Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo vs Cervelo - R5 v Caledonia opinions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-04-22, 01:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Considering amongst this brand, these 2 models.

Not sure when, but supposedly Cervelo now has the R5 able to take up to 34mm tires, and comparing geometry from a fit perspective, there seems to be very little difference between the 2 (about 7mm less stack on the R5). Wheelbase and trail differ though. Equipment-wise, they seem comparable. If the 2 links are accurate though, what do you think is main reasons for there being a 3+ lb difference?

Any other thoughts/opinions on selecting between these 2. 90% of time is spent on road.

R5 Ultegra Di2
Caledonia5 - ForceAXS
Old 12-04-22, 03:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Different frame design and layup. Along with minor increases in weights of some components and maybe wheels too.

And possibly a misprint or someone goofed while weighing them.
Old 12-04-22, 03:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
703g frame weight for the r5.
936g frame weight for the Caledonia.

Apparently force etap is 400g heavier than Ultegra di2
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...o-ultegra-di2/

So those two things would be 1.4#.
The Caledonia wheels look deeper, so I'm guessing they are slightly heavier.

No idea on the rest of the build- either of those bikes is light to me.
Old 12-04-22, 04:22 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
I would personally go with the R5. I have a bike with the new 12 speed Ultegra, as well as one with Force 2x AXS. I'd go with the R5 for the Ultegra groupset and lighter weight.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 12-04-22, 05:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
703g frame weight for the r5.
936g frame weight for the Caledonia.

Apparently force etap is 400g heavier than Ultegra di2
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...o-ultegra-di2/

So those two things would be 1.4#.
The Caledonia wheels look deeper, so I'm guessing they are slightly heavier.

No idea on the rest of the build- either of those bikes is light to me.
Thanks for the info on the Force weight. I took a look at that article, with a normal range cassette and batteries (ie. something larger than a 12-25, the groupset weight difference I think ends up less than 200g.

I'm thinking Excel has a misprint also on the Caledonia5. I found a bikeradar review that makes me think this bike should fall roughly between 17.5-18 lbs.

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I would personally go with the R5. I have a bike with the new 12 speed Ultegra, as well as one with Force 2x AXS. I'd go with the R5 for the Ultegra groupset and lighter weight.
Thanks, I know nothing about sram ergonomics and/or whether I'd like them. I think the R5 would provide a more responsive feel and it's where I'm leaning between these 2 bikes.
Old 12-04-22, 06:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thanks for the info on the Force weight. I took a look at that article, with a normal range cassette and batteries (ie. something larger than a 12-25, the groupset weight difference I think ends up less than 200g.

I'm thinking Excel has a misprint also on the Caledonia5. I found a bikeradar review that makes me think this bike should fall roughly between 17.5-18 lbs.

Thanks, I know nothing about sram ergonomics and/or whether I'd like them. I think the R5 would provide a more responsive feel and it's where I'm leaning between these 2 bikes.
​​​​​​I would choose the R5 for you, because: 90% pavement, Di2 over SRAM, and this.

Cervelo makes great bikes. The bikes they make are designed to ride well for the type of riding they're intended for. Caledonia like the C series it's based on is meant to provide a stable ride on fast gravel. R5 is meant to be a gazelle, fast and agile. This is why the wheelbase is different between those otherwise similar frames.
Old 12-05-22, 08:11 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
If it were me, I’d get the Caledonia. Not that I love SRAM, but it’s got deeper and wider wheels and you can probably find some places to shed weight. I also like that geometry- it’s pretty close to the R3 and Aspero

I have a hard time buying that bike weighs over 19 pounds. My Aspero w/ GRX 800 2x weighs 18.5 pounds with Reserve 32mm wheels and 40mm tires that weigh 450g each and the base frame is heavier. It’s gotta be a misprint- I’m guessing it’s 18# or less
Old 12-05-22, 08:42 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I'd buy a frame and build it up with Force. IME, too many stock parts end up being changed out.
Old 12-05-22, 09:12 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If it were me, I'd be ruminating like a steer. Both are awesome.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-05-22, 10:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It comes down to how you ride. Even though gravel bikes seem to be the "thing", and your thing may not see much action with gravel type riding.

Also, your current situation with bikes. Perhaps the existing bike may still work for another purpose. That means you really have two bikes.

Since you already focused on these two Cervelo bikes, the preference would be R5, unless you have compelling reason(s) for the Caledonia.

If you're an older rider, I would look to see what the original Cervelo designer and co-owner is doing...Gerard Vroomen. Similar with deep pockets and perhaps better thought process.

Of the two Cervelo guys - Vroomen & White, its Vroomen who is still actively at it in an entrepreneurial way.

https://opencycle.com/mind
Old 12-05-22, 06:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
If you're an older rider, I would look to see what the original Cervelo designer and co-owner is doing...Gerard Vroomen. Similar with deep pockets and perhaps better thought process.

Of the two Cervelo guys - Vroomen & White, its Vroomen who is still actively at it in an entrepreneurial way.

https://opencycle.com/mind
I thought hard about this and developed a phobia of cutting the seat mast.
Old 12-07-22, 11:38 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I thought hard about this and developed a phobia of cutting the seat mast.
Yes, I read the article just recently

https://roadbikeaction.com/ask-r-c-w...ed-seat-masts/
Old 12-07-22, 01:17 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Take a look at some of the reviews on Cervelo's new Soloist. It looks like it fills the niche between the R5 and the Caledonia 5. For what it's worth, I've logged over 8K miles on a 2022 Caledonia 5/Rival eTap I've owned for over a year. I recently replaced the alloy DT Swiss wheelset with Roval C38 carbon wheels. It's super comfortable and solid, particularly for longer rides. If I had to do it over again, I'd take a look at the Soloist. I don't have much experience with other current gen performance bikes, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Best wishes!
Old 12-07-22, 04:54 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Bici Veloce
Take a look at some of the reviews on Cervelo's new Soloist. It looks like it fills the niche between the R5 and the Caledonia 5. For what it's worth, I've logged over 8K miles on a 2022 Caledonia 5/Rival eTap I've owned for over a year. I recently replaced the alloy DT Swiss wheelset with Roval C38 carbon wheels. It's super comfortable and solid, particularly for longer rides. If I had to do it over again, I'd take a look at the Soloist. I don't have much experience with other current gen performance bikes, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Best wishes!
Great recommendation... that looks like a fantastic bike.
Old 12-07-22, 05:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Bici Veloce

Best wishes!
Thanks for the suggestion. From a fit perspective, I'm not sure how it would be between the R5 and Caledonia though? Looks like fit is a bit more aggressive than the R5, which in turn is more aggressive than the Caledonia. I pulled this geo comparison.. it looks very much like that all Cervelo does is change the HT length between models.

Old 12-07-22, 06:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thanks for the suggestion. From a fit perspective, I'm not sure how it would be between the R5 and Caledonia though? Looks like fit is a bit more aggressive than the R5, which in turn is more aggressive than the Caledonia. I pulled this geo comparison.. it looks very much like that all Cervelo does is change the HT length between models.
Yeah I think it's supposed to go C > R > S > S5
Old 12-07-22, 08:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yeah I think it's supposed to go C > R > S > S5
Yes, the Caledonia has almost the same geometry as the prior generation R series:

Cervelo R-Series Disc Brake Road Frameset - Bikes (competitivecyclist.com)