old 08-29-22, 01:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
h plus son archetype rims- they are just better than Open Pro. Archtype rims are more aero(nominal, admittedly), a bit wider both internally and externally, and well finished for the price.
Then use some double butted spokes and bitex hubs.

prowheelbuilder is excellent- I have multiple wheelsets from them. If you dont want to choose on your own, call them or select their house build option as it is excellent and 95% the same as what I mention above.

You are 190# and this is a road bike- you are fine on handbuilt 32h rims. Heck, you are fine on 24/28h handbuilt wheels too, but go more if you feel the need. It will just make the wheels a touch heavier in the end.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-22, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Wheelmaster makes inexpensive, sturdy wheels that are built better than one might imagine. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063R24OY/

They are packed well and shipped quickly. All four of mine arrived true to within about 2mm, and I took them to 1mm easily, with selective 1/8-turn loosening, only rarely tightening. Spoke tension seems pretty even, and they have stayed true so far. They are also very sturdy, with 14 ga. DT spokes, and 36 of them!
Wheels shouldnt be 'about 2mm' out of true out of the box.
Old 08-29-22, 01:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Phatman
I'm curious about the bitex hubs though. You have personal experience?
My main road bike and my gravel bike both have bitex hubs. Road bike is rim brake and gravel is disc. They are the ones sold on prowheelbuilder.com - RA12, I think?
Anyways, they have been flawless for years now. The road wheels were built in early 2018 and I have not touched them. The hubs are perfect- same as original. Its a hub- if you dont think about it then its perfect, at least in my view. The hubs are relatively light, relatively expensive, and have rolled without issue.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-22, 09:09 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wheels shouldnt be 'about 2mm' out of true out of the box.
I guess you get what you pay for!
Old 08-29-22, 09:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
any HED set will do it all.
also, I would never even consider ANY wheelset (alu or CF) with an internal rim width under 21, 23 is preferred...
...Chris King hub noise freaks me out ! Mavic is right behind Vhris...
Ride On
Yuri
An aside on the Chris King hornets - King made an "alpha" batch of those hubs and sent them out to be real world tested for feedback. Knew they were completely unacceptably noisy but wanted to get the other issues sorted out first as that could wait. Well early feedback - everybody loved the buzz! So King left it. The collective "we" asked for the hornets and we got them. (In quotes to empathize that I never fit into that bracket. I no longer bother but I used to grease my FWs to silence them.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-30-22, 07:59 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My main road bike and my gravel bike both have bitex hubs. Road bike is rim brake and gravel is disc. They are the ones sold on prowheelbuilder.com - RA12, I think?
Anyways, they have been flawless for years now. The road wheels were built in early 2018 and I have not touched them. The hubs are perfect- same as original. Its a hub- if you dont think about it then its perfect, at least in my view. The hubs are relatively light, relatively expensive, and have rolled without issue.
Good to know. I tend to kill rear hubs on my mountain and gravel bikes for some reason so I went for DT350's on the latest wheelset I got for the graveller. I was very tempted by the Bitex's though, they were lighter and cheaper.