Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost recommendation

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-20-22, 12:22 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts

As the title suggests I am looking for a recommendation to replace the aluminum post on my checkpoint alr5. Setback around 15mm.

I am primarily interested in more compliance. The Canyon Vcls s13 looks great but it’s awfully expensive so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-22, 02:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
https://whiskyparts.co/cockpit/no7_carbon_seatpost#/

It comes in 0 offset or 18mm offset.
For modern seatposts I had only ever used aluminum seatposts from Ritchey and Easton. The Whisky carbon seatpost on my gravel bike definitely flexes more.
I honestly cant say how much more compliant it is as riding was never uncomfortable on the aluminum seatpost, but this Whisky carbon seatpost moves more so its for sure more compliant.

Best part it its $95, well made, and not goofy heavy or anything like that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-20-22, 05:15 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
As the title suggests I am looking for a recommendation to replace the aluminum post on my checkpoint alr5. Setback around 15mm.

I am primarily interested in more compliance. The Canyon Vcls s13 looks great but it’s awfully expensive so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
It's worth it. Its amazing. I was gonna buy one, but it came on my bike, lol. Ergon sells it too. It is a 10 out of 10. Couldn't be better.

I bought the Specialized version (CG-R). Biggest piece of crap I have ever bought for a bike. I'm still pissed about it. Rating 0 out of 10. Never bought a worse product.

you could buy a thudbuster (ST). It ain't cheap, and it ain't light, but it will "fix" any stiffness problems. Rating 7 out of 10 (heavy, more complex than above, still expensive, but works great). I bought it for my tandem, but bought another one I liked it so much.
Likes For chas58:
Old 04-20-22, 05:18 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Is 15mm setback enough for you?

The uno carbon seatpost i've tried was very stiff, and merely offered slightly better road resonance/vibration dampening. If you want actual compliance, you'll have to get a suspension seatpost. I've reviewed both the Suntour SP12 NCX and Satori Animaris on my account.
Old 04-20-22, 05:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For an aluminum frame, I would recommend an aluminum seat post. Google galvanic corrosion.
Old 04-20-22, 06:35 PM
force10

Originally Posted by chas58
It's worth it. Its amazing. I was gonna buy one, but it came on my bike, lol. Ergon sells it too. It is a 10 out of 10. Couldn't be better.

I bought the Specialized version (CG-R). Biggest piece of crap I have ever bought for a bike. I'm still pissed about it. Rating 0 out of 10. Never bought a worse product.

you could buy a thudbuster (ST). It ain't cheap, and it ain't light, but it will "fix" any stiffness problems. Rating 7 out of 10 (heavy, more complex than above, still expensive, but works great). I bought it for my tandem, but bought another one I liked it so much.
I was afraid someone would say that it it was as good as its price. To clarify, I am not looking at the split-style post that they offer.
Old 04-20-22, 06:39 PM
force10

Originally Posted by caloso
For an aluminum frame, I would recommend an aluminum seat post. Google galvanic corrosion.
I am familiar with galvanic corrosion but I've not heard of there being an especial issue with aluminum frames and carbon seat posts - seems fairly common. Perhaps you have experience otherwise?
Old 04-20-22, 06:39 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
chas58

What other seatposts have you tried? I stick to Suntour and Satori because they have the setback I need (24mm.)

What do you think of a suspension stem?
Old 04-20-22, 07:40 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I have been really happy with Satori carbon seatpost and handlebars to add compliance and save weight over alloy w/o spending a ton of money, or worrying about generic Chinese stuff. Looks like you can buy one on Amazon now for $35...no brainer when the same brand name post that Satori makes is $100+.
Old 04-21-22, 10:10 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
My carbon frame bike came with an aluminum seatpost, and my older aluminum frame came with a carbon seatpost. I've also wondered about galvanic corrosion., but have not noticed any issues so far with either combo.

That said, I like the idea of upgrading to a carbon post on my carbon bike - more compliance is better right?. I've read so many horror stories about seat posts on carbon frames slipping and creaking that I've been afraid to switch. Plus my post is an oddball size (25.4mm) so my options are more limited. FSA SL-K comes in that size and seems like a good deal for around $90. Anyone have experience with that one? Zipp and Enve both have options as well, but they are $200+.

