Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Putting my thoughts together for a dropper

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 03:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts

Last summer I got a 100mm 27.2 PNW dropper for a mountain bike I was riding. I did this knowing that I wouldn’t have that bike too much longer and that I could put said dropper on my Swiss Cross.

Sold that bike awhile ago and am about to return to my garage (haven’t been home since March) to grab my Swiss Cross and some parts. That dropper is in my short term plan.

Im trying to think through this. The bike is externally routed and the post is designed for that. I should only need cable and housing and a lever.

Get the length right, trim it, hook it all up, rewrap the bar and Bob’s your uncle, I’ve got a dropper on my gravel bike.

Is there a particular type of drop bar dropper lever I should look for? 1x gravel bike set up to be ridden on the hoods but the drops are in reach, they will get used on certain descents?

My other micro-dilemma is whether to get a new seat. In theory, I could get a 170gm saddle to replace the 270gm one currently on my carbon post. That won’t offset the weight gain from the dropper but would, um, well, it would be 100gm lighter.

It would be kinda cool to set it up so I could remove the entire dropper setup for more roadtastic days, but aesthetically I can’t abide with unused cables hanging or routing the cable outside of the bar tape. So probably won’t be doing that.

I do find it amusing that I had a 20lb steel bike with metal wheels to start. Between the Redshift stem, the dual sided pedals, the Archer Trail Shifter, and now this, I’ll probably be 2 or 3 lbs heavier. And it’ll be glorious.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-15-22, 12:55 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I’m running the PNW Costal Dropper Post, similar in specs the the PNW Dropper Post you mentioned. I’m using the 31.8mm PNW Drop Lever Kit mounted on my flats. They also offer a Drop Lever Kit in 24mm for mounting in the drops. If I had to do it over again, I would would add it to the drops, as I tend to be spending a lot more time there… time will tell when I go from a 420mm 0 degree flare bar to a 480mm with 20 degree flare.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...39636140163149

31.8 PNW Drop Bar Lever Kit mounted on LH side of the stem. I wish I would have mounted it up closer to my hoods.

PNW Coastal Seat Post on 2022 Trek 520 Grando PNW Coastal Specs: Routing Method: Internal and External options Diameters: 27.2mm, 30.9mm, 31.6mm Travel: 100mm (27.2 diameter), 120mm (30.9 / 31.6 diameter) Stanchion Diameter: 22mm (27.2 diameter), 26mm (30.9 / 31.6 diameter) Seatpost Material: 7075 Alloy (27.2mm models use a steel stanchion) Cartridge Style: Hydraulic Dual-Chamber Air with adjustable pressure. Lever Compatability: Compatible with all PNW levers and most cable actuated

My naked 520 Grando.
Old 07-15-22, 06:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
^ what are the 2 extra bars for off the handlebars?

It looks like a dropper lever, quad lock, and light mount are on them...those seem like they would fit on you drop bars. what else do you carry?
Old 07-15-22, 07:07 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

It looks like a dropper lever, quad lock, and light mount are on them...those seem like they would fit on you drop bars. what else do you carry?
yes those are light mount, Quadlock for my iPhone, and dropper lever… the other bar is where I attaché my handlebar bag… or strap a dry bag with food. Those would fit on my bars, but this opens up my flats so I can use most of the real estate for my hands
Old 07-15-22, 08:43 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Cockpit view with my bag and tent strapped onto the bottom accessory bar. (Phone is in my hand to take pictures with)

Full side view with bag and tent
Likes For M Rose:
Old 07-18-22, 12:34 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I just assumed they were handlebars for one of those toddler seat things.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-31-22, 09:16 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

A move across the country, some family gatherings, and a completely necessary diversion into alpine climbing delayed the project.

Ill get it done today unless something funny comes up. That and a brand new set of brown/tan gravelkings. It’s gonna be sick. I’ll post a picture this afternoon.

100 degrees for the next several days, hopefully I can wake up early tomorrow and give it a ride.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-02-22, 10:53 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

It took a little longer than I expected because I got really neurotic about cleaning the rims before the new tires.

Anyway, the dropper necessitated a full housing mod, since the empty derailleur cable guides would have caused a tight bend. I’ll pick up some red and clear zip ties today to clean up the look.

25 miles on mostly green trails but some gravel, sand, dust and pavement mixed in. I used it more than I thought I would, though a 50-60mm drop would usually be adequate. Fwiw, I have only been on an MTB since March, so I’m sort of tuned to use a dropper currently.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-02-22, 10:31 PM
M Rose

It looks good. What lever did you end up using?
Old 09-03-22, 10:06 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by M Rose
It looks good. What lever did you end up using?

Fox.

This allows me to toggle the lever from the hoods or drops. It’s a push on one part of the lever from the drops and a pull from the other from the hoods. To be honest, I’m not perfectly thrilled with it. It does seem to work though.

I needed more bar tape to complete the wrap for the lever, I kinda like the look so I left the other side unchanged.
Likes For rosefarts: