Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano recall success!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano recall success!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 11:45 AM
cwilly8

Bikes: 1998 Litespeed Classic, 2017 Fuji SL 3.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano recall success!

My father-in-law was about to throw out his 25-year old hybrid bike -- a Univega Via Carisma. Instead, I got it and started refurbing it for a general purpose knock-around bike. While searching for tips for crank and bottom bracket removal, I ended up at a Shimano web page stating that the crank in question (FC-MC12) had a recall (circa 1996). There was an 800 number, so I called it and -- much to my surprise -- actually got a Shimano tech on the other end. He stated that they still honor the recall, and that besides the crank, they would replace the bottom bracket, front derailleur, and chain. However, they could not deal directly with me, only through a LBS.
Call me skeptical ... but I went to our small town LBS, explained what Shimano had said, and gave him the info. Five weeks later these parts arrived from Shimano. Top-of-the-line? Absolutely not! But terrific for a 25-year old bike. Thanks to Shimano and our LBS the bike will live again!

Old 11-17-20, 02:18 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I looked into the same deal a while back when I was in the process of waking up my 1995 Trek 730 Multitrack, and learned about the 1997 recall. That bike, too, had the FC-MC12 cranks.

I chose not to go that route, but I think it's very cool that Shimano continue to support that recall.

I replaced the FC-MC12 cranks with some used FC-MC16 ones.
Old 11-17-20, 04:44 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I'm totally impressed they're honouring a recall more than 20 years later.

It speaks really well about them.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-17-20, 04:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
That's truly impressive!
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-17-20, 06:40 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Wow, good for Shimano. I remember getting a new Shimano cassette from a shop that freakishly had two of the same sized cogs in it. Told the shop, Shimano wanted it back pronto, gave me two new cassettes as a replacement. Very impressed.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 11-17-20, 06:56 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I'm totally impressed they're honouring a recall more than 20 years later.

It speaks really well about them.
no, it speaks about the law. Safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product, with some exceptions. The expected lifespan of a non-defective crank is pretty much forever, so shimano don't really have any choice about it.
Likes For dscheidt:
Old 11-17-20, 07:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's impressive. Yeah, sure, recalls are forever, but some companies won't honor recalls or extended warranties. Been there, done that, with Subaru, Commodore and Nikon.

My 1993 Univega Via Carisma components (Exage, mostly 500CX) seem fine and apparently weren't subject to the recall. But it's still impressive that Shimano will honor it without forcing the customer to jump through flaming hoops.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-18-20, 12:42 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
no, it speaks about the law. Safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product, with some exceptions. The expected lifespan of a non-defective crank is pretty much forever, so shimano don't really have any choice about it.
And the FD, bottom bracket and chain were also unsafe it seems.
Old 11-18-20, 01:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
What’s more surprising, given the regular shakeups in the bike industry, is that Shimano today is still Shimano of 1996. Not just corporate continuity but same product lines in same niches.

I think the other parts must be included to bring the bike up to date to use the replacement cranks.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-18-20, 02:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think the other parts must be included to bring the bike up to date to use the replacement cranks.
True. For the first years of the recall, only the cranks were provided.
Old 11-18-20, 08:11 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
And the FD, bottom bracket and chain were also unsafe it seems.
They're required to use the new crank. Different spindle length means new BB is required. different crank requires different derailleur. I guess they want you to shift easily, so that's why you get a new chain. What shimmano has supplied as part of the recall has changed over time, as cranks have required different stuff. Originally, you just go a new crank, because it fit on the existing BB.
Old 11-18-20, 08:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
glad to read something positive come from that brand's name in recent light.
Old 11-18-20, 10:14 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Have to call the LBS tomorrow, I dropped one of these off back in Feb before the SHTF and checked twice over the summer to no luck. Got a bike waiting for them if they ever arrive. Guy wanted to know how I even knew of the recall, had to explain that I was replacing them regularly 21 years ago and did enough to never forget. I rehab bikes to give to needy people and these things are nice when they show up, lets you really get a bike running better.
Old 11-18-20, 10:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Shimano doesn't have a huge choice as it is a recall but good they sent you some other parts as well.

Shimano is usually pretty good about warranty and recall stuff. Obviously it is super tough these days as parts are hard to get and hence why I didn't even bother trying to build up my Specialized Sequoia frameset. I am waiting on a warranty on my rear brake caliper on my MTB and that is going to take some time to get in. I am not hurting for bikes but did want to get in one ride on my newest mountain bike before years end.
Old 08-12-22, 06:45 AM
Kiro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to add onto this experience for others stumbling upon this in the future:

I'm fixing up my 1996 Raleigh USA M-80 with the FC MC12 cranks. I've spent many hours on this bike in the early 2000's. It slept in the basement for the last ~8 years, and now I'm giving it some overdue TLC to start riding it more again. While googling parts I stumbled across this thread (among others) and thought I would give the recall action a try from Europe. So far, I was amazed at Shimano's due diligence!

According to Shimano BeNeLux (North-Western Europe), this recall has expired and they will not honor it. Not sure if this is a difference between EU and US regulations, if it has actually finally expired in the past 2 years, or if Shimano reps in the EU are just a bit less forthcoming than in the US.
In any case I'll be on the lookout for replacement cranks :-)
(They should be fine if they've went this long, but things like this get between your ears I guess...)
Old 08-12-22, 08:51 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiro
In any case I'll be on the lookout for replacement cranks :-)
I was in a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago, but I was "waking up" my bike from an even longer slumber!

Even though Shimano was still honoring that recall, the solution I used at the time was to find a decent set of FC-MC16 crank arms. Those look like the FC-MC12, and fit the same triple chainring assembly.

There are of course many other ways to approach this; that's just what I did.
Old 08-12-22, 09:05 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
It's very simple, let me explain:

Here in America people love to sue for everything, and the courts are very friendly to people who sue. If Shimano refuses to honor a recall and someone has an accident, that person will immediately sue Shimano for 40 million dollars, and Shimano will lose. Shimano America is not a nice company. They just know from their lawyers that it's better to send out a free $30 crank than to lose $40 million in a lawsuit.
Likes For Yan:
Old 08-12-22, 10:30 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 88 Posts
The Shimano recall of the 3 cranks was a "Voluntary Recall". That's the first step in the CPSC's procedure. Ask the company to do the right thing. Give the manufacturer a chance to act on the issue. The company is required to submit a action plan for approval. Next step is hire lawyers to fight a "mandatory recall". IMO, it's cheaper to send out new cranks than to argue with the government, even after 20+ years. Just 1 jury decision could cost the company more than all the replacements. The US auto industry is the prime example of endless legal fights. They think they can afford it.

I have one recall crank, tagged with the affected model numbers at our local coop for visual reference. If we spot one, we replace it with another used crank from the parts bins. In 10 years, with about 5,000 bikes donated, very few had those cranks. Shimano makes so many versions of each component, each revised every few years, no one part number is dominant.

re: FC-CT90, FC-M290, FC-MC12.
Old 08-12-22, 10:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The failure caused by the flaw in those crankarms was common and the results could be quite severe. I think it is a no-brainer to send out a basic set of cranks (probably costs them ~$10 max per claim), even 25 years later, rather than deal with a single lawsuit.
Old 08-12-22, 02:32 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Other manufacturers have found a less than helpful way around this. For example, 35 years worth of Sears Craftsman radial arm saws have a recall*. Instead of offering you a new $1000 saw, or a fix that makes it safer, they offer $50 after you’ve proven you took your own time to make the saw inoperable per their directions. Shimano could easily offer $20, or just a crank arm, vs. also including a new BB, chain, and derailer.

*I personally think the recall is a fine case of ambulance chasing lawyers going after deep pockets, but that’s not relevant to this. Turns out powered saws can cut things, go figure.
Old 09-17-22, 04:45 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Update for September 2022. My 1995 Specialized Rockhopper had the recalled cranks. I contact the local Specialized dealer. They reached out to Shimano. Took the RH in today. They received and will install new crank arm, bottom bracket, chain rings, front derailleur, and chain at no charge to me. Nice.
Likes For Inusuit: