Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat pedals for toe clips?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-19-22, 04:13 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

Time to replace my 10 yo pedals that I was using with toe clips.

Any recommendations for modern decent quality pedals that can last?

Good quality flats I see on internet these days don't accept toe clips and those that can, come with a combination of a single cheap ball bearing and a plastic sleeve that holds the other side of the pedal axle.
Old 09-19-22, 04:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Check out MKS pedals. They still have toe clip seed styles available, though you might have to settle for track style models.

If you search diligently you'll find lots of offerings, either used or NOS.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-20-22, 09:57 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Good quality cup/cone quill pedals can last a long time. But they are just like hubs in that they need to be maintained and properly adjusted.

The typical MKS road model is the Sylvan. Cup/cone pedals don’t need a “break-in” period. If they are not smooth, open them up, and make sure they are greased, and adjust them.

I can’t speak of the build quality of the new MKS pedals vs. the ones from the 80’s, but 10 years seems too short of a pedal life.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-20-22, 12:29 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Here's one more endorsement for MKS pedals. Great quality at a nice price. Many styles to suit most needs.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-20-22, 06:12 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Good quality cup/cone quill pedals can last a long time. But they are just like hubs in that they need to be maintained and properly adjusted.

The typical MKS road model is the Sylvan. Cup/cone pedals don’t need a “break-in” period. If they are not smooth, open them up, and make sure they are greased, and adjust them.

I can’t speak of the build quality of the new MKS pedals vs. the ones from the 80’s, but 10 years seems too short of a pedal life.

John
Thank you. Watched a few videos on how to service tge Sylvan, seems to be a straight forward task. I just placed an order for Sylvan Touring pedals, I'm sure they will be fine.

​​
Old 09-20-22, 08:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
There is a handy dust cap removal tool which is very helpful in doing the required maintenance. Search on "MKS pedal dust cap spanner". IME most pedals come skimpily greased and adjusted too tight from the factory.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-20-22, 08:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
What pedals are you replacing?

I'd look at the MKS "Urban Platform" pedal. It's derived from the venerable Lyotard mod. 23 pedal, and has a wide tab for easy entry into the clip. My only objection to it is that it doesn't accommodate slotted cleats, but if you're not using cleats, that isn't an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Urban-Pla.../dp/B007T3F1DM
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-21-22, 04:19 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What pedals are you replacing?
Old budget cup and cone Wellgo's that came with the bike. I might regrease them and put on another bike.