Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Old 07-10-21, 01:10 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Unless you're at the extremes of the bell curve, desired/needed fit and geometry isn't too hard to come by, IMO.
good point and good to know
Old 07-11-21, 08:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Joearch
I am pleased with the Bianchi Infinito CV Disc. Excellent ride, well built. Di2 $6500.
I will second that. My only complaint is that at 45+ MPH it feels a bit nervous but it could be my Conti 5000 Tls.

Old 07-13-21, 06:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
Also looking for the very best endurance bike and not sure which way to go. LBS push Trek, Giant, and Specialized's offerings but I've owned higher-end Trek and Specialized bikes and found them overwrought, heavy, poor values. Bought a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9, makes the Treks/Specialized feel like junk in comparison and hoped to make it as comfy as possible with a raised stem and fatter tires but it is just so skittish and not confidence-inspiring.

Keep coming back to my OPEN UP which I think is just about the best bike in the world but want a backup bike, an endurance bike with slightly narrower tires for when I get the itch to crush some miles on tarmac. Obviously I'm considering the Endurace from Canyon as I'm sold on their build quality but would really like to step up into the ultra premium range. Considering BMC and Scott's endurance bikes.
I haven't ridden a BMC endurance bike (Roadmachine I think), but pretty much every review I've read of them marks them down for being a bit of a harsh ride compared to their direct competition. To be honest, being a Canyon fan you might as well just get the Endurace. Or how about an OPEN MIN.D, which is basically your UP with slightly narrower tyres and endurance road geo.
Old 07-14-21, 07:52 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I haven't ridden a BMC endurance bike (Roadmachine I think), but pretty much every review I've read of them marks them down for being a bit of a harsh ride compared to their direct competition. To be honest, being a Canyon fan you might as well just get the Endurace. Or how about an OPEN MIN.D, which is basically your UP with slightly narrower tyres and endurance road geo.
Good recommendations - I think this is the direction I am moving in. What I'd REALLY like to try out is the new Scott Gravel Tuned bike and the Cervelo Aspero 5, but I cannot find any dealer in north america with these bikes in stock.
Old 07-15-21, 03:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by basscadet
Good recommendations - I think this is the direction I am moving in. What I'd REALLY like to try out is the new Scott Gravel Tuned bike and the Cervelo Aspero 5, but I cannot find any dealer in north america with these bikes in stock.
I would have thought the Caledonia would be the best match from Cervelo to what you are looking to do here.
Old 07-15-21, 12:29 PM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I just got myself a Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. The bike rides like a Cadillac. It just floats over bumps and irregularities in the road. That seat post may have something to do with it, not sure. It makes my old ride feel like the wheels were square.
Old 07-15-21, 12:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesniffer
I just got myself a Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. The bike rides like a Cadillac. It just floats over bumps and irregularities in the road. That seat post may have something to do with it, not sure. It makes my old ride feel like the wheels were square.
Very nice! I am somewhat local to Canyon and am waiting for Canyon Home to open so I can go look at it in person. (I am hoping that I can order this bike with compact chain rings and a different cassette.)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-16-21, 03:08 PM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Cento10NDR

I built a 2020 Cento10NDR last year when parts were still semi-available. I was coming from a 2010 Argon 18 Krypton.

I can’t say enough good things about it. I’ve never been this comfortable on a road bike. I wanted an endurance frame that didn’t look so “endurancy”, but also incorporated aero features. The taller head tube prevents me from having to use a ton of spacers and the sloping top tube allows me to show at least a little seat post.

The actiflex rear insert helps to prevent getting beaten up, and doesn’t make the frame feel like it suffers from a lack of responsiveness.

The Stemma/ Barra cockpit hide all Di2 wiring and look great, but are freaking expensive at approximately $800 for the stem/handlebar combo.

I think framesets are harder to come by right now.
Likes For dscohen:
Old 07-16-21, 06:48 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
So what did the OP go with?
Old 07-18-21, 12:00 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I bought, and then subsequently sold a Roadmachine. Way too harsh IMO. My Roubaix is far more comfy.
Old 03-14-22, 08:46 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything but I will say that I have definitely expanded the search a bit more. There were a number of different brands I hadn't heard of (or barely knew) so been poking around those sites quite a lot. I think I have determined I probably need to ride a carbon bike and a titanium bike to see if I can determine any differences. Exploring all the custom design for Ti bikes has been intriguing as I could design something 100% to my liking. Building the T-Lap Omini with a slew of upgrades is comparable/cheaper to some other alternatives.

I'm still checking TPC often to see if anything pops up there but hasn't been anything in a while that has peaked my interest. A lot of nice bikes but not quite what I am looking for.

Also I did buy a slew of new (used) parts for an older Klein (started a thread on that too looking for different kind of advice) so that has been taking up a bit more time. Gives me something to tinker with in the garage and learn more about bike wrenching. Doing a 100% rebuild, the only thing original will be the frame/fork but every other part is going to be replaced.
Anything new here?
Old 03-14-22, 09:18 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Anything new here?
Definitely an update here. Ended up pulling the trigger on a new Moots Vamoots RCS. Fully decked out with Dura Ace DI2 9200, Enve SES 4.5 ARs. Adding a Stages left side PM since the actual DA Power Meter isn't going to be around for quite some time. Bike should be in the store this month so should be riding not long after the snow melts up in MN. Will post (an excessive amount of) pictures once I get it.

Who says my kids need to go to college?
Old 03-14-22, 09:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Hard to argue with your decision!

Nothing wrong with the kids borrowing to pay their own way through college.

If you have girls though, you will be hosed come wedding time.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-14-22, 11:58 AM
force10

Definitely an update here. Ended up pulling the trigger on a new Moots Vamoots RCS. Fully decked out with Dura Ace DI2 9200, Enve SES 4.5 ARs. Adding a Stages left side PM since the actual DA Power Meter isn't going to be around for quite some time. Bike should be in the store this month so should be riding not long after the snow melts up in MN. Will post (an excessive amount of) pictures once I get it.

Really cool. I look forward to the pix.

At least you bought a bike that should still be going strong when the kids get through college.
Old 03-14-22, 01:56 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The older BMCs were absolutely amazing. The newer ones seems to be more harsh and stiff. I think the Domane wold be a bit too much and would not be a good climber (certainly nowhere like my BMC which is light and compliant) but I still like the Roubaix and Synapse. I'd prob now lean towards the Roubaix for its future shock and higher stack height. I don't know much about the Canyons but I do see more here in Colorado. I saw a couple on yesterday's ride so I am more curious about them now.
Old 03-14-22, 04:01 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Chandne
The older BMCs were absolutely amazing. The newer ones seems to be more harsh and stiff. I think the Domane wold be a bit too much and would not be a good climber (certainly nowhere like my BMC which is light and compliant) but I still like the Roubaix and Synapse. I'd prob now lean towards the Roubaix for its future shock and higher stack height. I don't know much about the Canyons but I do see more here in Colorado. I saw a couple on yesterday's ride so I am more curious about them now.
I just bought a new Canyon Endurace CF SL8 eTap and I've only ridden a couple of local loops on it, but I'm very impressed. It has even better ride comfort than my Giant Defy (which was quite comfy) and it's a lot quieter. My Defy was always a bit rattly on rough roads, front end mainly. I think the much wider DT Swiss ERC1400 rims make a big difference (22 mm vs 17 mm internal). It came fitted with the latest 30 mm Conti GP5000S TR too, so no skimping there. The split seatpost is very effective and the carbon bars damp out most of the front end vibration, along with the 30 mm tyres and wide rims. Geometry feels good, stable at speed and fairly nimble. It feels a little quicker handling than my Defy, but not night and day different. Overall fit is very similar. Early days yet, but it made a very good first impression on me. I felt right at home on it from the start.

OP, congrats on your new Moots. Quite a departure from your original list, but often the case! So many great options these days.
Old 03-14-22, 07:43 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
That is good information. Sometimes, I think of a Moots. I used to own one. I love Moots. They are in Steamboat Springs, and a few hours away, but I have become such a slave to carbon, future shock, etc.
Old 06-24-22, 04:19 PM
Caliwild

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts

Awesome bike... Looking to possibly order that frameset as well. Any updates? Ride quality? Impressions?
Old 06-24-22, 04:21 PM
Caliwild

Also, any tips on sizing?
Old 06-24-22, 04:25 PM
clichty

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Awesome bike... Looking to possibly order that frameset as well. Any updates? Ride quality? Impressions?
Sadly the bike got backlogged but supposed to be mine in July. It was all ready in Feb however they discovered the 3d printed titanium hangers were bad so that whole batch of bikes had to be scrapped. Sucked at the time but glad I didn’t get a bad bike.

Sizing I got fully fit at my store. I’m 6’0” with normal inseams and the 58 (which really sized like a 57) fits me perfectly.
Old 06-24-22, 06:01 PM
Caliwild

Sadly the bike got backlogged but supposed to be mine in July. It was all ready in Feb however they discovered the 3d printed titanium hangers were bad so that whole batch of bikes had to be scrapped. Sucked at the time but glad I didn’t get a bad bike.

Sizing I got fully fit at my store. I’m 6’0” with normal inseams and the 58 (which really sized like a 57) fits me perfectly.
Ah, I see... Well, glad they caught that. Thanks for the sizing info. Let us know when it arrives!
Old 07-28-22, 02:23 PM
clichty

Update: Bike has arrived

Just picked up my new Moots Vamoots RCS. New DA12 Di2 with a Stages left arm PM (no dual sided available yet). Titanium everything (stem/seatpost/cages) and carbon everything else. Went with Enve 4.5AR SES wheels; a bit more aero given the lack of elevation in the Midwest. Apparently Dura Ace 140 brake rotors don't exist yet so we adapted the rear to a 160 (extra braking power).

Got one of the new Silica titanium mounts however my old Wahoo Bolt didn't fit so I had to get a new one (oh darn). I was thinking about it anyway so apparently now was the time.

Only did a test ride before taking delivery and it was unreal. The sound of riding on the titanium and the Enve Hub was incredible. New DA shifts before your finger even leaves the shifter. Can't wait to give it a proper introduction to the road this weekend.

Likes For clichty:
Old 07-28-22, 02:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Update: Bike has arrived

Just picked up my new Moots Vamoots RCS. New DA12 Di2 with a Stages left arm PM (no dual sided available yet). Titanium everything (stem/seatpost/cages) and carbon everything else. Went with Enve 4.5AR SES wheels; a bit more aero given the lack of elevation in the Midwest. Apparently Dura Ace 140 brake rotors don't exist yet so we adapted the rear to a 160 (extra braking power).

Got one of the new Silica titanium mounts however my old Wahoo Bolt didn't fit so I had to get a new one (oh darn). I was thinking about it anyway so apparently now was the time.

Only did a test ride before taking delivery and it was unreal. The sound of riding on the titanium and the Enve Hub was incredible. New DA shifts before your finger even leaves the shifter. Can't wait to give it a proper introduction to the road this weekend.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that around town. Did you work with the Catfish on this?
Old 07-28-22, 02:31 PM
clichty

Originally Posted by WhyFi

I'll have to keep an eye out for that around town. Did you work with the Catfish on this?
Yup Angry Catfish was fantastic to work with. Great experience all around working with them.
Likes For clichty:
Old 07-28-22, 08:02 PM
force10

Thanks for the update. I’ve been watching this thread since new. 👍