Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Disasters Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Disasters Thread

Old 09-04-22, 04:41 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
Shi*mano?
Yeah. Ultegra even. Clearly it was no match for my mighty power once the chain jammed.
Old 09-04-22, 07:18 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12

Getting checked into the hospital in Atascadero after my face plant . Eroica 2018. “ Does this mean I can’t finish?” Broken hand and five broken bones in my face….”Doh”
I can vouch for how much persuading it took to make kabuki12 understand that straightening the bars and getting back on the bike were bad ideas. (@Choke can vouch for this, too - he was there.) I saw the crash; Joe went down hard. He wanted to get up and keep going. Fortunately, I am bigger than he is and I am pretty insistent in these matters. After a few minutes of enforced sitting down and letting the adrenaline wear off, Joe realized he was in no shape to keep going and saw the wisdom of getting into the sag wagon that happened along right then.

This is a lesson for us all. It was not at all obvious how badly he was hurt. Pros are paid to get back up right away and keep going. We aren't. Make sure the crash victim (you or someone else) really is okay before even thinking about letting yourself/them continue the ride. That means sitting down for at least ten or fifteen minutes, preferably with your/their head between your/their knees. Or better yet, lying down with feet higher than the head. Shock will probably come, and being on a bike when it hits is not a good thing.
Old 09-04-22, 08:32 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Old 09-04-22, 08:33 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I can vouch for how much persuading it took to make kabuki12 understand that straightening the bars and getting back on the bike were bad ideas. (@Choke can vouch for this, too - he was there.) I saw the crash; Joe went down hard. He wanted to get up and keep going. Fortunately, I am bigger than he is and I am pretty insistent in these matters. After a few minutes of enforced sitting down and letting the adrenaline wear off, Joe realized he was in no shape to keep going and saw the wisdom of getting into the sag wagon that happened along right then.

This is a lesson for us all. It was not at all obvious how badly he was hurt. Pros are paid to get back up right away and keep going. We aren't. Make sure the crash victim (you or someone else) really is okay before even thinking about letting yourself/them continue the ride. That means sitting down for at least ten or fifteen minutes, preferably with your/their head between your/their knees. Or better yet, lying down with feet higher than the head. Shock will probably come, and being on a bike when it hits is not a good thing.
I agree and this comes from personal experience. I once took a fall when I hit wet, newly painted lane markings. I was only doing about 12 MPH. I thought I only needed a few stitches to my head and I was about 5 miles from home. So, I told the guys riding with me that I was going to ride home, get cleaned up and drive myself to the ER. They insisted that I wait for an ambulance. I walked into the ambulance with no problem and after a 10 minute ride to the hospital, I couldn't walk out of the ambulance. It turned out that I had snapped off the pubic arch on my right pelvis. I imagine what damage I could have done if I rode those 5 miles on it.

Last edited by gearbasher; 09-04-22 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 09-04-22, 11:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Chemical handlebar stem removal gone wrong.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-05-22, 10:14 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
No pics, but several years ago now, in Seattle, I was taking a breather at that fishing pier down by Myrtle Edwards Park (closed now). I had some trash to throw away, and thought I could easily ride the 20 feet (?) to the trash can, one-handed.🙄

Little did I know, there was a small yappy dog waiting for me, so he could run in front of me. Like a total idiot, I hit the FRONT brake, and went over the bars, in a really cool slow-motion, and somehow landed on my right elbow.

It really didn't hurt at all, but I decided to walk awhile, and gradually lost the ability to bend my elbow. Decided to hit the hospital, and found out I had chipped off a huge part of my elbow bone, and was rewarded with a screw to hold things in place.

The worst part, was learning to do things left-handed, while it healed, when I'm a righty.
Old 09-05-22, 11:21 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Three decades ago. Riding home after a long day. Buzzing sound speeds toward me. Split second, bam! Wasp sting above eye socket. Intense pain. Eyes shut. Crash into disused and garbage strewn empty lot by the roadside. Lucky no traffic. Swat at my face, nothing. Head in hands, helmet off. Splash water on face. Finally pick myself up, squinting, pain shooting though eye socket. Walk the last few miles home. By then eye is swollen completely shut. Days go by before swelling reduces enough to see out that eye. I still hate wasps.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 09-06-22, 03:57 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Three decades ago. Riding home after a long day. Buzzing sound speeds toward me. Split second, bam! Wasp sting above eye socket. Intense pain. Eyes shut. Crash into disused and garbage strewn empty lot by the roadside. Lucky no traffic. Swat at my face, nothing. Head in hands, helmet off. Splash water on face. Finally pick myself up, squinting, pain shooting though eye socket. Walk the last few miles home. By then eye is swollen completely shut. Days go by before swelling reduces enough to see out that eye. I still hate wasps.
I know that pain! When I rode in SE Texas, I’d get stung on a bike at least 3x per year. Over the years, I became more allergic to any kind of sting and it became a bit of a problem. It’s part of the price you pay for getting to ride year round down there!

​​​
Old 09-06-22, 10:47 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Riding home after a long day. Buzzing sound speeds toward me. Split second, bam! Wasp sting above eye socket. Intense pain. Eyes shut. Crash into disused and garbage strewn empty lot by the roadside. Lucky no traffic. Swat at my face, nothing. Head in hands, helmet off. Splash water on face. Finally pick myself up, squinting, pain shooting though eye socket.
Sorry, but I feel like this could be a great slapstick comedy scene. Then junkyard dog chase, jump over fence into tar pit...
Likes For jethin:
Old 09-08-22, 06:12 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
I bit it once while ghost riding a cursed Stella Arctic Cat like 6 miles. Whacked my leg good, and slightly tweaked one of the bikes.

That Stella was a basket case disaster, down to the stuck stem with 7mm stem bolts. Somebody else had a thread about one awhile back that was a pain, and I could totally relate.
Thought of your post today as I was ghost riding two miles in boston traffic to sell a fixie. Ghost riding a fixie is possibly more dangerous than ghost riding a normal bike!! I didn't get hurt, but I didn't like it! The bike wasn't selling, so I was getting desperate - prepared to deliver it a short distance for a buyer that was actually willing to show up!

Of course, I had that rap song "ghost ride the whip" by Mistah Fab stuck in my head the whole way as well. Great for my focus.

On a longer ghost ride, when I was in my 20s, I had to go across a drawbridge with the metal grates and lost traction on the ghostridden bike which then crashed into me bringing us both down (me and Casper that is). Both bikes got flat front tires, I think from pinching on the grates as they bound against each other, and I was somewhat banged up and bruised.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-08-22 at 06:29 PM.