Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Bike, Sketchy Brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Bike, Sketchy Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 04:14 PM
YodaX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike, Sketchy Brakes

I purchased a Norco FS3 a week ago. I've ridden it about five times at this point, and am loving it (first non-department store bike I've owned). Only problem has been the front brakes (Tektro HD-M275 Hydraulic). I pulled a rookie mistake after my third ride an tried to DIY solve a rubbing brake problem, and accidentally opened a bleed port screw (big sigh). Up to that point, the brakes had been great otherwise - plenty of power and response for what I needed.

Long story short, I had to take it into the LBS for a full bleed and new brake pad. However, on my first ride after that servicing I started to experience some seriously spongy braking on the front brake midway through the ride, having to basically squeeze to the grip to stop. It did work its way out later in the ride.

I took the bike back to the LBS that did the servicing, assuming that they just hadn't been bled properly, or perhaps there was still some air in the system. LBS did a full bleed again, but when I took the bike out afterwards the problem was worse, with the spongy brakes persisting longer throughout the ride (although they started out fine). After I stopped riding, however, they seemed fine again. I called the LBS and they said to take it back to the shop where I bought the bike, and suggested it might be an issue that would prompt a warranty claim.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with these brakes? Any suggestions about what the issue might be, and how I can go about solving it? Big thanks to anyone who takes the time to offer their ideas.
Old 05-15-21, 04:56 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Take it back to the shop you bought it from. Could be something simple but let them determine what's wrong before digging yourself in a hole and voiding any warranty by damaging something trying to fix it yourself.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-16-21, 09:30 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
Sounds like they just did a bad job bleeding your brake. Give them a chance to fix it.
Old 05-16-21, 09:52 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
contaminated pads or rotor from a careless hand. brake fluid is an oil and many people have accidentally touched their rotors causing what you described. even oil off your skin will cause such issues. My opinion.
Old 05-16-21, 08:11 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
contaminated pads or rotor from a careless hand. brake fluid is an oil and many people have accidentally touched their rotors causing what you described. even oil off your skin will cause such issues. My opinion.
You are suggesting that getting brake fluid or finger oil on the pads or rotors is causing his brake lever to sometimes fully depress to engage the brakes? Why don't you take a couple of minutes to think that over and then come back to the group and apologize.
Old 05-16-21, 10:28 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking
You are suggesting that getting brake fluid or finger oil on the pads or rotors is causing his brake lever to sometimes fully depress to engage the brakes? Why don't you take a couple of minutes to think that over and then come back to the group and apologize.
What? Someone steal your training wheels? Brakes need bleeding, again. Someone F'd up. You obviously never do that haha
Old 05-16-21, 10:50 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Sounds like air in the master cylinder.

The air in the master cylinder gets jumbled about while riding and can get stuck in the piston bore. If you have good brakes while not riding - and they go downhill while riding - that's your best bet. If you have to pump the brake handle to restore pressure - that's another symptom of the same issue.

Sounds like your LBS didn't bleed all the air out of the master cylinder... twice.

I'd go to another LBS and explain what's happening - make no mention of what the other shop did - and see what they say and do.
Old 05-16-21, 11:11 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
What? Someone steal your training wheels? Brakes need bleeding, again. Someone F'd up. You obviously never do that haha
Nobody stole my training wheels, I just used them on a ride yesterday. I get some strange looks on the road, but it keeps me from falling over. I also still request a lane with bumpers when I bowl.
Old 05-16-21, 11:29 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Bubbles inside the lines give you spongy brakes. Proper bleeding gets rid of the sponginess. I don’t understand how you were getting more air in the brake lines in the middle of your ride then at the beginning or the end. My guess is brake fluid or oil on the pads / rotor. Maybe you have a slight fluid leak.
Likes For grizzly59: