Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sparta Elroy Trail or La Crosse to St. Paul

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 07:13 PM
TIMOK

Bikes: Co-OP Adv 1.1, Raleigh 3 speed, 80's Trek, Indy Fab. Crown Jewel, yada yada yada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello all,
Looking for wisdom and experience from the group. I'm planning a ride in mid October, thinking of these two options. Would be bike camping. If I do Sparta I will car camp in the middle and ride half and half over 2 days. If La Crosse, I would take the train there and bike tour back to the Twin Cities. Or could just drive / camp and ride the Driftless area ( MN and WI) from one home base. Anyone done this? Can point me in a direction for ideas?
Thanks!
TimOK
Likes For TIMOK:
Old 09-03-21, 10:01 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just a note that there are still a couple portions of the Elroy Sparta trail that are closed:

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/elroysparta

I live in Wisconsin. Driftless area is a blast if you don't mind a couple hills. It's really quite scenic, and the county roads don't get much traffic outside of the bigger towns.
Old 09-04-21, 07:17 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Curious what route you'd take from LaCrosse to Twin Cities? I'd definitely reccomend great River Trail North of Lacrosse most the way to Winona but don't know a good cycling route after that. Gets hilly N of Winona.

Sparta Elroy trail is great, off road but dirt/gravel. Even with some minor closures I would reccomend. Have ridden most of it.
Old 09-04-21, 09:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Elroy to Sparta is my favorite rail trail.

It's essentially three long, not very steep hills with a tunnel at the top of each. (Bring a light. It's impossible to see through the tunnels). If parts of the trail are closed as another poster has indicated, be advised that the alternative local roads are quite hilly and much steeper than the rail bed..
Old 09-04-21, 12:44 PM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Took Amtrak from St Paul to La Crosse late Sept 2018 and rode back to Twin Cities.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/b1ihcxK2VU8aR3hz8
Likes For biker222:
Old 09-04-21, 01:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The Driftless region is really nice. My club always does some fall rides there and we'll hit up Stone Barn Pizza. The wife is partial to a pie stop in Stockholm.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-05-21, 01:45 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
Took Amtrak from St Paul to La Crosse late Sept 2018 and rode back to Twin Cities.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/b1ihcxK2VU8aR3hz8
Nice pics.

Besides the great River Trail out of Lacrosse/Onalaska what route did you take?
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 09-05-21, 02:15 PM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Nice pics.

Besides the great River Trail out of Lacrosse/Onalaska what route did you take?
After Tempealeau I stayed on 35 on Wisconsin side and crossed at Prescott.
After crossing river I took the MRT trail into St Paul and Greenway thru Minneapolis.
Likes For biker222:
Old 09-06-21, 11:04 AM
TIMOK

Bikes: Co-OP Adv 1.1, Raleigh 3 speed, 80's Trek, Indy Fab. Crown Jewel, yada yada yada

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the info.
will keep you posted.
Old 09-06-21, 02:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Driftless region is really nice. My club always does some fall rides there and we'll hit up Stone Barn Pizza. The wife is partial to a pie stop in Stockholm.
Would that be "Pie are Square"?
Old 09-06-21, 02:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Would that be "Pie are Square"?
No. Pies at the General Store in Stockholm, WI.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-07-21, 05:34 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Hey, I think I've kinda done all of those. In 1989, I rode an organized camping tour with Bike America (later renamed to Cycle America, and no longer around), which was a cross country tour where you could select which leg(s) you wanted to do. I chose Wisconsin and we rode from Lake City, MN to Manitowoc, WI. I think it was day 2 where the route included the trail from Sparta to Elroy.

In 1992, I did a solo tour from my home in Minneapolis and rode along the St. Croix and then along the Mississippi through La Crosse and down into Iowa.

In 2004, 2005, and 2006, I rode a thing called Cheese Country Hell Week. It was 8 days of riding (90-120 miles/day) and each day we would return to the same city - Richland Center, WI. It was an offshoot of Texas Hell Week (the same guy organized both), but neither are held any more.

Anyway, my favorite of the 3 was the Cheese Country Hell Week. But I didn't plan the routes. I think the Big Dogs Endurance Cycling group did most of that but I can't seem to find their website. Maybe they aren't around anymore either.
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 09-08-21, 07:31 AM
TIMOK

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
biker222,
Looks amazing. at this point it is looking like the Sparta trail we be the choice, but still need a few more details on the detour conditions as I might have a friend along on a 3 wheeler. Need to figure out how wide the shoulders are on the detours....

Thanks again
TOK
Old 09-08-21, 07:34 AM
TIMOK

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Retro, can you advise on the size of the shoulders .... for the detours? will it seem okay for a 3 wheeler (recumbent)?

How is the tent camping in Wilton community campgrounds?

Thanks!

Last edited by TIMOK; 09-08-21 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added addition comment.
Old 09-09-21, 06:38 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Just did a 40mi ride on the Elroy-Sparta Trail. Started in Kendall because of trail closure outside of Elroy and rode 20mi west. The second trail closure heading west is before Wilton and the detour is short on Rt71 but hilly. If remembering correctly Rt71 had wide shoulders. You might not have to detour because they were working on this section and the repair might be completed.

The 40mi up/back from Kendall got us through the three tunnels but not all the way to Sparta. On the third tunnel which is the longest 3/4mi you'll need a rain jacket and as mentioned a headlight.