Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1988 Schwinn Voyageur - 62cm - touring bike

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 12-07-22, 12:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts

SOLD

Most of you probably know this one from my Saturday's Haul thread (and from the prior listing for the frameset).

This is a 1988 Schwinn Voyageur frameset that I picked up from a LBS closing down. It had no wheels, and had been victim to a front-end collision. Both fork and frame had to be cold-set straight again, but neither show evidence - the minor wrinkles under the lugs disappeared upon straightening - and both frame and fork were checked and re-checked by a local framebuilder after I did the work, as I kept having issues with the fork. That has since been solved, which led me to building it back up.

This is not a pretty frame and has its share of surface rust - but it is absolutely solid. Wheels are not perfect matches and have galvanized spokes, but they're intact. Rear is a nice Wheelmaster, front is a US-made Weinmann and has a lousy finish - but it works. Tires are new, but not my favorite; the bead seat indicator doesn't give me confidence. New bar tape on SR Road Champion bars, new lined cable housing. Headset is not pretty but doesn't index, works well.

RD is new. Works well enough, not thrilled by it. FD doesn't quite work with the ring combo due the inner plate rubbing against the middle ring if pulled into the large/small combo, but it does shift snappy. Outer ring is a beautiful 50T Sugino, next one is a usable but ugly Shimano SG ring - don't recall what size - and the 28t granny is the factory Biopace ring that was on it. BB spins well, but an investigation for one forum member did bring up the fact that the cups are only passable. I'd suggest using it until it wears out entirely, then replacing with your preference in square taper.

Has a modern Blackburn rear rack on it, provisions for a front lowrider rack, braze-ons for three water bottles, and everything short of a gugie 650B conversion (which it could probably support with the canti braze-ons moved).

Photos probably tell the story better than I describe above. I also recommend you look at the frameset pictures from when I was having trouble with the fork. Glad to provide any additional photos or information as one wishes.

62cm ST CTC.

$200 + shipping, PP or MO.

Last edited by cudak888; 12-12-22 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 12:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts

Likes For cudak888: