Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick reference comparison chart for Rear DERs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 12:34 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

I am trying to see if there is any Shimano comparison charts for their rear DERs.

In the type of work we do we see a lot of broken/mangled rear DERs. We typical buy these in lots for 2-4 pieces but there are so many different versions of the models it makes keeping them all impossible.

Things I would like to see in the chart is cage length, number of speeds, guide wheel tooth counts, type of mounting, etc.

Anyone ever make one of these up or seen one produced by Shimano?

Thanks

Old 09-14-22, 07:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If you go to the Shimano Technical Document site and plug in the actual component part number then you can look at the exploded diagram (EV) and it's parts listing and sometimes they indicate other compatible parts for some things.

Though Shimano re-did their site a few months ago and in the process made stuff less easy to find in just a few clicks. However it's still there, you just have to work harder to find it.

Not sure that's really any help for what you are asking though.
Old 09-14-22, 09:42 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've never seen a chart with all that information. Shimano has their compatibility charts but they don't have pulley size, and type of mount.
Old 09-14-22, 01:19 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Here is a good article and also a data chart for rear derailleur compatibility. Compatibility [04] Rear derailleurs | BikeGremlin , Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains - Google Sheets Doesn't provide every single detail you might want but covers most of what you need to know. Note that Microshift has good quality derailleurs that are mostly compatible with various Shimano groups if you want to save a few bucks.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-14-22 at 01:24 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-16-22, 02:38 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Here is a good article and also a data chart for rear derailleur compatibility. Compatibility [04] Rear derailleurs | BikeGremlin , Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains - Google Sheets Doesn't provide every single detail you might want but covers most of what you need to know. Note that Microshift has good quality derailleurs that are mostly compatible with various Shimano groups if you want to save a few bucks.
Thanks for the article, there is also quite a comprehensive video about derailleurs there as well. Great for my newer volunteers.

We aren't patrial to Shimano and have seen the Microshift units as well, Prices on ebay are about the same in the $14-$15 range (including shipping), Just ordered another 8 pieces of Shimano via ebay but I will look for Microshift on the next purchase of RDERs

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-16-22 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 03:01 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
This is a lot of work for something so esoteric that maybe 10 in a million cyclists will have use for it. And will change every two or three years as new drivetrain "innovations" are introduced. But if you think it's necessary, take charge.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-17-22, 03:31 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
This is a lot of work for something so esoteric that maybe 10 in a million cyclists will have use for it. And will change every two or three years as new drivetrain "innovations" are introduced. But if you think it's necessary, take charge.
Not so much for cyclists but for guys like us (my volunteer shop) that see so many different types of bikes every week. This not really directed to high end components but more towards you big box and average bicycles.

Old 09-17-22, 01:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Quick is really in the eye of the beholder. If you have nothing then being able to get some information might be quick.

Shimano docs has an archive section that provides a lot of what you want. Unfortunately it is spread out over multiple docs by year. But in the "Specifications" column you can find charts with RD max cog, capacity and pulley size. It also has FD and crank spcs including max chainring size, chainline, and bottom bracket.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/archive

Somewhere on the internet I found an worksheet in excel that provided 1990's FD specs that someone put together. It would have to be a labor of love, but it would be possible to save the specifications documents and export them from a pdf to excel and using Adobe Acrobat (not reader). It would take time going through them to copy/cut and paste them into an excel workbook, with the tabs being different component types.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: