Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Luxury European (Italy?) Tour Recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-23-22, 05:15 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Looking for recommended options for tour groups that are more focused on riding and on the luxury end of the spectrum. Would also be for more of a guys trip, so less focused on a couples trip. Obviously want great food as well. A few options have been Duvine and ingamba that seem to fit the bill. Does anyone have other recommendations for similar types of companies with a high end, cycling first focus?
Old 08-25-22, 08:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
I haven’t been on their tours, but I’ve bought stuff and been following the touring activities of The Cycling House for years, and what they do seems like it should be right up your alley: https://thecyclinghouse.com/trip/cyc...ation-tuscany/
Old 08-25-22, 08:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Trek is now in the business of guided tours, including some in Italy. Some of their packages seem like they're just what you're after. One I read about is several days long, but only 20 to 30-ish miles each day, with plenty of attention given to the après ride experience: good food, wine, accommodations. You can take your own bike or use one of their rentals. There's a link on their website (same site for their bikes and accessories).

I'm more interested in adventure touring, but think I would also enjoy a luxury experience. I was in Italy and Germany for summer of 2019 and would love to go back. I'd want to ride bikes (with a good local guide, of course), preferably along the coast. I'd work in a side-trip to western Slovenia for mountain biking and zip lining (actually did the latter). And in Germany, I'd want to take a river cruise on the Rhein and/or Mosul.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-25-22 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 07:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Broctoon yeah, I have some clubmates who did a Trek tour down in N. Carolina (IIRC) and loved it so much that they came back and started evangelizing the rest of us to join them for a Trek tour in Spain next month! I couldn’t go, but I think five from the club are going to be on it.
Old 08-26-22, 03:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Andy Hampsten has a tour company, looks nice on the website :-)
https://www.cinghiale.com/
Old 08-26-22, 04:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by chaadster
Broctoon yeah, I have some clubmates who did a Trek tour down in N. Carolina (IIRC) and loved it so much that they came back and started evangelizing the rest of us to join them for a Trek tour in Spain next month! I couldn’t go, but I think five from the club are going to be on it.
I've visited several European countries, but only three where I traveled extensively and stayed for more than a day or two. They are Germany, Italy, and Spain. I would recommend Spain without hesitation. Italy is a beautiful and welcoming place; Spain is likewise and perhaps more affordable. Do you like ham? Spaniards eat it with almost every meal. What about wine? In that country it's often less expensive than bottled water, ounce for ounce.
Old 08-26-22, 05:29 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Luxury food and accomodation is kinda wasted on a cycle trip. After a long day in the saddle any bed is luxury and any food is a feast.
Old 08-26-22, 05:52 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by znomit
Luxury food and accomodation is kinda wasted on a cycle trip. After a long day in the saddle any bed is luxury and any food is a feast.
I guess that's often true.

Some folks don't want to tour on bikes in a way that involves long, exhausting days. They want to experience the landscape and culture as can only be done from a bike, but without breaking much of a sweat or getting hungry and tired. Nothing wrong with that.

I love the idea of wearing myself out completely, each of several consecutive days; of getting filthy, stinky, sunburned and bug-bitten; of surviving on Spam and crackers; and being glad for a cot or sleeping bag each night. But that's not for everyone, and it's not only the 5-star jet set that rejects this style of touring. I think there's a group of people who have a bit of money but don't mind roughing it just a little. They are okay with riding 25 miles per day and afterward would like to be pampered just a little.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-26-22 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 07:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Not a tour, but I spent some time here in 2013:

Bicycle Tours in Italy

Day rides in beautiful areas steeped in WW I history. The start of the climb to Monte Grappa is only a couple of miles away. And you can take a non-riding day to visit Venice. The meals were excellent, with lots to choose from, and lunch and dinner include table wine at no extra cost.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-22, 10:19 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've visited several European countries, but only three where I traveled extensively and stayed for more than a day or two. They are Germany, Italy, and Spain. I would recommend Spain without hesitation. Italy is a beautiful and welcoming place; Spain is likewise and perhaps more affordable. Do you like ham? Spaniards eat it with almost every meal. What about wine? In that country it's often less expensive than bottled water, ounce for ounce.
Oh, I was disappointed just have missed that particular trip, not to have missed a chance to go to Spain; I’ve been to Spain several times, often in the capacity of my work as a wine importer. 😉