Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Scratching a more recent itch

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Scratching a more recent itch

Old 08-30-22, 03:45 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Great looking bike Andy, and personally I dig scratches. It means I won't make it look that much worse when I scratch it.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-30-22, 03:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Great looking bike Andy, and personally I dig scratches. It means I won't make it look that much worse when I scratch it.
THis bike is in such nice shape that I normally wouldn't worry about it at all, but the biggest scratch is the one right below the seat stay cap, and I'm going to spend a lot of time looking at that seat stay cap.
Old 08-30-22, 04:24 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Really nice Andy. Not sure I saw this one on our local CL...
Yeah, I didn't see it until it was shared on FB. I'm not sure how it flew under the radar so long. CL said it had been there for a month.
Old 08-30-22, 06:11 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,508 Times in 1,049 Posts
Great classic frame, Campy 3x10 drivetrain . . . sounds pretty darn good to me.

Beautiful frame. Enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 08-30-22, 07:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yep always a bit of a crap shoot, I harpooned myself when I agreed to let them look for another color. I told them I wanted a little darker not but that dark and had no idea they weren't going to let me have any say in spending another $150 for it. By the time I researched it, found out it can be very orange sometimes, it was way too late "we already started, it looks fine". Uh ok I guess I'll have to be good with it and I was but not the way it should have gone IME.

I know its a very fickle thing, paint is brutally hard to match, my buddy is a world class painter and has way too many stories of it going wrong despite his best efforts. Everybody's perception is different, to red or too dark, too bright or too much metallic, too shiny or too much pearl, too light or .

It can be and often is a nightmare on a good day.
I am in process of getting some paintwork done.......still months off.

you start with a vision and then, maybe lug lines, ok what about head tube color....not that color is boring, oh wow that works, then you talk to the painter and get some ideas and then give them a degree of artistic freedom I am sure it will come out fantastic but think bright bright kandy apple green and kandy apple magenta accents

Old 08-30-22, 08:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am in process of getting some paintwork done.......still months off.

you start with a vision and then, maybe lug lines, ok what about head tube color....not that color is boring, oh wow that works, then you talk to the painter and get some ideas and then give them a degree of artistic freedom I am sure it will come out fantastic but think bright bright kandy apple green and kandy apple magenta accents
Yep, that's what you think when you walk into a place like Black Magic and talk to them but then they say "if we don't use a stock color, its hard to get it right without spending a lot more money" uh ok what do you suggest without spend a lot more money? "We can try to find something that might work just using the base coat for another $150." Ok, then wait, WHAT?, what do you mean its way darker and its already started.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-01-22, 03:25 PM
Andy_K 

I was scouring the interwebs last night, trying to find some clues as to what model this bike might be, and I came across the following statement from @T-Mar on a thread from a couple of years ago:

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Campagnolo dropouts are non-Portacatena, which would make it no earlier than circa 1984. Pinarello introduced their eponymous dropouts circa 1987. Consequently, it should be circa 1984-1986. The Treviso didn't have a brazed-on front derailleur hanger though 1985 but did in 1987. I'm not sure about 1986. In 1984-1985, there was a model called the Super Record Special which was basically a Treviso with a front derailleur braze-on.
Hey! My bike looks an awful lot like a Treviso with a front derailleur braze-on, and it has non-Portcatena dropouts, and I got it with a Super Record gruppo that has the right date codes to be original equipment on this bike. So, unless anyone has evidence to bring to the contrary, I'm calling this a 1984 Pinarello Super Record Special. Clever guy, that T-Mar, he answered my question two years before I asked it.

I've been very impatient with this one. I decided to just move all the components over from another bike to this one. Everything except the bottom bracket came straight across. I didn't even unwrap the handlebar. Now I've got an Allez that needs new components but on the plus side, I was able to take the Pinarello out for a ride this morning. I think I'm in love.

Old 09-01-22, 04:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@Andy_K

Sounds like an SR Allez is the answer.
Old 09-01-22, 04:26 PM
Andy_K 

@Andy_K

Sounds like an SR Allez is the answer.
​​​​​​
That would be perfect as a wall hanger, but I want to be able to ride it.
Old 09-01-22, 04:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've been very impatient with this one. I decided to just move all the components over from another bike to this one. Everything except the bottom bracket came straight across. I didn't even unwrap the handlebar. Now I've got an Allez that needs new components but on the plus side, I was able to take the Pinarello out for a ride this morning. I think I'm in love.
Good move. Doesn't that Allez need paint?
Old 09-01-22, 05:03 PM
merziac

​​​​​​
That would be perfect as a wall hanger, but I want to be able to ride it.
Nah, its just funky old SR, NBD anymore.
Old 09-01-22, 05:06 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Good move. Doesn't that Allez need paint?
Only sort of...I painted some bare spots myself with Rust Oleum. Right now, I think it looks really good.

After 1000 miles of riding it might not. Of course, after 1000 miles of riding the Pinarello is going to need new decals.
Old 09-01-22, 05:09 PM
Andy_K 

Nah, its just funky old SR, NBD anymore.
I meant that the gearing would make it a wall hanger for me. I can't do anything but pancake flat with a 53-42 crankset. I could tripleize it like I did my Gios, but how many bikes do I need like that?
Old 09-01-22, 05:12 PM
merziac

I meant that the gearing would make it a wall hanger for me. I can't do anything but pancake flat with a 53-42 crankset. I could tripleize it like I did my Gios, but how many bikes do I need like that?
All of them.

Or most of them.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-03-22, 11:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I was scouring the interwebs last night, trying to find some clues as to what model this bike might be, and I came across the following statement from @T-Mar on a thread from a couple of years ago:

Hey! My bike looks an awful lot like a Treviso with a front derailleur braze-on, and it has non-Portcatena dropouts, and I got it with a Super Record gruppo that has the right date codes to be original equipment on this bike. So, unless anyone has evidence to bring to the contrary, I'm calling this a 1984 Pinarello Super Record Special. Clever guy, that T-Mar, he answered my question two years before I asked it.

The fly in that ointment is the presence of the pump peg. The only Pinarello with a pump peg in 1984 was the Gran Turismo, which this definitely is not. Pump pegs don't even appear in the 1985 catalogue, though they could have be introduced part way though the 1985 model year. Of course, the decals are an earlier set, so we also can't rule out a repaint and the pump peg being an addition. However, the component most likely to be OEM, is the headset, and it appears to be SR, so it likely is a Super Record Special.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-03-22, 12:34 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The fly in that ointment is the presence of the pump peg. The only Pinarello with a pump peg in 1984 was the Gran Turismo, which this definitely is not. Pump pegs don't even appear in the 1985 catalogue, though they could have be introduced part way though the 1985 model year. Of course, the decals are an earlier set, so we also can't rule out a repaint and the pump peg being an addition. However, the component most likely to be OEM, is the headset, and it appears to be SR, so it likely is a Super Record Special.
Thanks!

The pump peg is the same style as that on my Gran Turismo -- an odd flat-head type -- so I didn't even think to question that. The decals are all the same as that one too.
Old 09-03-22, 02:31 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 176 Posts
That Itch

Hey AK, Maybe we can get the two Pinarellos on a ride together someday soon!
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 09-03-22, 06:50 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
Hey AK, Maybe we can get the two Pinarellos on a ride together someday soon!
Sounds like a great idea!