Every time I think about this, I conclude that what I have seems to be working so I don't want to mess with it.
Old 04-21-22, 10:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I had a carbon frame that came with an aluminum seatpost that got so stuck that they had to put it in a bench vise and use the bike itself as a lever to twist it out. I replaced it with a carbon post and never had any problem since.
Old 04-21-22, 03:51 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Galvanic corrosion requires dissimilar metals. Carbon fiber composites have no metal content.
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 04-21-22, 04:18 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Ritchey Flexlogic has compliance built in to the carbon construction AFAIK. I have the "Superlogic" post that has the :"flexlogic" tech to it on my titanium road bike. My Turbomatic Team saddle has elastomers under the seat rails but it still is a pretty stiff saddle. I can feel a softening over bumps with this setup on rough pavement.
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-21-22, 04:30 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by pipeliner
Galvanic corrosion requires dissimilar metals. Carbon fiber composites have no metal content.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556
Old 04-21-22, 09:03 PM
force10

I had a carbon frame that came with an aluminum seatpost that got so stuck that they had to put it in a bench vise and use the bike itself as a lever to twist it out. I replaced it with a carbon post and never had any problem since.
That must have been hard to watch.
Old 04-22-22, 06:51 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
It's not cheap but I've been very happy with the Roval Terra seatpost I picked up last year.
Likes For Jazzguitar:
Old 04-22-22, 07:13 AM
force10

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
It's not cheap but I've been very happy with the Roval Terra seatpost I picked up last year.
That was the other one I was considering. Same price as the Canyon vcls.

You dont happen to be using it on an aluminum frame, do you?
Old 04-22-22, 09:54 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I'm gonna be the odd one out; I haven't noticed significant comfort difference between aluminum and carbon seatposts on the same bike back to back with the only change being the seatpost. Granted, I haven't tried the Ergon/Canyon split seatpost nor any of the suspension seatposts.

I had the cheap Kalloy aluminum seatpost and a carbon seatpost from Easton on my Soma Smoothie(I was trying out different setback). I've gone back to the Kalloy, because of the fit. I also tried a cheaper Ebay carbon seatpost that I didn't notice any difference from either.

I do have the Easton carbon seatposts on my Ritchey and my Breadwinner. I wonder if I spent a bit too much on carbon when I could have just gotten a cheaper alloy seatpost, but they look nicer.

I think I notice tire pressure and saddle more than I feel the different rigid carbon or aluminum seatpost. I know a buddy with a thudbuster on his cargo bike that he swears by, but he's not exactly concerned with weight on the Urban Arrow.

I'll add another potential recommendation(with no personal experience) for a PNW dropper/suspension seatpost. I've read some decent review of the Coast(I think?) that comes in 27.2 externally routed dropper. Might be an interesting option.
Likes For Parkyy16:
Old 04-22-22, 01:42 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Moisture
chas58

What other seatposts have you tried? I stick to Suntour and Satori because they have the setback I need (24mm.)

What do you think of a suspension stem?
I've had rockshock telsscoping for a mountain bike (not great for Gravel)
Thudbuster great for gravel, but kinda big and heavy
Specialized CGR - horrid
Canyon/Ergon (single piece) ideal for gravel

I am familiar with galvanic corrosion but I've not heard of there being an especial issue with aluminum frames and carbon seat posts - seems fairly common. Perhaps you have experience otherwise?
Not a problem. Well, you should have some seatpost paste in there or something. If you just leave any seatpost in dry for long enough, it will get stuck.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
That said, I like the idea of upgrading to a carbon post on my carbon bike - more compliance is better right?. I've read so many horror stories about seat posts on carbon frames slipping and creaking that I've been afraid to switch.
You do need to use that gritty carbon paste for a carbon seat tube. Works great with it, rather poorly without...

​​​​​​​yeah, any seat post can get stuck if left in there dry for long enough, true...

Originally Posted by Parkyy16
I'll add another potential recommendation(with no personal experience) for a PNW dropper/suspension seatpost. I've read some decent review of the Coast(I think?) that comes in 27.2 externally routed dropper. Might be an interesting option.
I don't use a dropper, but I've heard their biggest problem for gravel is how stiff they are.

Last edited by chas58; 04-22-22 at 01:50 PM.
Likes For chas58:
Old 04-22-22, 01:57 PM
chas58

I was afraid someone would say that it it was as good as its price. To clarify, I am not looking at the split-style post that they offer.
I'll summarize.
Not knowing what I had, I was gonna replace it, but was quite pleasantly surprised - amazed actually.
1) the first couple of weeks I would get off my bike 1/2 way through a ride and check my tire pressure. It road so smooth that I was convinced I had a leak in my rear tire.
2) last fall I was cruising along (20mph) some of the most horrid washboard I had ever seen, amazed at how smooth the ride was on my 32mm tires. I had totally given up on these roads 15 years ago because that washboard was such a nightmare to ride on with the equipment of the time.

Caveats -
its not a full sus bike. you are going to feel a pothole and hard hits that a mountain bike can take in stride. But it works wonders on the the chatter we get with gravel
Ya need a lot of exposed seat post - the more the better. If you only have 4-5" its not gonna be effective.
Alternative - I've heard the redshift seatpost is nice (and expensive), but it takes
Old 04-22-22, 05:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Getting compliance— i.e. physical deflection, also bump response— of the seatpost is not really a thing with typical seatpost construction, but if you have enough seatpost extension out of the frame, titanium will flex/deflect more than aluminum or carbon fiber. What carbon fiber posts can deliver is vibration damping, because of the CF structure. Personally, I don’t think there’s much in different seatpost material either way, so really it’s just about weight, clamp mechanism, and looks to me. That said, if I was going for marginal comfort gains, I’d go with titanium, but only if I was running a lot of extension, otherwise CF would be the easy choice.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-22-22, 08:51 PM
force10

Originally Posted by chas58
I'll summarize.
Not knowing what I had, I was gonna replace it, but was quite pleasantly surprised - amazed actually.
1) the first couple of weeks I would get off my bike 1/2 way through a ride and check my tire pressure. It road so smooth that I was convinced I had a leak in my rear tire.
2) last fall I was cruising along (20mph) some of the most horrid washboard I had ever seen, amazed at how smooth the ride was on my 32mm tires. I had totally given up on these roads 15 years ago because that washboard was such a nightmare to ride on with the equipment of the time.

Caveats -
its not a full sus bike. you are going to feel a pothole and hard hits that a mountain bike can take in stride. But it works wonders on the the chatter we get with gravel
Ya need a lot of exposed seat post - the more the better. If you only have 4-5" its not gonna be effective.
Alternative - I've heard the redshift seatpost is nice (and expensive), but it takes
Thanks for all that. Particularly the caveat about the length of exposed seatpost. I haven’t seen that mentioned before and it makes sense. I have about 5.5 inches exposed, which I guess will make for a pretty marginal improvement.
Old 04-22-22, 10:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
At 97 grams (actual) & 315€ delivered to the USA I couldn't be more pleased. By far the most comfortable seat post I have ever owned.

Beware of eBay Hong Kong knock-offs. The real deal comes from Spain & requires you initiate an order via email.

My Darimo posts are mated to 91 gram AX-Lightness Leaf II Plus saddles. Better than the Brooks they replaced...& that's sayin' sumthin'! For 280€ each they'd better.

I don't know than many people would care to drop $650-$700 USD on a 188 gram saddle & post...& not even that such a ridiculous extravagance makes sense. I'm only saying that it is super comfortable & was enough so that I did it 2x for 2 bikes & would do so again if another such windfall happened along my way.

Highly recommended...In a once in a lifetime kind of way.

Last edited by base2; 04-26-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 09:08 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
That was the other one I was considering. Same price as the Canyon vcls.

You dont happen to be using it on an aluminum frame, do you?
No, I'm using it on a carbon frame. You should be fine on aluminum, just use some friction paste.
Likes For Jazzguitar:
Old 04-23-22, 07:21 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Ritchey Flexlogic has compliance built in to the carbon construction AFAIK. I have the "Superlogic" post that has the :"flexlogic" tech to it on my titanium road bike. My Turbomatic Team saddle has elastomers under the seat rails but it still is a pretty stiff saddle. I can feel a softening over bumps with this setup on rough pavement.
I have the Superlogic Link Seatpost and it's great. Super light and just a hint of compliance to it. Pricey, but worth it. It has a 15mm setback. So does the WCS Carbon Link Flexlogic Seatpost which has the same compliance, a bit cheaper and a bit more weight.

I love Ritchey stems and seatposts and have them on both of my bikes.
Likes For KJ43:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.